Advice Needed--Capturing Digital Video

Post by Chris Spiro » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Having freshly purchased a SONY Dgital Handicam, and a Pentium Pro
180Mhz video editing workstation--I now need to decide on a video
capture board.  I've waited until those with digital capture
capabilities were available.  I was told that they would be at the
beginning of this year.  Are They?  Any suggestions?  Thanks a bunch.

Advice Needed--Capturing Digital Video

Post by outta ct » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:03:32 -0800, Chris Spiros

>Having freshly purchased a SONY Dgital Handicam, and a Pentium Pro
>180Mhz video editing workstation--I now need to decide on a video
>capture board.  I've waited until those with digital capture
>capabilities were available.  I was told that they would be at the
>beginning of this year.  Are They?  Any suggestions?  Thanks a bunch.

Check this site out:
http://www.miro.com/e/e1-news/e12-pressreleases/index.html

Jim R.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jrob

Post by Alex Leaven » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Having freshly purchased a SONY Dgital Handicam, and a Pentium Pro
> 180Mhz video editing workstation--I now need to decide on a video
> capture board.  I've waited until those with digital capture
> capabilities were available.  I was told that they would be at the
> beginning of this year.  Are They?  Any suggestions?  Thanks a bunch.

I've had very good luck with the Miro digital video boards.  They
give very good results, especially when combined with the new
Intel Video Interactive codec.

--
--alex

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes
your time, and annoys the pig."  --Samuel Clemens

1. Digital Video Advice Needed

Hello,

Being relatively new to digital video (but not new to the Mac) I need some
advice. Here's the situation:

I've got a client who needs a five minute digital video presentation. He
would prefer that it run off the computer straight thru to an NEC
Multisync MT Multimedia Theatre (a projector - 24 bit, 640x480, 350
lumens...). I'm sure it can be done - with the right money thrown at it
(VVS or Targa 2000 and a large disk array, etc.). Timing is a big concern
though. This job will have a quick turnaround (several weeks). The NAB
show is next week and I really don't know what products will be announced
or will be shown. The PCI PowerMacs come out this summer, so I don't want
to invest a ton of money into digital video gear based on Nubus.

The presentation will be created on a PowerMac 8100/100 using Premiere and
the usual plethora of graphic tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, etc.).
Ideally it will be 640x480, 24bit, 30fps. The big question is - what is
the minimun hardware purchase I can make to do this job? I'm not so much
concerned with getting video in and out of the computer at the moment -
the presentation is a combination of still photography (with dissolves and
transitions), typography (animated), and music. Compression and disk
throughput are my major concerns. I'm getting conflicting information from
various hardware vendors. What is the best Quicktime codec for running
digital video created on the computer? Are the RO/Truevision Targa 2000 or
Radius VideoVision Studio my only options as far as hardware video
compression is concerned? I've seen the Media 100 demo and thought it
looked great, but its not in the budget at the moment.

I might end up dumping the presentation down to video anyway - as a
backup. But if its possible to do all this straight from disk it would be
nice.

If anyone can give me any help in this matter it would be greatly
appreciated.

Kevin Kemmerly

2. Browsing Problem with NT network

3. Advice needed on video capture, dubbing, & sub-titling.

4. Critical error

5. How can I capture Video from a Digital Video camcorder through an IEEE 1394 bus

6. Dig Cam will not install

7. Can MM2 capture analog video from Dazzle Digital Video Creator

8. home networking

9. digital video camera/card advice

10. Explanations needed: video capture and video overlay

11. Video Capture Advice

12. Video Capture Cards, ADVICE PLEASE

13. Video capture advice