WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by Exoce » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:08:36

Hi,
Don't know the reason why,
I start my computer & 1 or 2 hours later, WMP self opens ...
Nothing in the start group ... nothing in msconfig ...

Any solution ?

Thanks

WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:08:12

When it starts up, is it playing anything?

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Exoce » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:27:17

When it starts up, is it playing anything?

===> Yeah, a WMV file is launched ....

Quote:> Hi,
> Don't know the reason why,
> I start my computer & 1 or 2 hours later, WMP self opens ...
> Nothing in the start group ... nothing in msconfig ...

> Any solution ?

> Thanks

WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:03:14

Is it always the same file?  Is the file something you recognize?  Is the
file local or off the net?  Does it happen when you're on-line, off-line, or
either?

> When it starts up, is it playing anything?

> ===> Yeah, a WMV file is launched ....

> > Hi,
> > Don't know the reason why,
> > I start my computer & 1 or 2 hours later, WMP self opens ...
> > Nothing in the start group ... nothing in msconfig ...

> > Any solution ?

> > Thanks

WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by Exoce » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:45:50

Is it always the same file?  ==> Yes
Is the file something you recognize? ==> Yes
Is the file local or off the net?  ==> Local
Does it happen when you're on-line, off-line, or either? ==> Either ...

Any idea ? Thanks

Quote:

> When it starts up, is it playing anything?

> ===> Yeah, a WMV file is launched ....
> > Hi,
> > Don't know the reason why,
> > I start my computer & 1 or 2 hours later, WMP self opens ...
> > Nothing in the start group ... nothing in msconfig ...

> > Any solution ?

> > Thanks

WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:30:31

Hmm, you've got me stumped.  The obvious ideas are that you've got a virus
(but this doesn't ring any bells with me), that you've got some kind of task
scheduled to recur and start this (don't know what would have done that
to/for you though), or that some action you're taking is causing this to
happen as a side-effect but you're not realizing it.

Sorry; wish I could be more help.
-Mike

Quote:

Post by Exoce » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:12:14

Sorry; wish I could be more help.
-Mike

Never mind ...
Thanks again for trying to help me ...

Greetings from France.

Exocet

WMP self opens after 1 or 2 hours ...

Post by zachd [ms » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:33:02

Well, when WMP starts with that file, you should be able to obtain
Properties on that file under WMP's File:Properties menu.  That may point to
where at least that file is on your system, so you can rename or move that
file - or search for what's referencing it.

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.
--

Quote:

> Is it always the same file?  ==> Yes
> Is the file something you recognize? ==> Yes
> Is the file local or off the net?  ==> Local
> Does it happen when you're on-line, off-line, or either? ==> Either ...

> Any idea ? Thanks

> > When it starts up, is it playing anything?

> > ===> Yeah, a WMV file is launched ....
> > > Hi,
> > > Don't know the reason why,
> > > I start my computer & 1 or 2 hours later, WMP self opens ...
> > > Nothing in the start group ... nothing in msconfig ...

> > > Any solution ?

> > > Thanks

1. How do I trigger my app every hour on the hour?

I have an application ( or should I say will, because it's not written yet) that
will send a signal to a com port, read a value in, write to a file then
terminate.
I have already written 32bit serial interface routines, so that is not a
problem, what I am interested to know is what is the best way to perform this
operation.

Ideally the application will be triggered by the system (i.e. a 'service' ) and
will execute if a user is logged in or out, and of course only administrator
will be able to stop/start the service.

I have seen something similar with 'norton program scheduler' for virus
scanning, but I think this is only for win95, and besides it runs 'minimised'.

The only other option (I think?) is to leave the machine logged in with the
application running 24hours, this is not really an option due to security
issues.

O/S is windows NT workstation 3.51 ( 4.x is not an option ).

Any pointers to an example or two would be great!

take care y'all, Simon

!----------------------------------------------------------------!

| Eynsham, ENGLAND                                               |
|=======For the worlds best selling super-con MRI magnets.=======|
|-------If you want something done, give it to a busy man.-------|
|       SGI/Sun/Intel-Irix5.3/Sunos4.1.3/Solaris2.4/NT3.51       |
|      MSVC/f77/g++/NAG/java/unix-shell (in that order :P )      |
?----------------------------------------------------------------?

2. Logon Scripts - How?

3. Earn 50 cents per hour to surf the web 40 hour max = 20 dollars

4. How to change default encoding?

5. Can't open any page after half an hour

6. Tar and tape under NT4.0

7. Self opening windows

8. sound cracking and looks like echo with sound blaster PCI64

9. System folder self opening

10. "can't open self" message

11. Help : w98 freezes when WMP 7.1 is opened

12. Not able to open WMP with Icon on desktop

13. WMP 7.1 will not open