MM Visionaries: What MAJOR improvements are needed for MM/Interactive Video

MM Visionaries: What MAJOR improvements are needed for MM/Interactive Video

Post by Paul Pazand » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 14:05:23

If you agree that the current state of the art of MM applications
is MUCH less than adequate, I would like your input.  I am working on
extensions to languages to support the next generation of multimedia
application development (including interactive video).  These
extensions are very complex & probably won't be fully implementable
until underlying software and hardware catch up...

I am looking for experienced users who have demands/needs that cannot
currently be met by existing applications so that I can extend my list
that demonstrates the needs for these extensions.

Thank you!

Paul

                                 Computer Applications and Research

                                 University of Minnesota

Post by BVol » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 07:13:04

Quote:(Paul Pazandak) writes:
>I am looking for experienced users who have demands/needs that cannot
>currently be met by existing applications so that I can extend my list
>that demonstrates the needs for these extensions.

Here's a short list.

1. Multiplatform authoring tools are for the most part useless when
dealing with systems that have different resolutions and color depths, for
example CD-ROM systems (3DO, CD-I, Mac, Windows, etc.) or Interactive
Television Settops.  We need production systems that allow a title
authored for an "ideal" environment to be "mapped" and "compiled" for a
specific platform.  The Kaliada/Script X approach of maintianing a common
file format and then mapping at runtime hurts the weaker platforms since
they also need the most re-mapping and have the least processor and memory
capacity.

2. Multimedia projects are getting huge.  An authoring system has to start
delaing with the complexity of managing a ton of digital data on a network
in a development company.  I know of one digital project that involved 1.5
Terrabytes of digital data.  Version control, librarian, backup, and
multi-location scripting should be supported.

I have more but I hope that helps.

William Volk
The Lightspan Partnership