Creative Labs AWE32 or Creative Labs 16 PnP

Creative Labs AWE32 or Creative Labs 16 PnP

Post by Edmund Brigg » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Please help

Can someone please tell me the difference between these two sound cards
because I think the 'computer shop' may have mistakenly installed the
latter on my PC instead of the former. I opened the base unit recently but
there's no indication on what make is installed. I dont want to look a fool
if when and if I complain

Thanks

Post by swhh0.. » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Please help

> Can someone please tell me the difference between these two sound cards
> because I think the 'computer shop' may have mistakenly installed the
> latter on my PC instead of the former. I opened the base unit recently but
> there's no indication on what make is installed. I dont want to look a fool
> if when and if I complain

> Thanks
> I have just dunpmed a 16 card for a 32 quoting from Software Whharehouse
> catalogue the first difference is price 16 costs 68.00 pounds whilst the 32
> costs91.59

  Second the way the sound is made in the 16 it is FM sound that is it makes
the sound digitally whilst the 32 has a sound wave table it uses recorded
sounds of actual instruments and has the abillity for you to record your own
sounds to it. There are other differences that concern those that use the card
for hard disk recording.
Check up through your 95 system controll to find out which type of card you
have installed then go back and ask for a rebate or the correect card

--

Post by KeybdWiz » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Can someone please tell me the difference between these two sound cards
>because I think the 'computer shop' may have mistakenly installed the
>latter on my PC instead of the former. I opened the base unit recently
but
>there's no indication on what make is installed. I dont want to look a
fool
>if when and if I complain

The AWE32 is a wavetable soundcard that typically costs in excess of $200
US.  The Sound Blaster 16 is a non-wavetable (FM synth) soundcard that
typically costs less than $100 US.  I should think that the make/model of
the soundcard should appear on it somewhere.  Regardless of the card, I
should hope that your computer shop supplied you with a manual (and floppy
diskettes of the related software) for the specific card that is installed
in your machine.

If you're running Win95, go to MY COMPUTER/CONTROL PANEL/MULTIMEDIA and
then click the "MIDI" tab -- see what it says there - it might give you a
clue.

If MIDI files sound like the old "cheezy" Ninetendo video games, you
likely have the SB16.  Wavetable cards (like the AWE32) contain digital
samples of "real" musical instruments, providing much more
realistic-sounding playback of MIDI files.

-
Michael Walthius
THE MUSIC OF *SPACE
http://www.veryComputer.com/
-

Creative Labs AWE32 or Creative Labs 16 PnP

Post by Don Knierie » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

If you can't find the model from the board, or from Win95 control panel,
you could try reconfiguring one of your games or apps to use the driver
for the AWE.  I have a Soundblaster 16, and my games won't run if I
choose the AWE option from thier setup menus. So I assume yours wouldn't
run either, if you have a Soundblaster 16 and choose the AWE drivers.

> >Can someone please tell me the difference between these two sound cards
> >because I think the 'computer shop' may have mistakenly installed the
> >latter on my PC instead of the former. I opened the base unit recently
> but
> >there's no indication on what make is installed. I dont want to look a
> fool
> >if when and if I complain

> The AWE32 is a wavetable soundcard that typically costs in excess of $200
> US.  The Sound Blaster 16 is a non-wavetable (FM synth) soundcard that
> typically costs less than $100 US.  I should think that the make/model of
> the soundcard should appear on it somewhere.  Regardless of the card, I
> should hope that your computer shop supplied you with a manual (and floppy
> diskettes of the related software) for the specific card that is installed
> in your machine.

> If you're running Win95, go to MY COMPUTER/CONTROL PANEL/MULTIMEDIA and
> then click the "MIDI" tab -- see what it says there - it might give you a
> clue.

> If MIDI files sound like the old "cheezy" Ninetendo video games, you
> likely have the SB16.  Wavetable cards (like the AWE32) contain digital
> samples of "real" musical instruments, providing much more
> realistic-sounding playback of MIDI files.

> -
> Michael Walthius
> THE MUSIC OF *SPACE
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> -

1. Creative Labs Edutainment 16

I was looking to buy the Creative Labs Edutainment 16 upgrade.
It comes with some good software with which I am familiar, the
Creative Labs Doubls speed Cd-Rom, and the SB 16.  I was
wondering:

1) The Aldus Photostyler LE is included; what does the LE (or the
        SD if they are different lack from the original?

2) How good is the Creative Labs Cd-ROM drive?  I know the speed
        is adequite (300kb/s; 320-350ms) for me, but I wanted some
        opinions of users if I could.

3) From the last question, is it worth buying the SB with a SCSI-II
        Driver on it? I have seen these advertised, and was
        wondering if the SCSI-II is a true SCSI-II or just a single
        device driver. (can you daisy chain stuff to it). Which would
        Allow me to not have to buy a scsi in the future, and can one
        get a good SCSI CD ROm drive (double speed at least) for the
        SB SCSI-II and maybe some software for under $500. (the
        cost of the Edutainment upgrade)?

Thanks a lot.

---Chip Lynch

|  Chip Lynch                   |   "Life is like a sewer:         |
|                               |    What you get out of it             |

2. Can't find an english Office xp newsgroup

3. Creative Labs - Vibra 16

4. win 95 DOS problem- HELP!

5. Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 AWE-32 Compatible Problem!!!!!

6. Mute Warning or Action Sounds in XP

7. Help.Problem with soundcard Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 bit.

8. IE6 Will Not Save Settings

9. Creative Labs AWE32

10. New AWE32 drivers for NT 4.0 ONLY at Creative Labs site!

11. (Q) Installing New NT40 AWE32 Creative Labs Driver

12. Creative Labs Video Capture

13. Input from Creative Labs Video Blaster