Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by Jay » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 01:56:09

Hi All:

My MCE box has 512 MB of CL2 PC2100 DDR physical RAM.
There's much debate across the net as to whether or not a
swapfile is actually needed when physical ram is 512MB or
more.

For instance, XP Pro itself does not need a swapfile to
run stable. You run into trouble when/if the peak Commit
Charge begins to approach the amount of physical RAM.
However, I have difficulty exceeding ~350 MB, and that's
with services, the entire Office 2000 suite, IE6, and
Nero all opened at the same time. In other words, I need
to find a lot more to do with an XP based computer to
begin to approach maxing out 512 MB of physical ram.

However, some games and programs like photoshop
ABSOLUTELY require some form of a swap file, NO MATTER
HOW MUCH RAM ONE HAS. However, are the functions of MCE
that go above and beyond those of XP Pro SP1 require a
swap file??

The problem with a swapfile on a one physical HD system
(like how MCE is sold out of the box) is that video
recording will absolutely suck if the OS is
simultaneously writing to the swapfile. If it's not there
in MCE, nothing else will be written to the HD while MCE
is recording your TV shows. That's potentially a good
thing. Also, deletion of the pagefile space and
hibernation file space will recover 1.25 GB of hard drive
space, which will also translate into extra recording
time!

So, will disabling the paging executive on an MCE box
that's will only be used for MCE functionality/UI, e-mail
(Outlook 2K), and internet (IE6) be a detriment or an
enhancement.

One last thing. The only functionality of the OS that
absolutely requires a page file is if you use a Write
Debugging File, which can range in size from the Kernel
size all the way up to total physical ram. However, if
you select "none" under Write debugging information on
the Startup and Recovery tab of System Properties, then
failures won't be written to a page file (and thus, you
have to copy the error messages on the blue screen of
death to manually trouble shoot). I've never gotten a
blue screen with XP Pro (knock on wood), and I've been
using it since RC1.

Actually, any beneficial MCE system tweaking tips you
guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'm of the
opinion to keep the system as lean as possible in such a
way to retain all desired functionality. Any other advice
beyond the pagefile is welcome.

Thanks,
Jay :-)

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by Chris H » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:11:03

I, for one believe it is pure folly to eliminate the Page File on any
Windows XP system, whether it is Media Center Edition or a straight home
system running the Home edition.  You may want to nose around the
information on Page File at www.aumha.org, and specifically MVP Alex
Nichol's article on the tie-in with virtual memory management,
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpvm.htm .  I think you'll find his information
interesting and helpful.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

Quote:> Hi All:

> My MCE box has 512 MB of CL2 PC2100 DDR physical RAM.
> There's much debate across the net as to whether or not a
> swapfile is actually needed when physical ram is 512MB or
> more.

> For instance, XP Pro itself does not need a swapfile to
> run stable. You run into trouble when/if the peak Commit
> Charge begins to approach the amount of physical RAM.
> However, I have difficulty exceeding ~350 MB, and that's
> with services, the entire Office 2000 suite, IE6, and
> Nero all opened at the same time. In other words, I need
> to find a lot more to do with an XP based computer to
> begin to approach maxing out 512 MB of physical ram.

> However, some games and programs like photoshop
> ABSOLUTELY require some form of a swap file, NO MATTER
> HOW MUCH RAM ONE HAS. However, are the functions of MCE
> that go above and beyond those of XP Pro SP1 require a
> swap file??

> The problem with a swapfile on a one physical HD system
> (like how MCE is sold out of the box) is that video
> recording will absolutely suck if the OS is
> simultaneously writing to the swapfile. If it's not there
> in MCE, nothing else will be written to the HD while MCE
> is recording your TV shows. That's potentially a good
> thing. Also, deletion of the pagefile space and
> hibernation file space will recover 1.25 GB of hard drive
> space, which will also translate into extra recording
> time!

> So, will disabling the paging executive on an MCE box
> that's will only be used for MCE functionality/UI, e-mail
> (Outlook 2K), and internet (IE6) be a detriment or an
> enhancement.

> One last thing. The only functionality of the OS that
> absolutely requires a page file is if you use a Write
> Debugging File, which can range in size from the Kernel
> size all the way up to total physical ram. However, if
> you select "none" under Write debugging information on
> the Startup and Recovery tab of System Properties, then
> failures won't be written to a page file (and thus, you
> have to copy the error messages on the blue screen of
> death to manually trouble shoot). I've never gotten a
> blue screen with XP Pro (knock on wood), and I've been
> using it since RC1.

> Actually, any beneficial MCE system tweaking tips you
> guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'm of the
> opinion to keep the system as lean as possible in such a
> way to retain all desired functionality. Any other advice
> beyond the pagefile is welcome.

> Thanks,
> Jay :-)

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by Jay » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:22:19

Chris:

Thanks for the link. I was always under the impression
that a fixed PF or no page file was best. The link you
gave me is really good.

Thanks,
Jay

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
> [...]

>> you select "none" under Write debugging information on
>> the Startup and Recovery tab of System Properties, then
>> failures won't be written to a page file (and thus, you
>> have to copy the error messages on the blue screen of
>> death to manually trouble shoot). I've never gotten a
>> blue screen with XP Pro (knock on wood), and I've been
>> using it since RC1.

>> Actually, any beneficial MCE system tweaking tips you
>> guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'm of the
>> opinion to keep the system as lean as possible in such
>> way to retain all desired functionality. Any other
advice
>> beyond the pagefile is welcome.

>> Thanks,
>> Jay :-)

>.

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by Chris H » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:36:58

Hope you enjoy the information, Jay.  Alex Nichol is pretty much a master of
those things, and I often rely on his information - and freely pass it along
because I believe in it.  Windows XP does things differently than the
"normal" operating system from the Win9x line, and it takes a while to
understand what it is doing.  For instance, like Windows 2000, XP "stacks"
different devices on IRQs and it is a very, very rare situation where one
device has a conflict with another on the same IRQ.  I have six different
devices on one desktop on IRQ 11, for instance, without problems.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> Chris:

> Thanks for the link. I was always under the impression
> that a fixed PF or no page file was best. The link you
> gave me is really good.

> Thanks,
> Jay

Post by Jay » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 02:50:11

One other thing, If you do have a page file, what's your
take on dumping it at shutdown. Sure, sutdown times will
take longer, but will this lead to a more "secure"
environment and better performance when you boot up
again?? The modification I'm referring to is...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Sessi
on Manager\Memory Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001

I know this is a MCE forum, but my original post was
about how these changes may affect MCE.

My questions arize from the concept of tweaking to
ultimately get better live tv playback in MCE, which at
times, can be choppy. All the latest Windows Updates are
installed, BTW.

Thanks again,
Jay

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
> [...]

>> you select "none" under Write debugging information on
>> the Startup and Recovery tab of System Properties, then
>> failures won't be written to a page file (and thus, you
>> have to copy the error messages on the blue screen of
>> death to manually trouble shoot). I've never gotten a
>> blue screen with XP Pro (knock on wood), and I've been
>> using it since RC1.

>> Actually, any beneficial MCE system tweaking tips you
>> guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'm of the
>> opinion to keep the system as lean as possible in such
>> way to retain all desired functionality. Any other
advice
>> beyond the pagefile is welcome.

>> Thanks,
>> Jay :-)

>.

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by jay » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:01:04

You seem to be reading my mind. I was a little disturbed
by the level of IRQ sharing that I noticed in my Hardware
properties. This was going to be my next point of
research regarding XP/MCE. Conventional (ie W9x) wisdom
always said that reducing IRQ sharing was good. Now I'm
not so worried :-)

Jay

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hope you enjoy the information, Jay.  Alex Nichol is

pretty much a master of
Quote:>those things, and I often rely on his information - and

freely pass it along
Quote:>because I believe in it.  Windows XP does things

differently than the
>"normal" operating system from the Win9x line, and it
takes a while to
>understand what it is doing.  For instance, like Windows
2000, XP "stacks"
>different devices on IRQs and it is a very, very rare
situation where one
>device has a conflict with another on the same IRQ.  I
have six different
>devices on one desktop on IRQ 11, for instance, without
problems.
>--
>Chris H.
>Microsoft Windows MVP
>Associate Expert

>> Chris:

>> Thanks for the link. I was always under the impression
>> that a fixed PF or no page file was best. The link you
>> gave me is really good.

>> Thanks,
>> Jay

message

RAM.
>> not a
512MB
>> or

swapfile to
>> Commit
RAM.
>> that's
and
>> need

MATTER
MCE
require a

system
>> there
>> MCE
good
>> drive
recording

box
e-
>> mail
an

that
Write
Kernel
if
on
then
you
of
been

you
such
>> advice

>> >.

>.

Performance advantages or disadvantages with no page/swapfile in MCE???

Post by Chris H » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:38:29

8-)  There is a little something called "education" which goes along with
the use of Windows XP.  It isn't such a reach for those who have used NT or
Windows 2000 previously, but those coming from a straight Win9x world really
do need to toss the concepts aside and learn all over.  There are some
similar things between XP and Win9x, but mostly cosmetic and in the "feel"
with a lot more under the hood in XP than Win9x ever thought of doing for
the user.  As for dumping the page file, I never have.  I just let the
system handle it.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP