no sound even after reformat

Post by M Fin » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:59:14

I have sound from the bios test of the sound card, but
otherwise no sound when playing recorded music either
from the hard drive or from a CD. No sound either from
system sounds.
I reformatted the hard drive to reset to factory
settings. Still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

no sound even after reformat

Post by sfaje » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:30:40

Check inside the device manager to make sure that your sound card has
drivers loaded.

Jeff Griffin

Windows XP Media Center Edition Forum

no sound even after reformat

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:43:07

Also, the BIOS sound usually uses the system speaker (internal speaker), not
the sound card/main speakers.  Make sure the driver is loaded as jeff
suggests.  Your hardware could also be bad.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server

Quote:> I have sound from the bios test of the sound card, but
> otherwise no sound when playing recorded music either
> from the hard drive or from a CD. No sound either from
> system sounds.
> I reformatted the hard drive to reset to factory
> settings. Still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

no sound even after reformat

Post by Luis A. Burgo » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:23:14

M Fine,

This question may sound stupid, but, are the speakers properly connected to
the sound card? If they are powered speakers, are they connected to the AC
outlet?

If your system has a subwoofer, are they correctly connected to the
subwoofer? Is the power button located on the subwoofer -if any, turned
on?Is the volume knob at the speakers set at an appropriate level?

When everything fails, it is sometimes worthy to look at the minor details.

regards,

Luis