HELP! AVIs Mess Up on P5

Post by Steve Sieg » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

I've recently upgraded from a 486 to a Pentium development
environment, and am having difficulty properly playing AVI videos.

I upgraded so as to migrate development platforms. Old system was
486/66/EISA/SCSI; Stealth 24 ISA; Turtle Beach Multisound Classic.
New system is P150/PCI/SCSI (Asus P55T2P4); Stealth 64 2001 PCI ;
Turtle Beach Pinnacle ISA. Both currently using Windows 3.1.

When I now play AVI videos (RLE compressed) with sound, the video does
not display correctly. For example, in a cartoon with 3 knocks on a
door, with accompanying 3 visual sounds waves coming from the door,
the 3 visual sound waves are not spaced regularly. Or sometimes the 3
become 2. (The same AVI plays fine on a 486/25 with the right video
card and driver!)

Using Vidtest, no frames are being dropped, and CPU utilization is at
a minimum. I'venow tried this with combinations of Stealth 64/Matrox
Millenium; Turtle Beach Pinnacle/Soundblaster 64 AWE Gold. Same
problem. When I use an old Media Vision Pro Audio Studio, problem goes
away. When I use a Diamond Stealth 24 ISA, problem decreased. I've
also tried some combinations on an ABIT IT5H. Same results.

My only guess at this point is that new drivers are digging into
Direct(ThisAndThat) and things are getting messed up. Or perhaps the
timings of the ISA and PCI busses are involved. Or perhaps I need a
classier (Micronics or AMI) motherboard with potentially superior
circuitry. I'm groping!

Any help really appreciated!

Steve

1. HELP! AVIs Mess Up On P5

[...]

2. Win95 name registration

3. NT Blue screen of death slowed my P5-90 to P5-60 speed !

4. larger desktop than resolution will support (and fool programs)

5. How can I combine or edit Avis to Avis or Mpegs to Mpegs?

6. MS VC++ Rev 1.5 to 4.0 Upgrade Issues

7. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

8. Win98-Splashscreen

9. windows 95 mess ups

10. Please help - playing AVIs

11. Help! My MPLAYER stopped playing AVIs!

12. Help needed with AVIs