Issues with MMS (TCP) and MMS (UDP)

Post by Reese M. Ranki » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:50:12

In most of the live media streams I attempt to view with Windows Media
player, it tells me that I am viewing the streams with the MMS (TCP)
protocol. However, I have tested the same streams on other computers
(directly hooked up to the cable modem line) and they are using MMS (UDP) by
default. Obviously, because of the construction of the TCP protocol, for
most streaming video using MMS (UDP) is much faster. I am running Windows XP
Pro, and directly hooked up to my cable line. Another test a friend and I
preformed was both unchecking TCP in the network settings in WMP. While my
friend could connect to the media fine, I could not even connect to it at
all without TCP checked.

I do not understand why I would be unable to receive UDP packets, however I
am looking for any explanation that could possibly be given!

I do not have any windows firewalling enabled; nor do I run a software
firewall. I am using the default buffering settings, and have the DSL 768
kbps setting selected in WMP.

Thanks!
Reese

Issues with MMS (TCP) and MMS (UDP)

Post by HongJia[M » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:43:17

MMS(UDP) do gets priority over MMS(TCP) when WMP 9 makes connection to
server for streaming. When WMP connects to server, it will send several UDP
packets first to determine what the link bandwidth is. Based on the how
quickly client receives server's response packet, WMP calculates the link
bandwidth. If WMP doesn't receive any response from server, which may be
because response packet lost, or blocked by firewall, etc, WMP will
rollover to MMS(TCP) to make connection again.

In your scenario described, it's mostly because of the UDP packet lost that
WMP9 rollover from UDP to TCP. WMP9 chooses TCP connection because you may
experience bad UDP streaming under your current connection.

If you really want streaming UDP, you can go to
tools->option->network->Performance, select the connection speed you
have(i.e. 768k) instead of detecting connection speed. Then WMP will bypass
the bandwidth detection at the begining and will make UDP connection
anyway.

Hope this help.
Thanks
-Hong

1. MMS(TCP) protocol exclusive, MMS(UDP never used?

Sorry for the repost. I do not make a habit out of it, however this problem
has been resulting in very slow streaming media for quite a long time. In
[...]

2. VFW SDK

3. looking for FAQ contributors on MM SERVICE PROVIDERS -MM Consultants

4. Communicator 4.0b2

5. looking for FAQ contributors on MM-programming tools - MM-

6. Setup help -- WFWG + NetWare + Frame Relay

7. MM Visionaries: What MAJOR improvements are needed for MM/Interactive Video

8. Lucas Arts/Female market segment/Randy Komisar?

9. Do you people that keep posting questions about MM that there is a dedicated MM newsgroup?

10. ? Difference between UDP, HTTP, MMS ?

11. Using MM for teaching UNIX, TCP/IP, etc.?

12. New MM Machine - issue closed

13. TCP/UDP port#'s for NetBios on TCP/IP??