streaming a wmv file?

streaming a wmv file?

Post by cb » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:47:40



Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one can (for the average
user) capture it to their hard drive?
 
 
 

streaming a wmv file?

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:55:51


Yes.  .WMV files are structually the same as .ASF files.  The naming
convention is used to help distinguish between files that are audio-only vs.
files that have video.  Additionally, the convention for what can be in a
.WMV (or a .WMA for that matter) is very specific in order to ensure that
anyone that wants to write a player or tool to read/write those files will
know exactly what to expect.

-Mike


Quote:> Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one can (for the average
> user) capture it to their hard drive?


 
 
 

streaming a wmv file?

Post by Marcos Acke » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:18:00


Didn't understand. What must be done?

In realitty I'm interested in something similar: the ideal
would be to stream the video keeping the actual .WMV
unavailable to the user, but somehow stored in his local
disk so it can be played again withou downloading again.

Marcos

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Yes.  .WMV files are structually the same as .ASF files.  
The naming
>convention is used to help distinguish between files that
are audio-only vs.
>files that have video.  Additionally, the convention for
what can be in a
>..WMV (or a .WMA for that matter) is very specific in

order to ensure that
>anyone that wants to write a player or tool to read/write
those files will
>know exactly what to expect.

>-Mike



>> Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one

can (for the average
Quote:>> user) capture it to their hard drive?

>.

 
 
 

streaming a wmv file?

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:14:38


I don't have a caching solution for you, sorry.

But as for what you need to do to stream the content -- it's nothing
different than you'd do to stream an ASF file.  If you're streaming from a
Windows server running Windows Media Services, put the file in your ASFROOT
directory or other directory you may have created for your content.  If
you're hosting the file on a web server, just put it where you want.  In
either case, publish the appropriate URL to the .WMV file, or create an ASX
file that points to the right URL.

Key point is that it's just the same as if the file was named .ASF.

Hope that helps.
-Mike


> Didn't understand. What must be done?

> In realitty I'm interested in something similar: the ideal
> would be to stream the video keeping the actual .WMV
> unavailable to the user, but somehow stored in his local
> disk so it can be played again withou downloading again.

> Marcos

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Yes.  .WMV files are structually the same as .ASF files.
> The naming
> >convention is used to help distinguish between files that
> are audio-only vs.
> >files that have video.  Additionally, the convention for
> what can be in a
> >..WMV (or a .WMA for that matter) is very specific in
> order to ensure that
> >anyone that wants to write a player or tool to read/write
> those files will
> >know exactly what to expect.

> >-Mike



> >> Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one
> can (for the average
> >> user) capture it to their hard drive?

> >.

 
 
 

streaming a wmv file?

Post by Marcos Acke » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:09:19


Thanks for the help.

But when we use WMPlayer 7.1 it saves a copy of the
streamed video in a temp folder and this does not happen
when using WMP 6.4.

Is there a way to force the 6.4 to behave like the 7.1?
And vice versa?

Thanks in advance,

Marcos

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I don't have a caching solution for you, sorry.

>But as for what you need to do to stream the content --
it's nothing
>different than you'd do to stream an ASF file.  If you're
streaming from a
>Windows server running Windows Media Services, put the

file in your ASFROOT
Quote:>directory or other directory you may have created for
your content.  If
>you're hosting the file on a web server, just put it
where you want.  In
>either case, publish the appropriate URL to the .WMV

file, or create an ASX
>file that points to the right URL.

>Key point is that it's just the same as if the file was
named .ASF.

>Hope that helps.
>-Mike



>> Didn't understand. What must be done?

>> In realitty I'm interested in something similar: the
ideal
>> would be to stream the video keeping the actual .WMV
>> unavailable to the user, but somehow stored in his local
>> disk so it can be played again withou downloading again.

>> Marcos

>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Yes.  .WMV files are structually the same as .ASF
files.
>> The naming
>> >convention is used to help distinguish between files
that
>> are audio-only vs.
>> >files that have video.  Additionally, the convention
for
>> what can be in a
>> >..WMV (or a .WMA for that matter) is very specific in
>> order to ensure that
>> >anyone that wants to write a player or tool to
read/write
>> those files will
>> >know exactly what to expect.

>> >-Mike



>> >> Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one
>> can (for the average
>> >> user) capture it to their hard drive?

>> >.

>.

 
 
 

streaming a wmv file?

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:26:16


The file probably came from a web server, not a media server.  The player's
behavior is to try to cache the file so that you can have better seeking
performance since a web server doesn't support that.


> Thanks for the help.

> But when we use WMPlayer 7.1 it saves a copy of the
> streamed video in a temp folder and this does not happen
> when using WMP 6.4.

> Is there a way to force the 6.4 to behave like the 7.1?
> And vice versa?

> Thanks in advance,

> Marcos

> >-----Original Message-----
> >I don't have a caching solution for you, sorry.

> >But as for what you need to do to stream the content --
> it's nothing
> >different than you'd do to stream an ASF file.  If you're
> streaming from a
> >Windows server running Windows Media Services, put the
> file in your ASFROOT
> >directory or other directory you may have created for
> your content.  If
> >you're hosting the file on a web server, just put it
> where you want.  In
> >either case, publish the appropriate URL to the .WMV
> file, or create an ASX
> >file that points to the right URL.

> >Key point is that it's just the same as if the file was
> named .ASF.

> >Hope that helps.
> >-Mike



> >> Didn't understand. What must be done?

> >> In realitty I'm interested in something similar: the
> ideal
> >> would be to stream the video keeping the actual .WMV
> >> unavailable to the user, but somehow stored in his local
> >> disk so it can be played again withou downloading again.

> >> Marcos

> >> >-----Original Message-----
> >> >Yes.  .WMV files are structually the same as .ASF
> files.
> >> The naming
> >> >convention is used to help distinguish between files
> that
> >> are audio-only vs.
> >> >files that have video.  Additionally, the convention
> for
> >> what can be in a
> >> >..WMV (or a .WMA for that matter) is very specific in
> >> order to ensure that
> >> >anyone that wants to write a player or tool to
> read/write
> >> those files will
> >> >know exactly what to expect.

> >> >-Mike



> >> >> Can you stream a wmv file like an asf file so no one
> >> can (for the average
> >> >> user) capture it to their hard drive?

> >> >.

> >.

 
 
 

1. How do I decompress wmv stream not from file or network, but from my own stream?

We have our own WinSock software that gets WMV stream from the network in
real-time.
How to use Format SDK to decompress the stream and get uncompressed
samples(in real-time, not writng to a file)?

I tried to use IWMReaderAdvanced2 interface. According to Media SDK it
should work with IStream which represents media content.
But it doesn't. After IWMReaderAdvanced2::OpenStream succeeds, you should be
able to call IWMReader::Start and other methods,
but all of them fail with E_UNEXPECTED.
I know my stream is valid WMV stream, because when I write it to a file,
Media Player plays this file with no problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Maxim

2. Check out this new BBS....

3. Sorry - Another test

4. Is there any software can convert DVD files to wmv,asf...etc stream files

5. New System Sounds Wanted

6. How to know if the stream is an Audio (wma) or Video (wmv) stream ?

7. Message body not displayed

8. Join wmv files or translate wmv files to avi?

9. can't "open" to stream wmv files

10. WMP 8 not streaming WMV files

11. 2GB Limit on WMV Streaming Files ?

12. How can I use IIS to stream a .WMV file?