Media Player won't play from Windows XP Explorer

Media Player won't play from Windows XP Explorer

Post by -r- » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:26:19

What a strange problem! Double-clicking a media file suddenly stopped
working. It starts Media Player, but it won't play. Drag and drop shows the
"forbidden" icon, the circle with a diagonal line. I tried reinstalling
Media Player (MPSetupXP.exe) to no avail. If I drag a file to a command
console and hit enter, it plays.

I'd sure appreciate some advice on this. I have all the latest updates from
Windows Update.

Thanks!

1. XP Media Player won't play Windows Media Audio

Any time I try to play an .AVI in which the audio is
encoded in Windows Media Audio V2 format, I get silence.
I used the auto-download to get the codec then played it,
nothing.  I re-downloaded, restarted, and played:
nothing.  I downloaded the .exe for all media updates
from microsoft, installed it, restarted, tried to play
the file:  nothing.

I can play everything just fine if I reboot into Windows
98.  It's only in XP that I have a problem.

Odd how a Microsoft player can't play a Microsoft codec.

2. how to access shared music files

3. windows media player won't play wvx files in windows XP

4. Time Limitations

5. windows media player 7.1 won't play internet media

6. How does printer redirection work?

7. XP - Win media player won't play DVDs

8. removing golf 2.0

9. Media Player 8.0 won't play videos in internet explorer

10. XP media Player won't play all MPEG's

11. Media player xp won't play dvds after update xp sp1

12. Windows Media Player Won't play CD's

13. Windows Media Player won't play avi's