SB16+Fugai E220-UA CD-ROM (the SB16-210 kit) - Installation help

SB16+Fugai E220-UA CD-ROM (the SB16-210 kit) - Installation help

Post by Dr. Al » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

G'day Warpers,

Desparately tryin to get the cd-rom working with Warp, and failing.
Any ideas welcome.

I have sort of got half way through the installation - but now am in
deep deep trouble. I downloaded a driver specified for this
particular CD drive (crccd2.add) and after selective installation
(OTHER option) placed the driver in D:\OS2\BOOT directory.

[crccd2.add is for the Fungai (sp?) E220-UA cd rom drives in the
SB16-210 package (or so it would seem).]

(I installed crccd2.add from a file called ccdos2.zip (hobbes) and
added the lines to config.sys.)

Everything seemed to be working fine, so I re-installed the Dos
drivers in my Dos partition, re-installed Windows and the SB16
drivers in Windows, then rebooted Warp.

Now I haven't installed Windows support for Warp, but while in Warp,
listening to a music CD, it started to skip.

So I don't know if the two are related, having installed the drivers

and the music CD started to skip it was not playing through Windows
(I didn't install Win support in Warp). After hitting stop, Warp
crashed.

I can no longer access my CD drive either under a Dos boot or and
OS/2 boot, even with a complete OS/2 re-installation. Could I have
damaged the drive?

I have also tried installing the upgrades of IBM1S506.ADD and the
other few files (from ATAPI.zip) but these haven't helped.

Is it this slave/master problem I keep seeing around here. I would
have thoiught that once working through DOS, I wouldn't have as much
trouble installing in OS/2 - looks like Warp is less forgiving!

Any and all advice welcome.

cheers, Alex.

BTW it's a 486DX2-66 with 8Mb, and the Soundblaster 210 Discovery Kit
is what I am attempting to install. The SB card works fine even now,
the CD drive on the other hand ...

Post by Barend N » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Everything seemed to be working fine, so I re-installed the Dos
> drivers in my Dos partition, re-installed Windows and the SB16
> drivers in Windows, then rebooted Warp.

OK

 > Now I haven't installed Windows support for Warp, but while in Warp,

> listening to a music CD, it started to skip.

> So I don't know if the two are related, having installed the drivers

> and the music CD started to skip it was not playing through Windows
> (I didn't install Win support in Warp). After hitting stop, Warp
> crashed.

> I can no longer access my CD drive either under a Dos boot or and
> OS/2 boot, even with a complete OS/2 re-installation. Could I have
> damaged the drive?

> I have also tried installing the upgrades of IBM1S506.ADD and the
> other few files (from ATAPI.zip) but these haven't helped.

Have you considered the possibility - which to me seems to be the
probability that your drive just happened to blow its last breath and that
the fact that you happened to be playing a music CD under WARP had nothing
to do with the fact.  Ie that it would have blown had you been playing it
under DOS of Windows.  My brother's CD did precisely the same thing -
started skipping when playing music CD's.  What operating system he was
using????......nothing!  It was a music CD player!  :-))

Bye
Barend Nel

SB16+Fugai E220-UA CD-ROM (the SB16-210 kit) - Installation help

Post by Dr. Al » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[... death of a cd-rom ...]

Quote:>Have you considered the possibility - which to me seems to be the
>probability that your drive just happened to blow its last breath and that
>the fact that you happened to be playing a music CD under WARP had nothing
>to do with the fact.  Ie that it would have blown had you been playing it
>under DOS of Windows.  My brother's CD did precisely the same thing -
>started skipping when playing music CD's.  What operating system he was
>using????......nothing!  It was a music CD player!  :-))

Yep, I had considered it, but thought that since I just that day had
installed Warp, that the installation was the most likely cause. Isn'y it
funny about coincidences[1].

Now I know differently! The drive is cactus, failing even the simple test
prog supplied with the drive.

I shall be returning the drive soon (it's only 3 months into it's 12 month
warranty, thank heavens).

Thanks for everyone's help.

cheers, Alex.

[1] You know what they say about one in a million chances ... they cropo up
nine times in ten!

1. Help: NEC-210 CD and SB16-SCSI2 (no parity)

I have an nec-210 cd rom drive which has no parity feature, however the default
state of my sb16-scsi2 is parity on, this works fine with dos/win3.1 as the dos
driver has a parity switch. However how do I switch parity checking off in NT3.5.

The event monitor repots lots of parity errors on sparrow.

Thanks

Phil Woodall

2. Can anyone locate the drivers for these tapedrives?

3. Installing NT CD on PC with SB16 and Panasonic 563 CD-ROM

4. Finding lost email - please help!

5. SB16 vs. SB16 Vibra

6. How to make Media Player load and _PLAY_ an avi from command line

7. Driver for NEC CDR-210 CD-ROM

8. NTDLR

9. Re : SB16 CD-ROM with Phone Blaster

10. sony 33a cd-rom and SB16 MCD