Licenses ... copied from HD before reformat?

Licenses ... copied from HD before reformat?

Post by Curtis P. Fulle » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:29:48

Good Morning,

 I was having problems with my computer not properly shutting down, WMP7
crashing the system, among other things. So I decided to back everything up
and reformat the harddrive and start over.
 I completed all of that. What I did to backup my music (most of which WMP7
had saved on the harddrive before it started crashing), was to zip it all up
and put it on CD. Then I copied it back and unzipped it all to where it was
before.
 Now when I go to play most of my music I get an error message saying that
"license cannot be found for this media file."  How can I get around this
without having to rerecord my 200 CDs?
 Thank you!

Curtis Fuller

Post by Mistoffolee » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:05:19

> Good Morning,

>  I was having problems with my computer not properly shutting down, WMP7
> crashing the system, among other things. So I decided to back everything up
> and reformat the harddrive and start over.
>  I completed all of that. What I did to backup my music (most of which WMP7
> had saved on the harddrive before it started crashing), was to zip it all up
> and put it on CD. Then I copied it back and unzipped it all to where it was
> before.
>  Now when I go to play most of my music I get an error message saying that
> "license cannot be found for this media file."  How can I get around this
> without having to rerecord my 200 CDs?
>  Thank you!

> Curtis Fuller

This may be relevant:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q265/4/73.ASP

1. Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

I know you can change the drive letter of extra drives,
but if it's the one with the operating system on it
(WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason. Now
some of my programs and utilities have been installing
kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I want
to change that drive to regular old C:.

I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I know
this sounds crazy, so before I push the button, anybody
got anything else to add?

2. Having WMP-7.1 recognise all songs on computer

3. copy HD to USB HD for back up

4. Job Postings

5. coverting volume licence copy to legit copy?

6. NT40 and Sony CDEXTRA disks

7. Copying e-mail addresses & folders from former HD to new HD

8. I'm Surprised No One Can Help

9. XP Pro-How to copy hd C:\ to HD d:\ &make d:\ bootable ?

10. Copy Entire HD to new HD

11. Mismatch errors copying files HD -> HD

12. Reformat XP Drive - license ?

13. Anyone now how to transker/keep artist/title/album assignments when reformatting HD & reinstalling WMP7?