Surround sound not working with TV

Post by LesMoa » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:48:21

I have a new HP 854n, which came with 2.1 system ability.
I installed a 5.1 card and everything sounds great in 5.1
except MyTV. Does anyone know if that is all I can get
out of the 854n or is there a setting I am missing? TIA

   ... Les

Surround sound not working with TV

Post by Andrew Clark [MVP » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:03:49

Tv will generally not be broadcast in 5.1 surround sound,
which is why you are not getting it.  Some TV shows, such
as Simspons, broadcast in regular Pro Logic surround
sound.  But unless the feed is in 5.1 you won't get it.

Andrew Clark
MVP - Windows Media Center

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a new HP 854n, which came with 2.1 system ability.
>I installed a 5.1 card and everything sounds great in 5.1
>except MyTV. Does anyone know if that is all I can get
>out of the 854n or is there a setting I am missing? TIA

>   ... Les
>.

Surround sound not working with TV

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:06:15

TV is only transmitted in stereo, so you will only get 2 channels.  The
capture board does not support expanded stereo or Dolby.  You may be able to
change the properties of your DVD decoder using the DVD program and change
the audio properties to expand stereo (this will clone the left and right to
the rear left and right), but the changes may not stick for media center.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server

Quote:> I have a new HP 854n, which came with 2.1 system ability.
> I installed a 5.1 card and everything sounds great in 5.1
> except MyTV. Does anyone know if that is all I can get
> out of the 854n or is there a setting I am missing? TIA

>    ... Les

Surround sound not working with TV

Post by LesMoa » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:06:08

Thanks for the info. I knew I had heard something on the
TV out of all of the speakers. I was listening to NASCAR
last week and they do a "Crank It Up" thingy in Surround
Sound and it sounded like I was sitting in the middle of
the track. I didn't realize that I was getting anything
out of the rear speakers before that.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Tv will generally not be broadcast in 5.1 surround
sound,
>which is why you are not getting it.  Some TV shows,
such
>as Simspons, broadcast in regular Pro Logic surround
>sound.  But unless the feed is in 5.1 you won't get it.

>Andrew Clark
>MVP - Windows Media Center

1. Surround Sound isn't working

I have a SB Live card with that supported surround sound BEFORE I put in
XP.  4 speakers, 1 sub (From Cambridge I might add)  Now that XP is on,
the sound card works, and supports surround sound when I click on the
option, but I only have 1 speaker working (front left) and the
subwoofer.  Any clue as to why I can't get the other 3 speakers working?

Thanks
Marc

2. I'm having trouble installing wine

3. Getting surround sound to work

4. how do u make IE the default browser

5. how do i get my surround sound to work zxr-550

6. printer capture

7. Tv sound not always working

8. Start menu

9. Problems with Rear Sound in Surround Sound Mode

10. Surround Speakers not working after Windows update

11. Avi sound not work with Direct sound

12. ATI TV Tuner - Recording TV - Video/Sound Issues

13. no sound or sound card not working properly