File Menu - Deleting Recent Files List

Post by Dave Capril » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 02:52:05

Doesn't the "clearmru.exe" file contained in the Bonus Pack
for Windows Media Player 7.1 take care of that?  I believe
it's available through the Microsoft website.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>How can I get rid of the list of recently played files
>from the file menu in Media Player 7.1?

>I've seen this problem posted elsewhere in this newsgroup,
>but the website given as a solution is a dead link, so
>please don't tell me:

>"http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#mru
>addresses this."

>because it doesn't.

>Aaron

>.

File Menu - Deleting Recent Files List

Post by zachd [ms » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 06:52:15

The page is hosted by the local Internet backbone, so it's not done now and
hasn't gone down in the past many years.  If you're having problems
accessing it, there may be some local connectivity problems you're facing.
Regardless, it dinnae matter.

I'll cut and paste for you.

In WM Player 9 Series, go to WMP's Tools:Options:Privacy menu option and
click "Clear History".  You can also turn off the MRU here.
For previous versions, see the article on this <a
href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243621>here</a

Quote:>.  Or you can click <a href=ClearWMP-MRU-list.reg>here</a> to clear the

History list or <a href=ClearWMP-MRU-radio-list.reg>here</a> to clear the
Radio History list.  Note that the <a href=#powertoys>PowerToys</a> also
include this functionality, as the above article says.  If you are on Win95
and this reg file doesn't work, you'll need to either use the PowerToys or
manually delete these registry keys:<br>
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentURLList]<br>
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList]<br>

Win2k+ or WinMe, it's coming from an additional user-specific system-wide
MRU list.  This is *not* specific to WMP.  You would need to delete the
following keys:
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDl
g32\OpenSaveMRU]<br>
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMR
U]<br>
to clear these settings.  However, that at least clears ALL MRUs on the
system if not more (my system is still running...), so do this at your own
risk.</font>
You may also want to go to WMP's Tools:Options and clear the "Add items to
Media Library when played" checkbox, if you're worried about other users on
that box seeing your files.  [Available on WMP8 and subsequent releases.]

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
--

Quote:> How can I get rid of the list of recently played files