"Find Album Info" getting wrong album info

"Find Album Info" getting wrong album info

Post by Greg Deuerlin » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:48:43

Hello,

I have a album that is a two CD set.  If I put the 1st CD
in the "Find Album Info" gets the correct album info.
When I put the 2nd CD in "Find Album Info" displays the
info for the first CD.  MusicMatch and WinAmp finds the
correct album info, why does WMP not ?

I asked this question about a week ago and zachd [ms]"

with:

Quote:> The ability to take care of these things are
> already accounted for in the player.
> Go to WMP's "Copy from CD" pane and use the
> "Get Names" or "Find Album Info" button.

I did that and I get the wrong album info.
Were you asking me to re-input all of the info for the
2nd CD ?  If so, why ?  The correct info is there, WMP is
just not grabbing the right disk info.

Zach, do you have a contact that I could email or call to
try to figure this out ?  I'd be glad to make a copy of
the CD set and mail it so MS could see for its self whats
going on.

Thanks...

Post by Mike William » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:26:56

> Hello,

> I have a album that is a two CD set.  If I put the 1st CD
> in the "Find Album Info" gets the correct album info.
> When I put the 2nd CD in "Find Album Info" displays the
> info for the first CD.  MusicMatch and WinAmp finds the
> correct album info, why does WMP not ?

> I asked this question about a week ago and zachd [ms]"

> with:

>> The ability to take care of these things are
>> already accounted for in the player.
>> Go to WMP's "Copy from CD" pane and use the
>> "Get Names" or "Find Album Info" button.

> I did that and I get the wrong album info.
> Were you asking me to re-input all of the info for the
> 2nd CD ?  If so, why ?  The correct info is there, WMP is
> just not grabbing the right disk info.

> Zach, do you have a contact that I could email or call to
> try to figure this out ?  I'd be glad to make a copy of
> the CD set and mail it so MS could see for its self whats
> going on.

> Thanks...

This album is not unique is this problem. The album-matching logic is not
very good still in the release version, and if you rely on the automatic
matching then it will frequenlty match to completely different albums that
have a different number of tracks. The correct album may also be in the
database but it may not be found through their search interface. I've posted
bugs on both problems before and after the final release.

"Find Album Info" getting wrong album info

Post by zachd [ms » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:22:39

Quote:> I have a album that is a two CD set.  If I put the 1st CD
> in the "Find Album Info" gets the correct album info.
> When I put the 2nd CD in "Find Album Info" displays the
> info for the first CD.  MusicMatch and WinAmp finds the
> correct album info, why does WMP not ?

Apples to oranges comparision.  There's multiple CD look-up databases out
there.  Having just one would be boring.

> I asked this question about a week ago and zachd [ms]"

> with:
> > The ability to take care of these things are
> > already accounted for in the player.
> > Go to WMP's "Copy from CD" pane and use the
> > "Get Names" or "Find Album Info" button.
> I did that and I get the wrong album info.
> Were you asking me to re-input all of the info for the
> 2nd CD ?  If so, why ?  The correct info is there, WMP is
> just not grabbing the right disk info.

If it's showing the wrong info, click "Search" or whatnot.  "Find Album
Info" is pretty simple to use.  I think you can figure out how to correct
the album info for your usage.  If not, technical support could likely walk
you through it.  :)

"Why?" --> ?  So that it gives you the right info?

Quote:> Zach, do you have a contact that I could email or call to
> try to figure this out ?  I'd be glad to make a copy of
> the CD set and mail it so MS could see for its self whats
> going on.

It's a peer supported newsgroup.  I try to be helpful but am *not* technical
support (although you can contact them if you want that angle).  But happily
enough, this is a really simple issue.  There's a minor error in the
database, and your use of "Find Album Info" will both correct it for you and
help alert the database that it may be off here.  There's ten kazillion
errors in all the CD lookup databases.  I use "Find Album Info" to help
correct this data over time (it takes a while to get validated, etc).  If
you want to keep the data the way it is, that's fine.  But if you want to
update the data to the right data, "Find Album Info" is your friend and what
you should be using.

-Z
See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.

Post by Greg Deuerlin » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:30:15

> [...]

Quote:>Info" is pretty simple to use.  I think you can figure
out how to correct
>the album info for your usage.  If not, technical

support could likely walk
Quote:>you through it.  :)

>"Why?" --> ?  So that it gives you the right info?

>> Zach, do you have a contact that I could email or call
>> try to figure this out ?  I'd be glad to make a copy of
>> the CD set and mail it so MS could see for its self
whats
>> going on.

>It's a peer supported newsgroup.  I try to be helpful

but am *not* technical
Quote:>support (although you can contact them if you want that

angle).  But happily
Quote:>enough, this is a really simple issue.  There's a minor
error in the
>database, and your use of "Find Album Info" will both

correct it for you and
Quote:>help alert the database that it may be off here.

There's ten kazillion
Quote:>errors in all the CD lookup databases.  I use "Find
Album Info" to help
>correct this data over time (it takes a while to get

validated, etc).  If
Quote:>you want to keep the data the way it is, that's fine.
But if you want to
>update the data to the right data, "Find Album Info" is

your friend and what

Quote:>you should be using.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really
appreciate it !!!

WMP is the only player out of 6 tested that gets these
CD's wrong.  While it may not totally be WMP fault, maybe
MS is using the wrong lookup service.  It would be nice
is WMP could be configured to use a different lookup.

The "Find Album Info" is a neat feature, but I have about
10 CD's that WMP displays wrong and I'm not going to re-
enter all of the CD data for these CD's.  And, this only
fixes the problem on the PC that I re-entered the correct
data.  If I take these CD's to work I would have to fix
it there also.  Sorry, but I'll just use MusicMatch to
listen/rip my CD's.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. "Find Album Info" feature not available

Hello,

I have Windows 2000 Pro and have upgraded from MP7.1 to 8 and then 9.  When
I play my MP3 files, and select "Find Albumo Info" on the "Now Playing"
window, it starts doing something, and then reports "Feature not available".
I have seen other installations, and it works perfect.  Any ideas?  Should I
do a "clean install" of MP9?

Thanks
--
Javier Porfirio de Len Luna
Guatemala

2. Newsgroup Messages Not Appearing

3. Difficult "Find Album Info" Attempts ...

4. eForms for Mail require VB ?

5. Media Player "Find Album Info" Screen Blank

6. Two or more users using computer simultaneously

7. "find album info" problem

8. WinXP

9. "Find album info" leads to black screen

10. "Find album info" working!..... "Update Album info" not

11. Find Album Info - deleting info for a single CD

12. Replacing "Unknown album" with album name

13. Amending wrongly identified albums and locking album info