found "Windows XP Media Center Edition" in BOOT.INI in XP Professional

found "Windows XP Media Center Edition" in BOOT.INI in XP Professional

Post by Sa » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:29:26

Hi all,
I have found the following in my BOOT.ini file
"Windows XP Media Center Edition"  which replaced the previous XP
Professional from the INI. It is creepy.  I have a DELL 8100, Lastest
XP Service pack, and bunch of other stuff such as .NET framework etc.

One more thing, seems like some applications are not able to detect
this OPERATING System as XP Professional. I tried to RUN "Media
Library Management Wizard" from the "Windows Media Bonus Pack for
Windows XP" and it gives error saying "THe media Library Management
Wizard works with Windows Media Player for Windows XP only" but my
machine is a Windows XP Professional Machine....

PLease help
Shyam

Hi All,

Quote:

> Whilst trying to find out why Windows Update continually
> loops while trying to update the Windows Update Controls,
> I noticed that my entry in boot.ini states:

> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP
> Media Center Edition" /fastdetect

> I have the volume license version of XP Pro, and on my
> laptop the text is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" in
> betwixt the quotations.

> I wonder if the issues I'm starting to experience could
> have something to do with this text changing.

> Thanks,
> Fred

found "Windows XP Media Center Edition" in BOOT.INI in XP Professional

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:37:48

The boot ini problem is a known issue. It occurs on some machines after SP1
is installed.  Don't know about the other issue.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server

Quote:> Hi all,
> I have found the following in my BOOT.ini file
> "Windows XP Media Center Edition"  which replaced the previous XP
> Professional from the INI. It is creepy.  I have a DELL 8100, Lastest
> XP Service pack, and bunch of other stuff such as .NET framework etc.

> One more thing, seems like some applications are not able to detect
> this OPERATING System as XP Professional. I tried to RUN "Media
> Library Management Wizard" from the "Windows Media Bonus Pack for
> Windows XP" and it gives error saying "THe media Library Management
> Wizard works with Windows Media Player for Windows XP only" but my
> machine is a Windows XP Professional Machine....

> PLease help
> Shyam

> Hi All,

> > Whilst trying to find out why Windows Update continually
> > loops while trying to update the Windows Update Controls,
> > I noticed that my entry in boot.ini states:

> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP
> > Media Center Edition" /fastdetect

> > I have the volume license version of XP Pro, and on my
> > laptop the text is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" in
> > betwixt the quotations.

> > I wonder if the issues I'm starting to experience could
> > have something to do with this text changing.

> > Thanks,
> > Fred

found "Windows XP Media Center Edition" in BOOT.INI in XP Professional

Post by Ed Rich [MSFT » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 01:16:42

THanks for the report. I will pass this issue on to the approprate MS group.

--
Ed Rich [MSFT]

Quote:> Hi all,
> I have found the following in my BOOT.ini file
> "Windows XP Media Center Edition"  which replaced the previous XP
> Professional from the INI. It is creepy.  I have a DELL 8100, Lastest
> XP Service pack, and bunch of other stuff such as .NET framework etc.

> One more thing, seems like some applications are not able to detect
> this OPERATING System as XP Professional. I tried to RUN "Media
> Library Management Wizard" from the "Windows Media Bonus Pack for
> Windows XP" and it gives error saying "THe media Library Management
> Wizard works with Windows Media Player for Windows XP only" but my
> machine is a Windows XP Professional Machine....

> PLease help
> Shyam

> Hi All,

> > Whilst trying to find out why Windows Update continually
> > loops while trying to update the Windows Update Controls,
> > I noticed that my entry in boot.ini states:

> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP
> > Media Center Edition" /fastdetect

> > I have the volume license version of XP Pro, and on my
> > laptop the text is "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" in
> > betwixt the quotations.

> > I wonder if the issues I'm starting to experience could
> > have something to do with this text changing.

> > Thanks,
> > Fred

1. Just noticed "media center" text in boot.ini on my Dell

It is possible.  I have noticed that a couple of people (very few) have
started to get the Media Center thing show up during startup after applying
SP1, not quite sure why though.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Microsoft Associate Expert

2. A Very Good Web Site!

3. "ActiveX" and "plug-ins" message

4. Transfer programs from 95 to XP

5. Problems in Netscape Plug-Ins "Cool Talk" and "Live 3D"

6. mpeg2 to wmv, wme 7 can't find loaded filter

7. xp-home edition no "back up" & no "access program"

8. WinSock SendTo Blocking

9. drivers in "xp Professional x64 edition"

10. converting from "windows 2000 server" to "windows 2000 professional"

11. Windows XP Patch: Windows XP Media Center Edition Fast User Switching Hotfix

12. Internet Communication Settings ".ins" File

13. downloaded ".ins" file failing to change PC for new ISP