Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by ikah » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:30:56

Well, I just found these two unambigous statements on the MS website
for WMP for OSX:

"With full support for the latest Windows Media technologies, Windows
Media Player delivers CD-quality audio at half the file size of MP3
and the sharpest video available."

"Windows Media Player supports that [sic] latest versions of the
Windows Media codecs, which means you will experience the best quality
audio and video."

I am in relatively dire need to have that actually be the truth.
However, as far as I can tell, these statements are not entirely true,
in that it does not support Codec 9, which all the major finacial
houses seem to have adopted.

Is anyone aware of when WMP for OSX will actually have "full support
for the latest Windows Media technologies?" I greatly appreciate any
help anyone might have....

As an aside, I find this so frustrating. I *want* to like WMP. I
*want* to like MS. I *truly* believe they can and do produce solid
software much of the time. But a codec is a codec is a codec and there
is *no* legitimate reason not to update players for all platforms when
a new one is released. It is these little things (in the aggregate)
that go so far to undermine their reputation. Well, I hope this gets
resolved somewhat quickly....

best,
/ijk

Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by Charles Tomara » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:19:39

Quote:> Well, I just found these two unambigous statements on the MS website
> for WMP for OSX:

> "With full support for the latest Windows Media technologies, Windows
> Media Player delivers CD-quality audio at half the file size of MP3
> and the sharpest video available."

> "Windows Media Player supports that [sic] latest versions of the
> Windows Media codecs, which means you will experience the best quality
> audio and video."

> I am in relatively dire need to have that actually be the truth.
> However, as far as I can tell, these statements are not entirely true,
> in that it does not support Codec 9, which all the major finacial
> houses seem to have adopted.

> Is anyone aware of when WMP for OSX will actually have "full support
> for the latest Windows Media technologies?" I greatly appreciate any
> help anyone might have....

> As an aside, I find this so frustrating. I *want* to like WMP. I
> *want* to like MS. I *truly* believe they can and do produce solid
> software much of the time. But a codec is a codec is a codec and there
> is *no* legitimate reason not to update players for all platforms when
> a new one is released. It is these little things (in the aggregate)
> that go so far to undermine their reputation. Well, I hope this gets
> resolved somewhat quickly....

The best speculation that I can come up with is that MS is just gonna stop
supporting the Mac. Their total silence on the WM9 issue coupled with the
end of Internet Explorer for Mac and 3rd part moves like Adobe's
announcement that they are not making a Mac version of Premier Pro would
lead one to believe that times are changing when it comes to cooperation
between Apple, Microsoft and third party developers. I'm betting that
Microsoft is offering to license the WM9 codecs to Apple and it will be up
to them to decide if they want to include them in Quicktime. Personally I
wouldn't expect Apple to take them up on the offer right away. It will be
also very interesting to see what comes of iMusic for Windows later this
year.

Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by Charles Tomara » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:14:29

Finally some sort of news about WMP9 and Mac

http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=18834&Group=1

             WMA 9 Voice Support in Mac OS X

            Time: 00:00 EST/05:00 GMT | News Source: ActiveWin.com | Posted
By: Jonathan Tigner
            In the WMTALK e-mail listserv, Kevin Unangst, a Microsoft
employee, stated the following: "We are definitely planning to support WMA 9
Voice in the upcoming release of Windows Media Player 9 Series for Mac OS X.
We showed the new player running with Apple's Safari browser at their WWWDC
a few weeks back. We're shooting for fall release to web right now and we'll
keep the list posted. Thanks for your patience"

            In addition to the Windows Media 9 Series Voice codec, it
appears that Windows Media Player 9 Series for Mac OS X will support all of
the 9 Series codecs.

            Microsoft is also working on a version of the Windows Media 9
Series Voice codec for Windows Media Player 6.4.

begin 666 slant.gif
M1TE&.#EA$P`2`( !`#-FF?___R'Y! $```$`+ `````3`!(```(FC(]I`.K'

`
end

begin 666 blank.gif
J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
`
end

Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:03:47

        Hi Charles,

Quote:> Finally some sort of news about WMP9 and Mac

> http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=18834&Group=1

It is already relayed on MacRumors. It would have been nice to have some
sort of Official announcement on MacTopia instead of having to gather
the news on ActiveWin, but it's still better than nothing.

        Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp
http://www.microsoft.com/FRANCE/Support/home/Newsgroup.Asp

Post by Mickey Steven » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:05:00

>       Hi Charles,

>> Finally some sort of news about WMP9 and Mac

>> http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=18834&Group=1

> It is already relayed on MacRumors. It would have been nice to have some
> sort of Official announcement on MacTopia instead of having to gather
> the news on ActiveWin, but it's still better than nothing.

I agree.  You can find the original posting/discussion here:
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?J14326A35>
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?D15345A35>

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by MSFT » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 07:14:58

Thanks for pointing out the errors on our website; I'll have the web pages
updated.

We're working on Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X as I write this.

As to your other comments - it's not trivial to move the codecs over to the
OS X platform.  In addition, we're expanding the browser support with the 9
Series Player for Mac OS X to include Safari - we showed MP9 at Apple's WWDC
in June running with Safari. Our hope is to ship MP9 for OS X in the fall.
We'll keep the newsgroup posted!

Thanks
KevinU (MSFT)

Post by Patrick Mill » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:46:16

> As an aside, I find this so frustrating. I *want* to like WMP. I *want* to
> like MS. I *truly* believe they can and do produce solid software much of
> the time. But a codec is a codec is a codec and there is *no* legitimate
> reason not to update players for all platforms when a new one is released.
> It is these little things (in the aggregate) that go so far to undermine
> their reputation. Well, I hope this gets resolved somewhat quickly....

As Kevin pointed out in the previous reply, I don't think updating the
player itself is the issue, here.  The issue is that Microsoft (quite
naturally) writes the codecs themselves for the Wintel platform first.
Porting those codecs to the PowerPC instruction set is, I suspect, very
non-trivial (also as Kevin said).

PLM

Codec 9 support for WMP for OSX????

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:02:12

        Hi Kevin,

Quote:> Thanks for pointing out the errors on our website; I'll have the web pages
> updated.

> We're working on Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X as I write this.

> As to your other comments - it's not trivial to move the codecs over to the
> OS X platform.  In addition, we're expanding the browser support with the 9
> Series Player for Mac OS X to include Safari - we showed MP9 at Apple's WWDC
> in June running with Safari. Our hope is to ship MP9 for OS X in the fall.
> We'll keep the newsgroup posted!

> Thanks
> KevinU (MSFT)

   Thanks a million for letting us know Kevin. It's very nice to know
what's going on. I understand that porting codecs might not be trivial.
I can't wait until the Fall :-)))

        Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp
http://www.microsoft.com/FRANCE/Support/home/Newsgroup.Asp

1. WMP for OSX and codec 9???

Any idea when codec 9 will be supported with this. While it
claims "Windows Media Player supports that latest versions
of the Windows Media codecs," this is clearly wrong. I am
in rather dire need to be able to play codec 9 on my macs.

Any assistence would be greatly appreciated.

/ijk

2. Add/Remove Programs erro

3. Q: Does the standard WMP MP3 Codec also support ripping ?

4. Posts to Newsgroups

5. WMP 9 beta support for the acelp.net audio codec

6. Taking Ownership of Files

7. Pocket WMP support TrueSpeech CODEC?

8. problem with the administration of IIS4.0

9. What codecs do WMP support???

10. WMP codec support

11. Codec Not supported by WMP