M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

Post by Jonathan Klima » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:10:43

I installed Media 9 and two showstoppers occured that caused me to
remove it.  When I play m3u playlists the playlist displayed is the name
of the m3u file and not the individual tracks.  When the tracks are
playing the title of each track is the name of the play list (I know,
others have mentioned this, but it is major).  Please, nobody suggest
useing MS play lists.  I use a network (perl+php based) mp3 jukebox so
m3u is it.

The 2nd problem is worse and why I uninstalled it.  I turned off all
media library options and anything else that would have media player
doing anything in the background (auto update etc.) or in any way
checked on track names or modified files.  Even so with the player on
and no music playing it was generating 300 Kb/s in and out of my pc.  If
I went into a menu on MP9 it would stop, and leaving the menu it would
start again.  Shutting down the player and starting it again produced
the same results (and this is starting in a blank screen, not the ms
media home page).  I did an active port list (in and out) and the only
thing reported is that mp9 was listening for something but it had no
listed active connections.  I connect to many different servers so it
may have been scanning network drives even though everything that would
do that was shut off, but it is hard to tell.  I don't know what it was
doing but I certainly don't want it doing it.

-
Jonathan Kliman

WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

replace xxx with edu for direct mails

M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

Post by Dave Roth [MS » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:45:05

Is your "My Documents" on a remote share? I am wondering if the player is
indeed monitoring your media files there.

--
Dave Roth [MS]
Program Manager

> I installed Media 9 and two showstoppers occured that caused me to
> remove it.  When I play m3u playlists the playlist displayed is the name
> of the m3u file and not the individual tracks.  When the tracks are
> playing the title of each track is the name of the play list (I know,
> others have mentioned this, but it is major).  Please, nobody suggest
> useing MS play lists.  I use a network (perl+php based) mp3 jukebox so
> m3u is it.

> The 2nd problem is worse and why I uninstalled it.  I turned off all
> media library options and anything else that would have media player
> doing anything in the background (auto update etc.) or in any way
> checked on track names or modified files.  Even so with the player on
> and no music playing it was generating 300 Kb/s in and out of my pc.  If
> I went into a menu on MP9 it would stop, and leaving the menu it would
> start again.  Shutting down the player and starting it again produced
> the same results (and this is starting in a blank screen, not the ms
> media home page).  I did an active port list (in and out) and the only
> thing reported is that mp9 was listening for something but it had no
> listed active connections.  I connect to many different servers so it
> may have been scanning network drives even though everything that would
> do that was shut off, but it is hard to tell.  I don't know what it was
> doing but I certainly don't want it doing it.

> --
> -
> Jonathan Kliman

> WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

> replace xxx with edu for direct mails

M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

Post by Jonathan Klima » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:14:10

Yes, the "My Documents" folder is indeed redirected to a
network share on a Win2K server in my domain.  Is there a way
to stop monitoring of this folder?

> Is your "My Documents" on a remote share? I am wondering if
the player
> is indeed monitoring your media files there.

> --
> Dave Roth [MS]
> Program Manager
> Digital Media Division
>=============
confers no

-------

----------
Jonathan Kliman

WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

replace xxx with edu for direct mails

M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

Post by Dave Roth [MS » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 13:46:59

Tools->Options->Media Library then hit the "Monitor Folder" button.

--
Dave Roth [MS]
Program Manager
> [...]

> different
> >> servers so it may have been scanning network drives even
> though
> >> everything that would do that was shut off, but it is hard
> to tell.
> >> I don't know what it was doing but I certainly don't want it
> doing
> >> it.

> >> --

> -------
> >> -- -
> >> Jonathan Kliman

> >> WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

> >> replace xxx with edu for direct mails

> --
> ----------
> Jonathan Kliman

> WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

> replace xxx with edu for direct mails

M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

Post by Jonathan Klima » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 05:05:08

Thanks!  Is there are any hope for the other problem listed in more
detail below.  That is all that is stopping my upgrade.  And as my
incentive to get this solved, until I am willing to upgrade none of
my several thousand clients here get upgraded.

I use a network MP3/WMA server called Netjuke (although from what I
have read this not unique to this application but many other m3u
based systems).  When you select the tracks you want it downloads
the list to you as an M3U playlist (like mp3.com).  Under MP7 and
MP8 this comes in as a complete list of tracks and as each title
downloads the title shows up and normal artist/album/title
information appears.  Under MP9 the playlist shows as a single
unexpandable entry in the playlist.  As each track downloads the
artist and album show properly (not in the playlist of course) but
the track name is the name of M3U playlist itself.  Any known fixes
for this?

-----
Jonathan Kliman

WEB     : http://jitterbug.oit.umass.edu/jkliman

Please replace all xxx with edu to email me.

1. images won't display on some sites and xhtml doesn't display properly

A few months ago, I finally broke down and got one of the
popup blockers. It may have been a coincident, but shortly
thereafter images started disappearing from websites. More
and more images every day....going, going, gone. One day,
no images, no where on the entire net. When I use
Netscape, everything was fine. Thinking it was the popup
blocker, I uninstalled it. No difference.

Because I seemed to be having other pc problems, I did a
quick restore. I then had to update IE to 6. Well, most
images were back, and this is the situation i'm still in.
One of the sites where the images were not showing was
mine. I got help from a webdesign forum and it was the
meta tag (meta name="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1" ) on my pages that was the problem. I
took that off my pages and the images came back. So now
every page I come across that the images don't show, I
check the source and they all have that code. I don't
understand why this happened all of a sudden.

Well after visiting my webdesign forum again today, I
discovered that sites that are XHTML do not show properly
either....no images, no color. Again, all this is only in
IE my Netscape shows everything fine. They seem to think
that something is wrong in some setting somewhere that is
causing a problem with IE and the way it is interpretting
code.

I prefer IE and hate having to open Netscape each time I
run across a site that I can't view images on.

Any ideas? I run Windows 98, IE6.

Thank you,
Michelle

2. icons

3. disable 'high speed usb device non-high speed hub' message?

4. Command Prompt

5. Newb Question. Lotus Won't Display Correctly

6. How to get NS 4.08 Messenger to remember password?

7. IE6.0 won't display http privacy links correctly

8. Scheduling xcopy?

9. Except at 100% view MPEG's Won't Play Correctly

10. Application Window won't display and app won't terminate

11. Very slow 'one way' file transfer in Win 2000 - Win XP TCP/IP Network

12. PPPOE 'sometimes' doesn't work correctly... please read for details.

13. win 3.11 and win 95 in 'small network' ?