unable to add or delete multicast routes

unable to add or delete multicast routes

Post by Davi » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:50:07

Hi - I'm having a problem manually adding multicast routes
to the routing table - i.e.
route add 224.100.100.101 (my gw address)
(or any route to addresses above 224.0.0.0)

returns-
"route addition failed: the parameter is incorrect"

I'm trying to get several multihomed and multimodem
servers working with different gateways for different
multicast groups so this is essential. I found this
technote which implies that it is somehow possible-

Q226124 - "PPP or PPTP Multicast may  require a maunual
route statement"

Doesn't show how to accomplish this however. I have tried
every conceivable combination of parameters using the
route command - different masks, interfaces, wildcards,
nothing works. Does not work on single adapter,ip
installations as well - nor on W2K server, AS,
Professional - Service Packs non, 1 or 2.

BUT - it does work on Windows Whistler Beta/XP!!!!!

Please help. Don't make me go back to Linux!

unable to add or delete multicast routes

Post by mario Guerreir » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:29:45

When it comes to multicasting you don't add class-d
addresses to your routing table.  Class-d's become known
by the router once the stream starts and if the router is
multicast enabled it will let the rest of the routers know
about it.  That's one of the problems, your routers must
be multicast enabled for it works.

You might ask "how does WMPlayer know the class-d address
of the stream?".  The .nsc file that is created when you
create the multicast stream has the class-d address in
it.  When WMP asks for the .nsc file it pushes the encoded
file to the WMP who decodes the info in there, including
the class-d address, then WMP does an ICMP request to the
router for the given class-d.  If the router knows about
that address it will forward the stream to the WMP.

I hope this helps,
Mario

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi - I'm having a problem manually adding multicast
routes
>to the routing table - i.e.
>route add 224.100.100.101 (my gw address)
>(or any route to addresses above 224.0.0.0)

>returns-
>"route addition failed: the parameter is incorrect"

>I'm trying to get several multihomed and multimodem
>servers working with different gateways for different
>multicast groups so this is essential. I found this
>technote which implies that it is somehow possible-

>Q226124 - "PPP or PPTP Multicast may  require a maunual
>route statement"

>Doesn't show how to accomplish this however. I have tried
>every conceivable combination of parameters using the
>route command - different masks, interfaces, wildcards,
>nothing works. Does not work on single adapter,ip
>installations as well - nor on W2K server, AS,
>Professional - Service Packs non, 1 or 2.

>BUT - it does work on Windows Whistler Beta/XP!!!!!

>Please help. Don't make me go back to Linux!
>.

unable to add or delete multicast routes

Post by David Rhode » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:31:44

Thanks for your help, but maybe I wasn't clear before.

My hosts have multiple interfaces which can all potentially join the same
groups on each one. With Windows XP and Linux I can add a static route to
force the stack to use one or the other. If I run 'route print' in W2K,
there appears 1to N entries for 224.0.0.0 (mcast default route) for each
interface. They all are assigned a metric of one which causes the first
entry to take priority by default. This is bad. In XP, each dialup PPP
session will decrement the metric correctly for each interface - 1, 2, 3,
etc and allow manual changes to override the order. My multicast routers are
working fine and not an issue in this case, nor is wmplayer at the app
layer - definitely an IP layer problem.
Thanks anyway - fairly obscure to most but these types of issues are why
multicast has not gone mainstream.

Quote:> When it comes to multicasting you don't add class-d
> addresses to your routing table.  Class-d's become known
> by the router once the stream starts and if the router is
> multicast enabled it will let the rest of the routers know
> about it.  That's one of the problems, your routers must
> be multicast enabled for it works.

> You might ask "how does WMPlayer know the class-d address
> of the stream?".  The .nsc file that is created when you
> create the multicast stream has the class-d address in
> it.  When WMP asks for the .nsc file it pushes the encoded
> file to the WMP who decodes the info in there, including
> the class-d address, then WMP does an ICMP request to the
> router for the given class-d.  If the router knows about
> that address it will forward the stream to the WMP.

> I hope this helps,
> Mario

1. Route DELETE / Route ADD

I am using following command which does not work. Please
help me out for this command with Windows XP. I have used
this command in windows 2000 and ME without any error.

ROUTE DELETE 132.148.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0

Error
      the specified route was not found

where as the rout print shows the route available.

Regards

Ali Mubarik

2. Good Intro to VB in WinCE

3. Deleting route prior to user login/Required user rights for route delete

4. HELP

5. API for adding/deleting NT IP Routes ????

6. Changing the "logged off" screen saver

7. Dynamically changing routing information (route add)

8. Answering machine with voice modem

9. RAS Routing: route add... interface

10. Does cable (was @home, now Shaw cable) routes multicast packets?

11. RTP and multicast routing

12. Multicast Binds to Wrong Interface - Routing Broken

13. Can NT route UDP multicasts ?