Video E-Mail Is Here...or is it?

Post by Bernard Alsin » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

With the arrival of easy to use desktop web-cams, many unsuspecting
newcomers to desktop video are coming up against a problem when trying to
send video greetings as attachments in e-mails. The video files are just
too large. ISPs generally won`t deliver an e-mail that is more than around
5MB in size (this is bewildering enough), and poor old "Joe-Public" only
has time to record a video message of a few seconds in duration....what a
let-down! Suddenly video e-mail loses its zing. But there must be a way.
You search and search (joe public wasn`t told that he`d have to before
buying the camera), and you`re told that you either have to compress the
video file or convert it. Okay, if anybody can make it possible to send a
video attachment that goes beyond, "...Hi Mum, how are you doi..", please
help make this wonderful technology a joy for the general public to use.

I would like to know, in plain English how best to send video-files as e-
mail attachments. I am recording files in .avi format. The web-cam is
`Intel Create And Share` (their support are surprisingly disinterested in
the topic). My solution is probably best tackled in three parts. PLease
help me with a complete answer or point to one stage if you have the
knowledge:
1. The recording stage
2. Is compression the answer?
3. Is file conversion the answer?

I have already tried: WinZip, and WinRar and the compression is very
minimal.

Thanks in anticipation,
You`d be surprised how popular these web-cams are becoming, and how many
people will be grateful for your advice,
BERNARD.

Video E-Mail Is Here...or is it?

Post by Sue » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Bernard:
GetChillisoft's VideoMail. It should work with your camera and you won't
need to convert anything. You save your files to be played by Realplayer
5.0 or above. You can choose four levels of compression. The highest level
is a very small file size. The next level give a bigger size but still
okay for a few minutes video, and of course the video quality is better as
the compression goes down. You can download a free fif* day trial, then
you have to pay $14.95 for it. I think you'll like it.