XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:36:46

After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
endless cycle.

So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the only
solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do and
issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer is
suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
fee.

That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me even
angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
that a similar thing has happened to other people.

I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
and hours of television that I've added and organized --
because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
free" activation process after a year of practice.

And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown away
by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
testimonial about how great it is.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there respond?
I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
advance for any help.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Patrick Col » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:32:41

Dude, I totally feel your pain. This activation shit is dumb. I know M$
loses lots of money through pirating software and this activation *was
supposed to stop it. However, it hasnt stopped it all. Check out a newsgroup
once in a while. Theres tons of Win XP and even media Center PC images to
download. The only people that suffer from activation is us the consumers
who buy the software. Hell, theres even a coporate copy of WinXP that DOESNT
have to be activated. Did it stop the pirate? No! Did it hurt the consumer
with activation? Yes!

So to go on a rant on your thread but its shit like this that pisses me off.
Paying customers like you and like myself shouldnt have to deal with
bullshit like that especially when we pay $1600+ for a damn system to get
locked out of.

Im off my soapbox now.

Quote:

> After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
> last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
> the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
> I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
> activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

> So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
> was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
> saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
> message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
> endless cycle.

> So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the only
> solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
> that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
> and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

> Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do and
> issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer is
> suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
> Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
> fee.

> That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me even
> angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
> couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
> that a similar thing has happened to other people.

> I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
> computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
> and hours of television that I've added and organized --
> because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
> free" activation process after a year of practice.

> And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown away
> by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
> talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
> testimonial about how great it is.

> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
> solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there respond?
> I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
> confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
> advance for any help.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by MVP - Windows Med » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:31:09

I understand your pain - the idea of activation is OK in my mind, but
the implementation is sometimes totally broken, as can be seen by the
above problem :(

I would be equally angry if told I had to completely reformat the
machine and lose all the hours I'd put into setting it up and
recording shows.

I do think the activation has removed *casual* piracy though.  Whereas
most of my mates would lend each other copies of the latest version of
Windows to install on each other's machines, this has almost stopped
completely, especially since the "SP1 won't install with Devilsown
key" fix.  Most of my mates have gone and bought their own copies of
XP.

They definitely haven't touched the * pirate market though.
The 12 year old kids on IRC have more time than money and are willing
to put in the effort required to run
activation-free/activation-cracked software and to reformat on a
regular basis.

Quote:> Chaz <

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:32:41 -0500, "Patrick Cole"

>Dude, I totally feel your pain. This activation shit is dumb. I know M$
>loses lots of money through pirating software and this activation *was
>supposed to stop it. However, it hasnt stopped it all. Check out a newsgroup
>once in a while. Theres tons of Win XP and even media Center PC images to
>download. The only people that suffer from activation is us the consumers
>who buy the software. Hell, theres even a coporate copy of WinXP that DOESNT
>have to be activated. Did it stop the pirate? No! Did it hurt the consumer
>with activation? Yes!

>So to go on a rant on your thread but its shit like this that pisses me off.
>Paying customers like you and like myself shouldnt have to deal with
>bullshit like that especially when we pay $1600+ for a damn system to get
>locked out of.

>Im off my soapbox now.

>> After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
>> last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
>> the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
>> I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
>> activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

>> So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
>> was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
>> saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
>> message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
>> endless cycle.

>> So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the only
>> solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
>> that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
>> and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

>> Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do and
>> issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer is
>> suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
>> Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
>> fee.

>> That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me even
>> angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
>> couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
>> that a similar thing has happened to other people.

>> I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
>> computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
>> and hours of television that I've added and organized --
>> because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
>> free" activation process after a year of practice.

>> And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown away
>> by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
>> talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
>> testimonial about how great it is.

>> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
>> solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there respond?
>> I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
>> confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
>> advance for any help.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by WaltS [MVP WMC » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:57:25

"Chris"  -

I know it might be difficult - but take a deep breath...

Putting all the "chaff" associated with activation aside, let's wait for
others with knowledge of this problem to respond...

--

 - - Online since CompuServe's MicroNET - Running an HPMC 873n ^  ---
 - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition       - -

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by dschant » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:15:35

I'm a *power owner and have had the activation
problem in spades. With the OEM's help, I was able to get
my machine running (after three weeks of it being a brick
on the floor). However, I now have about 21 days left
before having to activate windows (strange because I
thought I successfully activated it when I refornated and
reinstalled MCE). Hopefully something will be fixed
before I have to activate and re-enter the
activation "loop"

Anyway, I spoke to a Microsoft Activation support person
and the told me that development knows of this problem
(at least with *power and Alienware - I think) and
that he would get back to me by the end of the week with
status. He explained that the problem has something to do
with the way the OEM builds the OS (apparently the OEM
can customize the OS to some degree).

The *power tech support guys were very helpful in
getting my machine restarted.

I appreciate that this is a new OS and will run its
course of bugs. The MCE interface is great so its more
than frustrating when you pay for something and can't
have it because of an activation issue.

Quote:>>once in a while. Theres tons of Win XP and even media
Center PC images to
>>download. The only people that suffer from activation
is us the consumers
>>who buy the software. Hell, theres even a coporate copy

of WinXP that DOESNT
Quote:>>have to be activated. Did it stop the pirate? No! Did

it hurt the consumer
Quote:>>with activation? Yes!

>>So to go on a rant on your thread but its shit like

this that pisses me off.

>>Paying customers like you and like myself shouldnt have
to deal with
>>bullshit like that especially when we pay $1600+ for a
damn system to get
>>locked out of.

>>Im off my soapbox now.

message

>>> After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
>>> last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message
saying
>>> the system was activated.  But the after a re-start
today
>>> I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
>>> activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

>>> So I activated again, ang got another message saying
it
>>> was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
>>> saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get
>>> message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
>>> endless cycle.

>>> So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the
only
>>> solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
>>> that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at
Microsoft --
>>> and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

>>> Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to
do and
>>> issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional
computer is
>>> suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
>>> Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay
them a
>>> fee.

>>> That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me
even
>>> angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from
>>> couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power
sytsms)
>>> that a similar thing has happened to other people.

>>> I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
>>> computer -- and have to erase all the music and
pictures
>>> and hours of television that I've added and
organized --
>>> because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
>>> free" activation process after a year of practice.

>>> And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown
away
>>> by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
>>> talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
>>> testimonial about how great it is.

>>> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
>>> solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there
respond?
>>> I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want
to be
>>> confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
>>> advance for any help.

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by WaltS [MVP WMC » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:38:42

"dschantz" -

Thank you for providing us with what had happened to you - good luck going
forward - and if you have a moment, let us know of the final resolution...

--

 - - Online since CompuServe's MicroNET - Running an HPMC 873n ^  ---
 - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition       - -
 ---                Associate Expert - Expert Zone                ---
 - -        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/        ---
 - - 52 Ken          http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         Sun 57 - -

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Barry Lacte » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:49:12

Why are they saying a complete reinstall will solve the problem?  Won't you
eventually have to activate?

[...]

Post by Victo » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:41:16

Same thing happened to me with the HP box.  I called the
activation people, they told me to reformat and
reinstall.  That didn't work.  I then called Microsoft,
and they told me to call the OEM (HP).  I called HP, and
they told me that Microsoft was responsible for the
activation peice of the software and that they had no
control over it and I had to speak with microsoft.  So, I
just have a new computer sans MCE.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>After 18 days with my ABS Media Center PC, I activated
>last night.  Went without a hitch -- got a message saying
>the system was activated.  But the after a re-start today
>I got a front-and-center message saying I needed to
>activate.  Hmm.  Okay.

>So I activated again, ang got another message saying it
>was all fine.  Go to log in again -- and get a message
>saying I need to activate.  I try to activate and get a
>message saying Windows is already activated.  It's an
>endless cycle.

>So I call ABS.  And the guy tells me, "Sorry, but the
only
>solution is to re-format your hard drive."  I tell him
>that's insane.  I ask to talk to someone at Microsoft --
>and he tells me I'll have to pay for the call!

>Because Microsoft can't do what they're supposed to do
and
>issue me a proper code, my pefectly functional computer
is
>suddenly a brick.  And apparently there's no human at
>Microsoft who'll talk to me about it unless I pay them a
>fee.

>That doesn't give me a warm feeling.  And it makes me
even
>angrier when I come on here and see (in a thread from a
>couple weeks ago about Alienware and *power sytsms)
>that a similar thing has happened to other people.

>I am in utter disbelief that I'm locked out of my
>computer -- and have to erase all the music and pictures
>and hours of television that I've added and organized --
>because Microsoft can't properly manage their "hassle-
>free" activation process after a year of practice.

>And the real pity of all this is that I've been blown
away
>by Media Center -- I've absolutely loved it.  If you'd
>talked ot me yesterday, I'd have given you a page-long
>testimonial about how great it is.

>Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there another
>solution?  How do the Microsoft people out there
respond?
>I'm usually a Microsoft supporter, and I don't want to be
>confrontational, but this is a nightmare.  Thanks in
>advance for any help.
>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:45:51

Good point.  Another reason why I'm reluctant to reformat
is that I'm not convinced it's going to solve the problem.

For one thing, I thought activation was tied to the
underlying hardware configuration.  If this loop is being
caused by the nothing but the software, then it should be
happening to everyone.  Since it's not, it must be tied to
my unique code/configuration being fouled up.  In which
case, why will re-formatting help?

Maybe I'm completely missing the point and don't
understand activation at all.  Another question is: Why
should I need a degree in activation theory in order to
access the computer that I paid $2,000 for?

Post by Chri » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:00:40

Thanks for your message, although I can't say that it
makes me feel better.  That's infuriating.

If I get that kind of run-around, I'm going to e-mail the
story to every computer industry journalist I can think
of.  If that really is the best that Microsoft and the
OEMs can do for their customers, then people who are
considering buying a Media Center PC should be made aware.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Same thing happened to me with the HP box.  I called the
>activation people, they told me to reformat and
>reinstall.  That didn't work.  I then called Microsoft,
>and they told me to call the OEM (HP).  I called HP, and
>they told me that Microsoft was responsible for the
>activation peice of the software and that they had no
>control over it and I had to speak with microsoft.  So, I
>just have a new computer sans MCE.

Post by Tim » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:38:50

Yes, please keep us updated. I am expecting my ABS Media
Center any day now, and this makes me very nervous.

Blue(.) ---
> - - Online since CompuServe's MicroNET - Running an HPMC
873n ^  ---
> - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Edition       - -
> ---                Associate Expert - Expert

Zone                ---
Quote:> - -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/        ---
Quote:> - - 52 Ken

http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         Sun 57 - -

Quote:

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:34:41

Thanks for your message earlier.  I am trying to be
reasonable.  But this is very different from Microsoft
struggling to work out technical difficulties (how to make
video capture work smoothly, for instance).  Microsoft
CREATED this problem for me -- their "protection" scheme
has locked me out of the computer that I paid for.

So far I haven't heard from anyone who has, as you
say, 'knowledge of the problem.'  (Although I do
appreciate the expressions of sympathy.)  That includes
silence from Microsoft representatives.  I believe they do
visit this board, yes?

Blue(.) ---
> - - Online since CompuServe's MicroNET - Running an HPMC
873n ^  ---
> - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Edition       - -
> ---                Associate Expert - Expert

Zone                ---
Quote:> - -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/        ---
Quote:> - - 52 Ken

http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         Sun 57 - -

Quote:

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Ranci » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:55:44

I am gonna make a bad suggestion. Look for the activation hack. Start the OS
in safe mode, and run the hack, restart and it goes away.

It is a damn shame you have to hack a legit OS to get it to work right.

It is called reset.exe and it is verified working for your problem, but I
won't say how or where to get it.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Chri » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:13:30

Thanks for the suggestion.  You're right -- the situation
is completely ridiculous.  If I actually do that and it
works, it will mean that illegal hackers provide better
Windows support than Microsoft.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am gonna make a bad suggestion. Look for the activation
hack. Start the OS
>in safe mode, and run the hack, restart and it goes away.

>It is a damn shame you have to hack a legit OS to get it
to work right.

>It is called reset.exe and it is verified working for
your problem, but I
>won't say how or where to get it.

>.

XP Activation Glitch -- Reformat Hard Drive!

Post by Leo B » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:25:23

Chris,

Tell your story to NEWS.COM - they are always looking for this kind of
headline:

"New Microsoft Operating System requires anti-piracy hack"

Yeah, I am joking, but a shout out to news.com may make Microsoft try to
speed up with the solution to this idiotic problem.

:LB

Quote:> If I get that kind of run-around, I'm going to e-mail the
> story to every computer industry journalist I can think
> of.  If that really is the best that Microsoft and the
> OEMs can do for their customers, then people who are
> considering buying a Media Center PC should be made aware.

1. How's does activation work after reformatting my Hard Drive?

It looks like I have a virus, either that or I've been
running Windows too long and it has ruined my system.
Well at any rate it is clear that I need to re-format my
Hard Drive and re-install Windows XP.  I only have one
concer, activation.  Will Microsoft allow me to re-
activate Windows without giving me too much grief?  Also
how do I go about re-activating the operating system, not
to mention Office XP.  Just post your reply, thank you.

2. What do quotation marks mean?

3. Activation on new hard drive and activation screen blank

4. IFSMGR / MaxFileFragments

5. Reinstalling XP upgrade after Hard Drive Reformat

6. Plug-in Text Menus

7. Help..How to Reformat Hard Drive with XP

8. printer

9. Reinstalling XP after reformatting hard drive

10. REFORMATTING HARD DRIVE USING XP

11. needing to reformat hard drive running xp professional

12. Reinstall XP after hard drive reformat

13. reformat hard drive after XP install