MP9 .avi file problem

Post by Nick Haybal » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:54:51

Hi everyone! I just downloaded my shiny new Media Player
9, tried to watch some .avi files. got perfext audio but
no visuals at all! Saw a very brief messge flash on the
status bar, "Can't download codec"
Any ideas anybody? Played these files fine before I got
the download...

MP9 .avi file problem

Post by Quintin Rii » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:53:13

You need to update your codecs.  WMP should connect to a
codec server and do this automatically for you when it
encounters a file that it does not have the proper codec
to play.

Divx is one of the more popular codecs out there.  Do you
have it on your system?  Downloading it may fix your
problem.

~q

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi everyone! I just downloaded my shiny new Media Player
>9, tried to watch some .avi files. got perfext audio but
>no visuals at all! Saw a very brief messge flash on the
>status bar, "Can't download codec"
>Any ideas anybody? Played these files fine before I got
>the download...
>.

MP9 .avi file problem

Post by Calvii » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:30:37

I have encountered the same problem, I have tried
downloading Divx 5.0    Nothing has worked yet.  I wish I
knew why it won't play my .avi files.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You need to update your codecs.  WMP should connect to a
>codec server and do this automatically for you when it
>encounters a file that it does not have the proper codec
>to play.

>Divx is one of the more popular codecs out there.  Do you
>have it on your system?  Downloading it may fix your
>problem.

>~q

MP9 .avi file problem

Post by zachd [ms » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:57:41

 http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#codec
may help with this.

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
--

Quote:> Hi everyone! I just downloaded my shiny new Media Player
> 9, tried to watch some .avi files. got perfext audio but
> no visuals at all! Saw a very brief messge flash on the
> status bar, "Can't download codec"
> Any ideas anybody? Played these files fine before I got
> the download...

1. MP9: ADPCM codec missing for .AVI files

I have two machines running WinXP-Home and one running WinXP-Pro. I have
come across several .AVI files that will play properly in Media Player (8 or
9) on the Home machines but will not play on the Pro machine (with DirectX
9.0a and media player 9).

The Gspot diagnostic program reports that those files require a dvi_adpcm
codec and that it is NOT installed on the Pro machine.

On the nearest Home machine, Gspot reports that the IMA ADPCM codec IS
installed, and that the driver file is C:\Windows\system32\imaadp32.acm.
That file exists on the Pro machine, but . . .

Can anyone tell me how to get the IMA ADPCM codec installed _and_ working on
my Pro machine?

Thanks.

2. IIS and XP

3. AVI file won't play on MP9

4. removing "blank" homepage

5. MP9 will not play .AVI files.

6. Audio CD's no longer supported under Windows 2000 SP3

7. mp9 on w2k -- avi codec problem!

8. Outlook

9. i want the AVI file change becase other media programs don't play changing AVI

10. Move Maker 2 AVI File Generation NV-AVI

11. MP9 trying to play WMV files!!!

12. MP9 doesn't recognize .cda file

13. Organizing actual files with MP9