Codecs available for use with Format SDK

Codecs available for use with Format SDK

Post by gavinm.. » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone had success using codecs other than Windows Media Audio V2,
ACELP, and Microsoft MPEG-4v3 with the WM Format SDK?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Codecs available for use with Format SDK

Post by Nick Vicars-Harri » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

These are the codecs that we support, why would you want to use others?

> Has anyone had success using codecs other than Windows Media Audio V2,
> ACELP, and Microsoft MPEG-4v3 with the WM Format SDK?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Codecs available for use with Format SDK

Post by Marc Lut » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hmmm, why would anyone want to use others? Well, I can think of a few
reasons offhand.

1. You have developed a better sounding or lower bandwidth codec that you
want to use with the excellent Windows Media platform.

2. You have a new and interesting use for the Windows Media platform.
However, to make it work you need to use a specialized or custom-designed
codec.

3. You have a snazzy content creation tool that produces just the content
you want. However, the output is not, and cannot be, based on one of the
built-in codecs. To play this content, or serve it using Windows Media
Services,  you need to use the codec the application uses.

4. You don't like the Real or QuickTime platforms, and really like the
Windows Media platform, especially on a Windows 2000 server. It is a great
format, with servers that are rock solid, and a feature list that is
nice...but your hands are being tied by the refusal to add support for other
codecs.

We all know that the Media Player couldn't care less what codec it is fed.
We all know it isn't a technical issue. So what is going on? You have a
better product than your competitors, but they are allowing developers to
use their technology as a platform to build compelling applications and
content. Microsoft is always a little late to the party, but makes up lost
ground by letting the gigantic 'MS platform' developer community leverage MS
technology with their own enhancements, building killer, standard setting,
applications.

This refusal to allow developers to use their own codecs is like telling web
designers that they can only use GIF or jpeg for images in any site or
application that uses Internet Explorer.

The annoying 'codec thing' is going to jump up and bite you in the ... Need
I go on? Content creators can live with these sorts of limitation, but
ultimately they are only USERS of the technology. It is the developers that
are being forced to move to other platforms to implement their ideas, which
certainly does not benefit Microsoft.

Can you guys finally DO SOMETHING about this?

Marc

> These are the codecs that we support, why would you want to use others?

> > Has anyone had success using codecs other than Windows Media Audio V2,
> > ACELP, and Microsoft MPEG-4v3 with the WM Format SDK?

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. Using Format SDK Codecs by myself

Hi all,

    I've got another question now, that regards using the codecs themselves
bypassing the Format SDK API.

    I can see there's an ASF format specification available. I'd like to
know if it's possible to use the Format SDK codecs directly without using
the API.

    This is somewhat an important issue. I'd really like to have control of
what goes on, and Format SDK cares for a lot of things that messes my
performance (several threads, extensive memory allocation, concurrence
problems, timing, etc...)

Thanks for any information,

Dario

2. toggle select of wxListCtrl items

3. WM9 Format SDK: Codec format enumeration

4. homepage help

5. Can I used other formats with Format SDK?

6. RDC via XP tablet edition & XP Pro

7. Format SDK 8 codecs and RealPlayers

8. Old Version Problem

9. Final Release of Windows Media Format SDK 7 available now!!

10. Using custom codecs with SDK

11. Using custom codecs and SDK

12. Codec 4.02 being used in .avi file; where is it available for wmplayer 7.01?

13. Capture play state in plugin using Format SDK.