Program for Changing Screen Resolution without User Intervention

Post by Matt Kurti » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Program for Changing Screen Resolution without User Intervention

I'm trying to write a program that changes the screen resolution to 800 x
600 x 16 bit.  I found the following on the internet, but evidently
Microsoft has reorganized.  I can't get to this link anymore.

Quote:>Free Screen Resolution Switching Application
>Microsoft Visual C++ Free Screen-Resolution Switching Application
>Do you frequently need to change screen resolutions on the fly? Click
below
>to download a handy little screen ...
>39% ? http://www.microsoft.com/visualc/FreeStuff/SCRNSWT.htm ? ? (Size

2.9K)

Does anyone know where it has been moved to?

In order to clarify what I'm looking for:
1) I don't want a program like QuickRes that requires user interaction.  I
just want to set the resolution to 800 x 600 x 16 bit.  If QuickRes takes
command line parameters that set the resolution, I could use it.  I can't
find any documentation that explains the QuickRes command line parameters.

2) I don't want a program that sets the resolution only while that program
is running.  I need to set the resolution, run several other programs that
don't have the capability of setting the resolution, then set the
resolution back to what it was before.  I know that Direct X programs can
set the resolution, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to keep the new
resolution once the Direct X program ends.  The resolution is set back to
what it was before.

I may not have access to this newsgroup for the next couple of days.

Matt Kurtin

Program for Changing Screen Resolution without User Intervention

Post by Matt Kurti » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> 1) I don't want a program like QuickRes that requires user interaction.
> just want to set the resolution to 800 x 600 x 16 bit.  If QuickRes takes
> command line parameters that set the resolution, I could use it.  I can't
> find any documentation that explains the QuickRes command line

parameters.

I've found a program that automates QuickRes so that no user interaction is
required:
qres1000 located at http://home.pi.net/~einhard/qres.html

Unfortunately, I don't think this going to help because I don't think
QuickRes will work with Windows NT Workstaton 4.0.  I tried in on Windows
NT server 4.0 and it didn't work.

That means I'm still looking for a program that will set the resolution to
800 x 600 x 16 bit for Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with no user interaction.

Matt Kurtin