All videos play upside down!

Post by Pete » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:56:16

All of my video play upside down, not certain ones.  I
can't seem to find an option to rotate the video back
around so it is straight.  Please help and thank you!

All videos play upside down!

Post by Zhanbo Sun [MS » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:21:55

Please check out http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#upsidedown.

Zhanbo Sun [MS]
Digital Media Division
=============
The use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Quote:> All of my video play upside down, not certain ones.  I
> can't seem to find an option to rotate the video back
> around so it is straight.  Please help and thank you!

All videos play upside down!

Post by Chris Thor » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:54:10

I have the same problem too: AVI files (not MPEGs) play upside down and back
to front. I followed the advice in the link Zhanbo posted, and although my
videos now play in the correct orientation, it is not possible to resize
them any more, and they do not sit centrally in the WMP window.

I don't know how the problem started, it just started very suddenly. The
only real changes to my computer lately have been the installation of
server/FTP programs such as Apache 2.0.44 and RhinoSoft Serv-U FTP Server.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9 Series a couple of times, and have
also deleted all the codecs from Device Manager, but none of this has helped
at all. The movies play upside down and back to front in RealOne Player, and
in PowerDVD XP too. DivX Player 5.0.3 won't play the AVI files at all.

> Please check out http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#upsidedown.

> Thanks,
> --
> Zhanbo Sun [MS]
> Digital Media Division
> =============
rights.
> The use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified
at

> > All of my video play upside down, not certain ones.  I
> > can't seem to find an option to rotate the video back
> > around so it is straight.  Please help and thank you!

All videos play upside down!

Post by Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:57:56

Can you verify whether turning hardware acceleration on/off
changes anything? You can tell if video hardware
acceleration is on by taking a snapshot of the screen (e.g.
using the PrintScreen key then pasting into the Paint
program): if you capture the video, it's off while, if you
only get a solid rectangle, it's on (of course, don't use a
capture program that can capture DirectDraw's overlay
surfaces). You can turn video hardware acceleration on/off
in WindowsMediaPlayer's options (also in RealPlayer's, it's
called something like "optimized video").

Quote:> I have the same problem too: AVI files (not MPEGs) play

upside down and back
> to front. I followed the advice in the link Zhanbo posted,
and although my
> videos now play in the correct orientation, it is not
possible to resize
> them any more, and they do not sit centrally in the WMP
window.

> I don't know how the problem started, it just started very
suddenly. The
> only real changes to my computer lately have been the
installation of
> server/FTP programs such as Apache 2.0.44 and RhinoSoft
Serv-U FTP Server.

> I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9 Series a couple
of times, and have
> also deleted all the codecs from Device Manager, but none
of this has helped
> at all. The movies play upside down and back to front in
RealOne Player, and
> in PowerDVD XP too. DivX Player 5.0.3 won't play the AVI
files at all.

message

> > Please check out

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#upsidedown.

> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Zhanbo Sun [MS]
> > Digital Media Division
> > =============
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no
> rights.
> > The use of any included script samples are subject to
the terms specified
> at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> > > All of my video play upside down, not certain ones.  I
> > > can't seem to find an option to rotate the video back
> > > around so it is straight.  Please help and thank you!

All videos play upside down!

Post by Chri » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:38:47

I reset WMP's settings to default, and used the Print Screen button on my
keyboard to take a snapshot, and when I pasted it in Paint, you could see
the video image, and not a blank rectangle. The only option that makes the
video turn the right way round is Tools -> Options -> Performance
(tab) ->Advanced... and under Video Acceleration, I uncheck "Use video
mixing renderer". This, however, means I can't resize the video, and it
appears at 100% size in the bottom left of the WMP window.

Does it seem as if hardware acceleration is off? If it is, will turning it
on make a difference? How do I re-enable it?

Many thanks,

Chris

> Can you verify whether turning hardware acceleration on/off
> changes anything? You can tell if video hardware
> acceleration is on by taking a snapshot of the screen (e.g.
> using the PrintScreen key then pasting into the Paint
> program): if you capture the video, it's off while, if you
> only get a solid rectangle, it's on (of course, don't use a
> capture program that can capture DirectDraw's overlay
> surfaces). You can turn video hardware acceleration on/off
> in WindowsMediaPlayer's options (also in RealPlayer's, it's
> called something like "optimized video").

> > I have the same problem too: AVI files (not MPEGs) play
> upside down and back
> > to front. I followed the advice in the link Zhanbo posted,
> and although my
> > videos now play in the correct orientation, it is not
> possible to resize
> > them any more, and they do not sit centrally in the WMP
> window.

> > I don't know how the problem started, it just started very
> suddenly. The
> > only real changes to my computer lately have been the
> installation of
> > server/FTP programs such as Apache 2.0.44 and RhinoSoft
> Serv-U FTP Server.

> > I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9 Series a couple
> of times, and have
> > also deleted all the codecs from Device Manager, but none
> of this has helped
> > at all. The movies play upside down and back to front in
> RealOne Player, and
> > in PowerDVD XP too. DivX Player 5.0.3 won't play the AVI
> files at all.

> message

> > > Please check out
> http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#upsidedown.

> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Zhanbo Sun [MS]
> > > Digital Media Division
> > > =============
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no
> > rights.
> > > The use of any included script samples are subject to
> the terms specified
> > at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

All videos play upside down!

Post by Chri » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:42:28

I just tried Start -> Run... "dxdiag", and it said something like "Hardware
acceleration is turned off whilst Microsoft NetMeeting is running"!! Can you
believe it! The problem is now sorted.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris

> Can you verify whether turning hardware acceleration on/off
> changes anything? You can tell if video hardware
> acceleration is on by taking a snapshot of the screen (e.g.
> using the PrintScreen key then pasting into the Paint
> program): if you capture the video, it's off while, if you
> only get a solid rectangle, it's on (of course, don't use a
> capture program that can capture DirectDraw's overlay
> surfaces). You can turn video hardware acceleration on/off
> in WindowsMediaPlayer's options (also in RealPlayer's, it's
> called something like "optimized video").

> > I have the same problem too: AVI files (not MPEGs) play
> upside down and back
> > to front. I followed the advice in the link Zhanbo posted,
> and although my
> > videos now play in the correct orientation, it is not
> possible to resize
> > them any more, and they do not sit centrally in the WMP
> window.

> > I don't know how the problem started, it just started very
> suddenly. The
> > only real changes to my computer lately have been the
> installation of
> > server/FTP programs such as Apache 2.0.44 and RhinoSoft
> Serv-U FTP Server.

> > I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9 Series a couple
> of times, and have
> > also deleted all the codecs from Device Manager, but none
> of this has helped
> > at all. The movies play upside down and back to front in
> RealOne Player, and
> > in PowerDVD XP too. DivX Player 5.0.3 won't play the AVI
> files at all.

> message

> > > Please check out
> http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#upsidedown.

> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Zhanbo Sun [MS]
> > > Digital Media Division
> > > =============
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no
> > rights.
> > > The use of any included script samples are subject to
> the terms specified
> > at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

All videos play upside down!

Post by Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:11:08

If I had known you were using NetMeeting I could have told
you right away ;) It's been an issue for a long time now,
who knows why they disable hardware overlay.

Quote:> I just tried Start -> Run... "dxdiag", and it said

something like "Hardware
Quote:> acceleration is turned off whilst Microsoft NetMeeting is
running"!! Can you
> believe it! The problem is now sorted.

> Thanks for the inspiration!

> Chris

> "Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia]"

> > Can you verify whether turning hardware acceleration
on/off
> > changes anything? You can tell if video hardware
> > acceleration is on by taking a snapshot of the screen
(e.g.
> > using the PrintScreen key then pasting into the Paint
> > program): if you capture the video, it's off while, if
you
> > only get a solid rectangle, it's on (of course, don't
use a
> > capture program that can capture DirectDraw's overlay
> > surfaces). You can turn video hardware acceleration
on/off
> > in WindowsMediaPlayer's options (also in RealPlayer's,
it's
> > called something like "optimized video").

> > > I have the same problem too: AVI files (not MPEGs)
play
> > upside down and back
> > > to front. I followed the advice in the link Zhanbo
posted,
> > and although my
> > > videos now play in the correct orientation, it is not
> > possible to resize
> > > them any more, and they do not sit centrally in the
WMP
> > window.

> > > I don't know how the problem started, it just started
very
> > suddenly. The
> > > only real changes to my computer lately have been the
> > installation of
> > > server/FTP programs such as Apache 2.0.44 and
RhinoSoft
> > Serv-U FTP Server.

> > > I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9 Series a
couple
> > of times, and have
> > > also deleted all the codecs from Device Manager, but
none
> > of this has helped
> > > at all. The movies play upside down and back to front
in
> > RealOne Player, and
> > > in PowerDVD XP too. DivX Player 5.0.3 won't play the
AVI
> > files at all.

in