publishing encoded video questions

Post by Piers Hari » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:08:09

well, the media encoder is a wonderfull tool to encode
video, but how the hell do our customers get to see the
videos (we post the demanded vid`z on cds, we do not
stream) ? most of our customers are behind firewalls (cant
d-load codec) or even dont have i-net access. Some have
older media players (no wmf formats) and are not allowed
to install aditional software from the i-net.
is it legal do distribute our video cd with all the media
player versions on it, so that our customers may install
the player? is there a possibility to distributer only the
codecs? is that legal?
if somebody from microsoft reads this: the information on
this subject is very, very poor. you definetly need to
increase the information on this subject.

greetings Piers

publishing encoded video questions

Post by Jeff Woito » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:42:33

The best place to find out information on the various aspects of our licensing is to email

As for the  issues you're raising, agreed it can be tricky as to how to get the proper codecs out to users
who do not have Internet access.  Fortunately, there's a codec installer within the WM Resource Kit,
which is a free download at
http://microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/technologies/resource/defau....

Please, though, check the EULA before you place these files on your CD, as I believe the licensing

a technical question and more a legal question.

--------------------

Subject: publishing encoded video questions
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:08:09 -0800

well, the media encoder is a wonderfull tool to encode
video, but how the hell do our customers get to see the
videos (we post the demanded vid`z on cds, we do not
stream) ? most of our customers are behind firewalls (cant
d-load codec) or even dont have i-net access. Some have
older media players (no wmf formats) and are not allowed
to install aditional software from the i-net.
is it legal do distribute our video cd with all the media
player versions on it, so that our customers may install
the player? is there a possibility to distributer only the
codecs? is that legal?
if somebody from microsoft reads this: the information on
this subject is very, very poor. you definetly need to
increase the information on this subject.
greetings Piers

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your
use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I regret that I cannot reply to you if you email me directly.  It is better that you post your question back to
the newsgroup - more people will see your question and be able to offer help, and to learn from it as
well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online resources for support:

TechNet --for IT Professionals and Administrators: http://technet.microsoft.com

MSDN -- a great resource for developers: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28000411.

Assisted Support

Support information for Windows Media Player and the other downloadable Windows Media
technologies (not including the Windows Media Resource Kit, which is not supported) is available
through Microsoft Product Support Services. To get your latest support options, go to Microsoft
Product Support Services.

Mailing Lists and Newsgroups

Microsoft provides a mailing list and newsgroup for you to provide feedback on this release.

For more information about mailing lists and newsgroups, visit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/newsgroups/topi...
files/028/201/118/topic.xml.

 Peer discussion on Microsoft-sponsored mailing lists and newsgroups
A Microsoft-sponsored public list server e-mail discussion group offers peer-based support.

blank and for the message text, type "SUBSCRIBE WMTALK your name". For example:

SUBSCRIBE WMTALK John Doe

blank and for the message text, type "SIGNOFF WMTALK".

Several Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups offer peer-based support on Windows Media
Technologies:

microsoft.public.windowsmedia.technologies
microsoft.public.windowsmedia.technologies.rightsmanager

For more information about how to read newsgroups, visit
http://support.microsoft.com/support/news/howto/.

 Reporting bugs by e-mail

reporting only. General product support is not available via this process.

Include the following information in your bug report:

Product name and date obtained.
System information: type of machine, processor, amount of RAM, video card, sound device, video
capture device, etc.
Operating system.
A concise 1-sentence description of the problem.
A verbose description of the problem.
Details or steps to reproduce the problem.
Full contact information, if follow up is necessary.

1. Encoding series of BMP frames caught from video camera into Mpeg4 - Question!

Hi, I need to convert a series of BMP frames to Mpeg4, and to be able to get
raw Mpeg4 stream frame by frame.
I am using IWMWriterSink interface and trying to get data in it's callback
functions, but it doesn't work good.
Any ideas or any experience in this field?
                    Maxim.

2. HELP: dos function under NT - Why doesn't this code work ?

3. Disabling "Closing DIsk"

4. Help encoding laser disc video and VHS video to MPEG files

5. Windows ident using NetWare username?

6. Publish VIDEO PICTURES

7. Restart problem

8. video webcast of on-line publishing conf.

9. Question about live broadcast (unicast publishing)

10. Broadcast publishing point question!?!?

11. Question about live broadcast (unicast publishing)

12. Newbie CD-ROM publishing question