Unable to remove program with "Add/Remove" option

Unable to remove program with "Add/Remove" option

Post by Phil » Thu, 08 May 2003 07:05:22

I have installed in my computer using Windows XP, a game
from a CD. After installing it, I have tried to remove it
using "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel,
but it refuse to do this. An error message
appears "InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered
a problem and needs to close. We are very sorry for the
inconvenience." How can I remove the program?? Hellppp!!!

Post by Mike Muelle » Thu, 08 May 2003 07:18:09

: I have installed in my computer using Windows XP, a game
: from a CD. After installing it, I have tried to remove it
: using "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel,
: but it refuse to do this. An error message
: appears "InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered
: a problem and needs to close. We are very sorry for the
: inconvenience." How can I remove the program?? Hellppp!!!

Here is my generic Installshield problem eliminator.  Delete
the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield.
Empty the Temp folder and the Recycle Bin.  Restart and try
again.  The reason is usually the Installshield folder,
which is created whenever an Installshield operation is
done.  Basically it is another temp folder, and the program
uses both for the operation.  Installshield has had many
flavors in its life and sometimes an application uses an
older version and its support files conflict with the
remnants of the last installshield operation.

--
M^2

Unable to remove program with "Add/Remove" option

Post by Bob » Thu, 08 May 2003 08:45:33

Phil,

If Mike's suggestion doesn't work, you could try doing a System Restore to a
time just before you installed the game.  Beware that you will also lose
anything you may have installed after that as well.

-Bob

Quote:> : I have installed in my computer using Windows XP, a game
> : from a CD. After installing it, I have tried to remove it
> : using "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel,
> : but it refuse to do this. An error message
> : appears "InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered
> : a problem and needs to close. We are very sorry for the
> : inconvenience." How can I remove the program?? Hellppp!!!

> Here is my generic Installshield problem eliminator.  Delete
> the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield.
> Empty the Temp folder and the Recycle Bin.  Restart and try
> again.  The reason is usually the Installshield folder,
> which is created whenever an Installshield operation is
> done.  Basically it is another temp folder, and the program
> uses both for the operation.  Installshield has had many
> flavors in its life and sometimes an application uses an
> older version and its support files conflict with the
> remnants of the last installshield operation.

> --
> M^2

Unable to remove program with "Add/Remove" option

Post by Dragonhear » Thu, 08 May 2003 11:12:42

I would not even go into the more drastic measures the
others are suggesting untill you try this first.  From
much experience, most problems removing a program are due
to currupted uninstall files in the program itself.  God
knows why, but this happens a lot for whatever reason.
Often this can be resolved by reinstalling the
game/program again without removing it first.  Yes, I am
talking about just installing the thing on top of the old
one like you are installing it for the first time.  It
will almost always install the files that were currupted
that make it uninstallable again.  In plain english, put
the disc in and install, then restart, then try to remove
it by the program's uninstaller or the add/remove
programs option.  I'm  willing to be this will do it for
ya.

Post by Mike Muelle » Thu, 08 May 2003 22:18:15

Dragonheart-
You are correct that this is a good idea.  I had assumed
this was done and I shouldn't have.  Also, Installshield
will usually tell you the when the file is corrupted.
--
M^2

[...]

::
:: -Bob
::
::

:::: I have installed in my computer using Windows XP, a
:::: game from a CD. After installing it, I have tried to
:::: remove it using "Add/Remove Programs" option in the
:::: Control Panel, but it refuse to do this. An error
:::: message
:::: appears "InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has
:::: encountered a problem and needs to close. We are very
:::: sorry for the inconvenience." How can I remove the
:::: program?? Hellppp!!!
:::
::: Here is my generic Installshield problem eliminator.
::: Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common
::: Files\InstallShield. Empty the Temp folder and the
::: Recycle Bin.  Restart
: and try
::: again.  The reason is usually the Installshield folder,
::: which is created whenever an Installshield operation is
::: done.  Basically it is another temp folder, and the
::: program uses both for the operation.  Installshield has
::: had many flavors in its life and sometimes an
::: application uses an older version and its support files
::: conflict with the remnants of the last installshield
::: operation.
:::
::: --
::: M^2