WMP7 BETA vs Preview

Post by AD » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

I noticed on a site that a new media player was out so I stopped by
microsoft's site to check it out.  It seemed pretty nice and had some
nice features, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Well, I click on
download WMP7 Beta and the Preview version downloads instead.  Has
anyone else experienced this?  If so, where can I get the beta version
and not the preview?  Then again, after reading the posts here about it,
I don't think I'll install either version on my machine.

WMP7 BETA vs Preview

Post by Alan Collin » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Yes, I had the same problem when downloading to some of our University PCs.
What I noted was that it occurred when the PC was using a Netscape browser
to download (preview version downloaded) and was OK using IE 5 (Beta
downloaded).  I don't know why this happens but if you use IE5 you should
download the Beta OK.

Quote:> I noticed on a site that a new media player was out so I stopped by
> microsoft's site to check it out.  It seemed pretty nice and had some
> nice features, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Well, I click on
> download WMP7 Beta and the Preview version downloads instead.  Has
> anyone else experienced this?  If so, where can I get the beta version
> and not the preview?  Then again, after reading the posts here about it,
> I don't think I'll install either version on my machine.

WMP7 BETA vs Preview

Post by AD » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Ah, thank you very much.  Now, do you suggest using it at all?  It seems that
it isn't worth the trouble to try.

> Yes, I had the same problem when downloading to some of our University PCs.
> What I noted was that it occurred when the PC was using a Netscape browser
> to download (preview version downloaded) and was OK using IE 5 (Beta
> downloaded).  I don't know why this happens but if you use IE5 you should
> download the Beta OK.

> > I noticed on a site that a new media player was out so I stopped by
> > microsoft's site to check it out.  It seemed pretty nice and had some
> > nice features, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Well, I click on
> > download WMP7 Beta and the Preview version downloads instead.  Has
> > anyone else experienced this?  If so, where can I get the beta version
> > and not the preview?  Then again, after reading the posts here about it,
> > I don't think I'll install either version on my machine.

WMP7 BETA vs Preview

Post by Alan Collin » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Sorry to play the role of a previous Archbishop of Canterbury, of whom one
commentator stated that, "he was a man who nailed his colours firmly to the
fence".  It is worth using the Windows Media Player beta 7.0 if you want to
replay .asf files.  When I tried this with 6.4 the sound worked but there
was no picture.  6.4 played broadcast video OK though.  Another benefit is
that in 7 beta the player is resizeable, like any other window, giving you
greater control over the actual screen size.  A big downer for the beta
player, at present, is that it is only available for Win98 and Win2000, NOT
WinNT.  BTW if you have a .asf file saved, that you wish to play using the
6.4 viewer, I found that it was necessary to convert it to .asx format.  I
did this by using IE5 to view my .asf file directory on my server.  I right
clicked on the file I was interested in and saved it to a local drive.  The
browser automatically converted the .asf to a .asx file, suitable for
viewing using 6.4.  I hope my comments are of help.

> Ah, thank you very much.  Now, do you suggest using it at all?  It seems
that
> it isn't worth the trouble to try.

> > Yes, I had the same problem when downloading to some of our University
PCs.
> > What I noted was that it occurred when the PC was using a Netscape
browser
> > to download (preview version downloaded) and was OK using IE 5 (Beta
> > downloaded).  I don't know why this happens but if you use IE5 you
should
> > download the Beta OK.

> > > I noticed on a site that a new media player was out so I stopped by
> > > microsoft's site to check it out.  It seemed pretty nice and had some
> > > nice features, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Well, I click on
> > > download WMP7 Beta and the Preview version downloads instead.  Has
> > > anyone else experienced this?  If so, where can I get the beta version
> > > and not the preview?  Then again, after reading the posts here about
it,
> > > I don't think I'll install either version on my machine.

1. WMP7 vs MP Tech Preview 2

Hi all,

Running both the above on my iPAQ, I've found that the tech preview 2 is
worse as video playback than the normal Media Player 7... is this right? MS'
website reckons that Tech Preview 2 is better on the iPAQ. Any suggestions?

I'm playing files I've created in Windows Media Encoder using the 'iPAQ'
custom profile.

Cheers,

-SteveC-

2. cd-rw

3. WMP9 vs WMP7 vs 6.4 on W2K?

4. Looking for info on how to write a NFS client for Windows

5. Real Entertainment Center Plus *beta* vs. Windows Media Player 7 *beta*

6. Password for Clipboard ?

7. WMP7 Tech Preview 2 - Streaming experiences?

8. Windows help files

9. previewing AVI's in Me/WMP7

10. Installation of WMP7 Beta on Win2k

11. Cannot install WMP7 Beta.

12. WMP7 Beta will not install - help appreciated

13. OK, so The Lyra is *suppsoed* to be supported in the WMP7 Beta...