XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by J » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:29:05

ABS tech support said this:
"There is a code needed to load into the BIOS so that it
wont do the activation.  If you can provide us with your
customer or invoice
number to see what,  we can send you the program to load
back the code.  It should fix the problem."

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
>last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
>the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
>I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
>activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

>So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
>was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
>saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
>message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
>endless cycle.

>So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the
only
>solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
>that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
>and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

>Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do
and
>issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer
is
>suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
>Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
>fee.

>That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me
even
>angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
>couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
>that a similar thing has happened to other people.

>I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
>computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
>and hours of television that I've added and organized --
>because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
>free" activation process after a year of practice.

>And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown
away
>by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
>talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
>testimonial about how great it is.

>Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
>solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there
respond?
>I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
>confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
>advance for any help.
>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:33:43

Thanks for your support and for the suggestion.

If I don't get a good resolution -- and if Microsoft
continues to just shrug at at my problem -- then I AM
going to give the story to the media.  (You're right that
it would make a great angle for a story.)

I had been thinking about Michael Miller at 'PC magazine'
and David Pogue at the 'NY Times'.  I'll add 'News.com' to
the list.

At the moment, I'm still going back-and-forth with ABS and
getting different stories from different techs.  I've got
another call pending.  We'll see . . .

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Chris,

>Tell your story to NEWS.COM - they are always looking for
this kind of
>headline:

>"New Microsoft Operating System requires anti-piracy hack"

>Yeah, I am joking, but a shout out to news.com may make
Microsoft try to
>speed up with the solution to this idiotic problem.

>:LB

>> If I get that kind of run-around, I'm going to e-mail
the
>> story to every computer industry journalist I can think
>> of.  If that really is the best that Microsoft and the
>> OEMs can do for their customers, then people who are
>> considering buying a Media Center PC should be made
aware.

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by D. Anderso » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:55:28

This is an interesting thread to me.  Someone pointed out that different
OEMs 'configure' the operating system differently.  My Gateway Media PC
never prompted me to activate it.  Apparently Gateway takes care of this for
you at the factory.

One more reason that I am very happy with my Gateway system.

David Anderson

Quote:> After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
> last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
> the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
> I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
> activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

> So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
> was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
> saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
> message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
> endless cycle.

> So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the only
> solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
> that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
> and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

> Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do and
> issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer is
> suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
> Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
> fee.

> That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me even
> angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
> couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
> that a similar thing has happened to other people.

> I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
> computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
> and hours of television that I've added and organized --
> because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
> free" activation process after a year of practice.

> And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown away
> by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
> talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
> testimonial about how great it is.

> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
> solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there respond?
> I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
> confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
> advance for any help.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:11:13

In my most recent conversation with ABS, the tech told me
that the computer SHOULD have been pre-activated (like
yours).  But the reality is that I got a nag message every
day, counting down how much time was left before I'd need
to activate.  I can't explain it . . .

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This is an interesting thread to me.  Someone pointed out
that different
>OEMs 'configure' the operating system differently.  My
Gateway Media PC
>never prompted me to activate it.  Apparently Gateway

takes care of this for
>you at the factory.

>One more reason that I am very happy with my Gateway
system.

>David Anderson

>> After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
>> last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message
saying
>> the system was activated.  But the after a re-start
today
>> I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
>> activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

>> So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
>> was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
>> saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
>> message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
>> endless cycle.

>> So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the
only
>> solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
>> that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
>> and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

>> Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do
and
>> issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer
is
>> suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
>> Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
>> fee.

>> That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me
even
>> angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
>> couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
>> that a similar thing has happened to other people.

>> I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
>> computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
>> and hours of television that I've added and organized --
>> because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
>> free" activation process after a year of practice.

>> And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown
away
>> by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
>> talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
>> testimonial about how great it is.

>> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
>> solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there
respond?
>> I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to
be
>> confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
>> advance for any help.

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Ed Rich [MSFT » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:51:43

Folks,

We are actively working on resolving the problems you are having with
activation. I am sorry that you have encountered this issue. I assure you
that we are working to resolve this issue a quickly as possible with the OEM
and the folks affected. Please stay in touch with your OEM on this issue so
that as soon as possible it can be resolved and you can enjoy your Media
Center PC

--
Ed Rich [MSFT]

Quote:> Thanks for your support and for the suggestion.

> If I don't get a good resolution -- and if Microsoft
> continues to just shrug at at my problem -- then I AM
> going to give the story to the media.  (You're right that
> it would make a great angle for a story.)

> I had been thinking about Michael Miller at 'PC magazine'
> and David Pogue at the 'NY Times'.  I'll add 'News.com' to
> the list.

> At the moment, I'm still going back-and-forth with ABS and
> getting different stories from different techs.  I've got
> another call pending.  We'll see . . .

Post by Chri » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:09:32

Thanks for your message.  It is nice to get an
acknowledgement from Microsoft.

But the techs I've talked to at ABS say that I'm the first
person who's ever called with this problem, that they've
never heard fo it before, etc.  Your message clearly
indicates that this is a "known" problem -- yet it isn't
known by the people who can actually solve it.  There
seems to be a communication problem.

I did a factory restore last night.  Media Center is back
and working.  But I'm getting a message saying that I have
30 days to activate.  This despite ABS saying that
everything should be factory pre-activated.  I can ignore
the message, but what's going to happen in 30 days?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Folks,

>We are actively working on resolving the problems you are
having with
>activation. I am sorry that you have encountered this
issue. I assure you
>that we are working to resolve this issue a quickly as

possible with the OEM
Quote:>and the folks affected. Please stay in touch with your

OEM on this issue so
>that as soon as possible it can be resolved and you can
enjoy your Media
>Center PC

>--
>Ed Rich [MSFT]
confers no rights.

>> Thanks for your support and for the suggestion.

>> If I don't get a good resolution -- and if Microsoft
>> continues to just shrug at at my problem -- then I AM
>> going to give the story to the media.  (You're right
that
>> it would make a great angle for a story.)

>> I had been thinking about Michael Miller at 'PC
magazine'
>> and David Pogue at the 'NY Times'.  I'll add 'News.com'
>> the list.

>> At the moment, I'm still going back-and-forth with ABS
and
>> getting different stories from different techs.  I've
got
>> another call pending.  We'll see . . .

Post by Ed Rich [MSFT » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 04:50:38

Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. The activion issue should be resolved before the 30
day window expires. I have noted your concern about the disconnect with the
ABS support staff. Thanks for your patience.

--
Ed Rich [MSFT]

> Thanks for your message.  It is nice to get an
> acknowledgement from Microsoft.

> But the techs I've talked to at ABS say that I'm the first
> person who's ever called with this problem, that they've
> never heard fo it before, etc.  Your message clearly
> indicates that this is a "known" problem -- yet it isn't
> known by the people who can actually solve it.  There
> seems to be a communication problem.

> I did a factory restore last night.  Media Center is back
> and working.  But I'm getting a message saying that I have
> 30 days to activate.  This despite ABS saying that
> everything should be factory pre-activated.  I can ignore
> the message, but what's going to happen in 30 days?

Post by chri » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 10:17:26

Thanks for the reply -- I do appreciate it.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Chris,

>Thanks for the feedback. The activion issue should be

resolved before the 30
>day window expires. I have noted your concern about the
disconnect with the
>ABS support staff. Thanks for your patience.

>--
>Ed Rich [MSFT]
confers no rights.

>> Thanks for your message.  It is nice to get an
>> acknowledgement from Microsoft.

>> But the techs I've talked to at ABS say that I'm the
first
>> person who's ever called with this problem, that they've
>> never heard fo it before, etc.  Your message clearly
>> indicates that this is a "known" problem -- yet it isn't
>> known by the people who can actually solve it.  There
>> seems to be a communication problem.

>> I did a factory restore last night.  Media Center is
back
>> and working.  But I'm getting a message saying that I
have
>> 30 days to activate.  This despite ABS saying that
>> everything should be factory pre-activated.  I can
ignore
>> the message, but what's going to happen in 30 days?

and
>> confers no rights.

message

>> that

>> magazine'
add 'News.com'

ABS
>> and
>> got

Post by Chad Hundle » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:56:30

Chris,
Don't reformat your system! It won't do any good.  I
recieved my system back from Alienware last night after
having to ship it off for the same problem.  I had
reinstalled my system several times, trying to bypass the
glitch and always ended up in the same situation.  The
BIOS has a component called DMI or Desktop Management
Interface (It is mainly used by corporations for keeping
inventory of their hardware).  The DMI area on OEM systems
is supposed to have a string identifying it as an OEM
machine.  Your machine like mine was is missing that
string and XP will not activate no matter how many times
you reinstall the OS.