multimedia programming for PC & Mac?

Post by GunDam Gibralt » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 23:48:57

        Hello world:

        In hopefully the next few months I am hoping to start work in creating a
multi-media CD-Rom for a professor here at my University. This project is
suppose to be able to run in windows and on macs via CD-Rom that it'll be
placed on. My question is this;

        "What programs are out there that allow for this media to be played from
the cd-rom on both systems stated above. I want to create the presentations
so that the program will have text,sound,graphics that are identical on
both machines....what program allows this? I heard the Apples Media toolkit
will do this? what programs are out there that are recommended."

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Thanks,

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Tony

Post by Dan Cr » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 23:24:36

>         Hello world:

>         In hopefully the next few months I am hoping to start work in creating a
> multi-media CD-Rom for a professor here at my University. This project is
> suppose to be able to run in windows and on macs via CD-Rom that it'll be
> placed on. My question is this;

>         "What programs are out there that allow for this media to be played from
> the cd-rom on both systems stated above. I want to create the presentations
> so that the program will have text,sound,graphics that are identical on
> both machines....what program allows this? I heard the Apples Media toolkit
> will do this? what programs are out there that are recommended."

Yes, the Apple Media Tool and Apple Media Kit (separate products, though
the Kit includes the Tool) will allow production of multimedia presentations
that run on Macs and Windows. Personally, I'd recommend this solution:
it gives you an almost completely transparent cross-platform production
facility and, if you are a programmer at least, full control over the
presentation produced.

the drawback is that you do need to be comfortable with object-oriented
programming if you are to get the most out of the system. The Apple Media
Tool allows you to put together simple push-and-click presentations
using a very straightforward interface, but if you want anything more
complex, especially in the way of interactions between the user and the
presentation, you will need to use the Apple Media Programming Environment
(part of the Apple Media Kit) which is a full-blown OO programming
language.

Competitors are MacroMedia's Director 4.0, the Windows version of which
is imminent and Authorware Pro.

Dan

multimedia programming for PC & Mac?

Post by Michel Gasc » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 13:54:16

Quote:>>>>>>Yes, the Apple Media Tool and Apple Media Kit (separate products,

though
the Kit includes the Tool) will allow production of multimedia
presentations
that run on Macs and Windows. Personally, I'd recommend this
solution:
it gives you an almost completely transparent cross-platform
production
facility and, if you are a programmer at least, full control over the
presentation produced.

Glad to know about the Apple Media TOols. DO they have is it double
cross-platform? PC to MAC, MAC TO PC.

WE use Authorware. It's more than a great package. Easy to start doing bad
programming but working program to slowly do better and better programming.

You can not believe what I have done with this program.

MacroMind is simply superb too, and very very Appreciated and used by Mac
Multimedia producers. You can do grandiose interactive information
deliverer tools (ok ok program...). Loto-Quebec has develop a whole serie
of games to be developped, evaluate, tested. Great graphics, great
animations, "fast" interaction (with fast computer).

ANy one of them will give you pleasure and troubles. Doing more that we can
do, this is what these toys are all about.

Have a geat timee!

--
Michel Gascon                         Multimedia Developer
Vancouver BC Canada

Post by Dave H36 » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 23:54:02

Quote:(Michel Gascon) writes:
>WE use Authorware. It's more than a great package. Easy to start
doing bad
>programming but working program to slowly do better and better

programming.

Quote:>You can not believe what I have done with this program.

I agree.  Authorware is fantastic!!  Pretty expensive but oh what it
can do.  If you don't need much more than a pretty presentation, it
might be too much.  I'd recommend taking a look at Astound.  Great
program for the price!

Dave

Post by Bruno Le » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 20:28:44

Quote:|> (Michel Gascon) writes:

|> >WE use Authorware. It's more than a great package. Easy to start
|> doing bad
|> >programming but working program to slowly do better and better
|> programming.
|>
|> >You can not believe what I have done with this program.
|>
|> I agree.  Authorware is fantastic!!  Pretty expensive but oh what it
|> can do.  If you don't need much more than a pretty presentation, it
|> might be too much.  I'd recommend taking a look at Astound.  Great
|> program for the price!
|>
|> Dave

Concerning Authorware I have the following questions (please don't flame if this
question is naive)

I am planning to develop a CD title which is very likely
to require a level of interactivity close to waht you would expect
in an interactive tutorial (multiple choice question, user response
recording and analysis).
This will also be a multimedia CD requiring the introduction of photo and sound
and (possibly ) video.
I am planning for both Mac and windows plateform.
My understanding is that Authorware is appropriate for programming the kind of
interactivity that I am looking for. Am I right or is macromedia director
sufficient for this purpose.

Thanks for answering both by email and on the news :-)

bruno

1. What programs create multimedia for both PC/Mac platforms....

I would like to create presentations/CD-Roms and other common forms of
multimedia that would work for both Mac and PC....  I already know of
Director and Flash... Are there any other recommendations that can be
made?  Thank you for your suggestions.  I have search in the
newsgroups and some of the posts that i have seen are from 1997, so I
am wondering if anything has come out recently.

Thanks
Jeff

2. Freecell

3. mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac

4. IPs/names on the subnet

5. #MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

6. secured sites

7. What are Xerox up to (was MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia)

8. actual folder name of HPC/Pocket PC's "Program Files" for different languages version

9. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

10. Animation Programs for the Pc (Win 3.1 & 95) and Mac...

11. How to convert Mac sounds (system 7) into PC & Mac compatible format ?

12. MAC 2 PC or PC 2 MAC HD