QUICKTIME, running from CD-ROM on W2K

Post by Alexander Gra » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:23:34

Hello!

I use acroread for my presentations, which I burn on CD-ROM together
with acroread. But somtimes they contain animations as Quicktime
movies. Therefore, I wonder if it is possible to run Quicktime and its
plugin from CD-ROM too, in case it is not installed on the target
Windows box and I don't have the sufficient administrative rights to
install it.

Any suggestions?

Alex

Post by Rick » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:55:58

> Hello!

> I use acroread for my presentations, which I burn on CD-ROM together
> with acroread. But somtimes they contain animations as Quicktime
> movies. Therefore, I wonder if it is possible to run Quicktime and its
> plugin from CD-ROM too, in case it is not installed on the target
> Windows box and I don't have the sufficient administrative rights to
> install it.

> Any suggestions?

Yes.  Use MPEG-1 instead of MOV.  Anyone running Windows
can view your clips via WMP.  *Much* easier.

Rick

Post by Mike Richte » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:55:04

> Hello!

> I use acroread for my presentations, which I burn on CD-ROM together
> with acroread. But somtimes they contain animations as Quicktime
> movies. Therefore, I wonder if it is possible to run Quicktime and its
> plugin from CD-ROM too, in case it is not installed on the target
> Windows box and I don't have the sufficient administrative rights to
> install it.

Unfortunately, QT, WMP and most other media players need to be run from
the hard drive, not from the CD-ROM. WinAmp can be run from CD-ROM, but
recent versions nag for registration, which is a hassle.

I believe there are MPG players which can run from the disc - have your
checked out IRFANVIEW (sp?) - but I know of none for MOV or QT files.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

1. Can a Java Applet, run from a CD-ROM, access other files on the CD-ROM?

I have a Java Applet (360-panorama applet) accessing a JPG on the same
drive.  This web page worked fine on the Harddrive and over the internet,
but it doesn't work when run from the CD-ROM drive.  The applet reports that
it isn't able to see the file it's looking for.

Is there a security limitation which denies a Java Applet access to the
subdirectory if it exists on a CD-ROM drive?  Any ideas?  I'm stumped here
and I need help.

Thanks in advance,

            Tony Olsen

2. encode with windows media encoder 9 for windows media services 4.1?

3. How to do a w2k 'clean install' with the w2k-update cd-rom.

4. getting error

5. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

6. enhanced search

7. Trying to close a running app that's running off CD-ROM

8. CScrollView Does Not Work

9. cd-rom and cd writer function occasionally, running xp

10. XP and My cd-rom (Mitsumi CD-ROM FX4831T!A)

11. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore

12. I can read DVD with my DVD/CD-Rom, but not any CD-ROM

13. CD-Rom / CD-RW / DVD-Rom not reading data on CD's