Having WMP-7.1 recognise all songs on computer

Having WMP-7.1 recognise all songs on computer

Post by Fred » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:36:17

Having problem with wmp 7.1 and win2000 setup,it is not
finding all songs in wmp.Scanned hard drive,and the
particular folder with music and it doesn't get all my
songs.Upgraded to win-xp and wmp 8 and it did find  all
the songs on pc.Due to other issue with XP had to go back
to win2000 and wmp 7.1.How can I get 7.1 to see all the
songs if wmp 8 can?
Also media library in either versions of wmp seem to be
giving double listing  of one artists, having half the
songs with one listing and the other half with the other
listing of that artist,why is this and can I get it to
list all the songs for that artist under one listing for
that artist?
Please help
Fred
you can post answer here or email me at above email.

Post by zachd [ms » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:32:26

--

Quote:> Having problem with wmp 7.1 and win2000 setup,it is not
> finding all songs in wmp.Scanned hard drive,and the
> particular folder with music and it doesn't get all my
> songs.Upgraded to win-xp and wmp 8 and it did find  all
> the songs on pc.Due to other issue with XP had to go back
> to win2000 and wmp 7.1.How can I get 7.1 to see all the
> songs if wmp 8 can?

Erk.  If I recall correctly - and I'm stretching my brain here - there were
*certain* MP3 files that had weird ID3 data that WMP7 just couldn't read.
Using an ID3 remover would certainly get those files found again, but ... I
don't know if that's desirable since the ID3 metadata would then be gone.
You could try: back up your library to some location, upgrade to XP, restore
your old library (which is usually a no-no cross operating systems and in
fact would mean you've just disabled DVD playback but we're not worrying
about that now [you'd have to run 'regsvr32 wmpcore.dll' to restore DVD
playback...]), scan all the media, back up the library again, then revert
back to W2K...

Quote:> Also media library in either versions of wmp seem to be
> giving double listing  of one artists, having half the
> songs with one listing and the other half with the other
> listing of that artist,why is this and can I get it to
> list all the songs for that artist under one listing for
> that artist?

Probably the artist listings don't actually match - maybe an extra space or
whatnot.  If they do match exactly and it's still double-listing, it's
likely some weird bug.

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.