Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Nix Neo » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:38:55

So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by David Denmar » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:46:53

> So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> doing brain surgery.

Hello,

Please try downloading the following and attempting this again.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Note: you will be required to reboot.

--
David Denmark, MS-MVP (Media Center)
newsgroups at daviddenmark dot com

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:07:10

Go to windowsupdate and get the patch for WMP9 so you can do this.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server

Quote:> So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Nix Neo » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:32:00

still get the same error!

> [...]

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Chris H » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:38:26

Do you have all the background programs closed, anti-virus not running,
etc.?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> still get the same error!

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Rick Kingslan [MVP-NT/2000 » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:42:47

David, James -

Good call!  Updated my WMP9 on my WinXP SP1 (nope, not an MCE box - that's
the other computer by the 4 servers in the corner....) and it's confirmed -
this update should provide the ability to play the DVR.MS media.  Just
watched the episode of '24' from the other night - across the network.....

Now, THAT'S cool!  =)  But, then - I'm a techno-geek, too....
--
Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory

> Go to windowsupdate and get the patch for WMP9 so you can do this.

> --
> James Edelen
> Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
> Microsoft Associate Expert

> > So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> > other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> > none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> > file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> > Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> > I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> > products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> > doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Andrew Clark [MVP » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:15:32

Hi,

Please ensure that you have a software DVD player such as
Nvidia NVDVD installed on your system.  This is required
to play dvr.ms files on a non-mce machine as the format is
MPG2.

If you don't have a software player capable of playing
DVD's you most likely don't have an MPG2 codec installed,
which will stop you from being able to playback the files.

It's your choice as to what player you install.

Andrew Clark
MVP - Windows Media Center

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
>other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
>none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
>file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
>Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
>I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
>products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
>doing brain surgery.
>.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by RD » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:56:28

Just saw this and have some more basic questions.
Can you play them on non xp machines running WMP9?
What directory are the recorded TV files stored?

Quote:> So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Carl Sannit » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:50:52

Andrew,

Just tried everything you said and I got one of my MCE recorded programs to
play on a non-MCE computer! That was very cool!

(This is gonna be great because I'm the computer teacher at an elementary
school, so this will allow me to record educational programs for the
teachers, use the network to move the files to each individual machine, then
use the machine to play the files! Pretty cool!)

One thing: Is there any other program I can use beside NVDVD? Has anyone
gotten any freeware to work? If so, please let us know!

Thanks,
Carl Sannito

Quote:> Hi,

> Please ensure that you have a software DVD player such as
> Nvidia NVDVD installed on your system.  This is required
> to play dvr.ms files on a non-mce machine as the format is
> MPG2.

> If you don't have a software player capable of playing
> DVD's you most likely don't have an MPG2 codec installed,
> which will stop you from being able to playback the files.

> It's your choice as to what player you install.

> Andrew Clark
> MVP - Windows Media Center

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:57:27

:)

Welcome to the newsgroup Rick!

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Microsoft Associate Expert

> David, James -

> Good call!  Updated my WMP9 on my WinXP SP1 (nope, not an MCE box - that's
> the other computer by the 4 servers in the corner....) and it's
confirmed -
> this update should provide the ability to play the DVR.MS media.  Just
> watched the episode of '24' from the other night - across the network.....

> Now, THAT'S cool!  =)  But, then - I'm a techno-geek, too....
> --
> Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
> Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
> Associate Expert

> > Go to windowsupdate and get the patch for WMP9 so you can do this.

> > --
> > James Edelen
> > Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
> > Microsoft Associate Expert
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> > > other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> > > none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> > > file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> > > Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> > > I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> > > products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> > > doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Andrew Clark [MVP » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:30:17

Hi,

Check out this link that chasbo provided in another thread

http://www.veryComputer.com/

I don't know what the quality is like though.

Andrew Clark
MVP - Windows Media Center

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Andrew,

>Just tried everything you said and I got one of my MCE

recorded programs to
Quote:>play on a non-MCE computer! That was very cool!

>(This is gonna be great because I'm the computer teacher
at an elementary
>school, so this will allow me to record educational
programs for the
>teachers, use the network to move the files to each

individual machine, then
>use the machine to play the files! Pretty cool!)

>One thing: Is there any other program I can use beside
NVDVD? Has anyone
>gotten any freeware to work? If so, please let us know!

>Thanks,
>Carl Sannito

>> Hi,

>> Please ensure that you have a software DVD player such
as
>> Nvidia NVDVD installed on your system.  This is required
>> to play dvr.ms files on a non-mce machine as the format
is
>> MPG2.

>> If you don't have a software player capable of playing
>> DVD's you most likely don't have an MPG2 codec
installed,
>> which will stop you from being able to playback the
files.

>> It's your choice as to what player you install.

>> Andrew Clark
>> MVP - Windows Media Center

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by <Luis> » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:10:34

Andrew,

The quality of Elecard is pretty good. The company I used to work for
licensed it for using it with our design. Very good decoder.

Luis

> Hi,

> Check out this link that chasbo provided in another thread

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I don't know what the quality is like though.

> Andrew Clark
> MVP - Windows Media Center

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Michel Bordeleau - MV » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:32:48

Good question, I have not tried it on a non-XP machine - don't have any of
those anymore :)

The recorded programs are stored in  (from memory, hopefully it's right)

c:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents\shared TV

Hope this helps.

--

Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP Windows XP Media Center

> Just saw this and have some more basic questions.
> Can you play them on non xp machines running WMP9?
> What directory are the recorded TV files stored?

> > So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> > other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> > none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> > file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> > Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> > I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> > products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> > doing brain surgery.

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Rick Kingslan [MVP-NT/2000 » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:23:10

Ehhh....you know I just can't stay out of the Party!  ;)
--
Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert

> :)

> Welcome to the newsgroup Rick!

> --
> James Edelen
> Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
> Microsoft Associate Expert

> message

> > David, James -

> > Good call!  Updated my WMP9 on my WinXP SP1 (nope, not an MCE box -
> > that's
> > the other computer by the 4 servers in the corner....) and it's
> confirmed -
> > this update should provide the ability to play the DVR.MS media.  Just
> > watched the episode of '24' from the other night - across the
> > network.....

> > Now, THAT'S cool!  =)  But, then - I'm a techno-geek, too....
> > --
> > Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
> > Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
> > Associate Expert
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Go to windowsupdate and get the patch for WMP9 so you can do this.

> > > --
> > > James Edelen
> > > Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
> > > Microsoft Associate Expert
> > > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Come on Microsoft :(

Post by Rick Kingslan [MVP-NT/2000 » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:30:02

I'd have to say no, at least at present.  The technology that is used (SBE
and Enc/Dec - Stream Buffer Engine and Encryptor/DeCryptor) was delivered
with Windows XP SP1.  It was noted to have been upgraded (or patched, as it
were) in the Q article cited by David Denmark on 1/8 in this thread.

--
Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert

> Just saw this and have some more basic questions.
> Can you play them on non xp machines running WMP9?
> What directory are the recorded TV files stored?

> > So i got all e*d..downloaded wmp9, the codec and the
> > other update to see if I could play recorded tv from a
> > none mce machine. Guess what! I can't! When I open the
> > file I get the an error downloading codec in wmp.
> > Surprise..Surprise it doesn't work.
> > I know I sound a little harsh, and realyy I do like MS
> > products, but I really think we are lucky they are not
> > doing brain surgery.

1. PLZ HELP!!! :(:(:(

I have a few problems here, so il list them all:
1. Everytime i go to my hotmail it says this page cannot
be displayed ive emptied my cache and deleted my cookie
no effect

2. Your current security setting prohibit running activeX
controls on this page, as a result this page may not
display correctly ive changed my security settings around

3. i get this admin only error, all the time even tho im
logged in, this is when i go to update or try too, its
really annoying as i cant update at all, here is the
message ive got: To install items from Windows Update,
you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of
the Administrators group. If your computer is connected
to a network, network policy settings may also prevent
you from completing this procedure.
please help im desperate, ive followed all
troubleshooters :(
!!!!!

2. How to choose which DHCP scope for which machine?

3. low volume recording:( help please :(

4. extream slowdown with file operations when using UNC filenames

5. no text!!! :( :(

6. RAS Event 20159 Help please

7. :( Jeez!!! :(

8. Outlook Express headers, where are they.

9. Infected files supposedly coming from Microsoft.

10. Microsoft Phone KILLER is coming...

11. WARNING: (Microsoft & CNET) Is this where SPAM comes from?

12. windowsupdate.microsoft.com comes up blank

13. Please help me..... my computer always get restarted... :(:(:(