DVD Backup Buddy a slick SCAM !!!

Post by Mike Feel » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:55:56

I have been getting a lot of SPAM recently for DVD Backup Buddy, Video
Game Backup Buddy, VHS to DVD Buddy software. It's just a SCAM !!! See
this post:
Subject: DVD BACKUP BUDDY!!!
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.xbox

"They want you to pay $40 and all you get is a page which tells you
how to copy a DVD using several free applications from the net.
Please post this message in as many places as possible, as the advert
you get is ** really **convincing, that the software will just copy a
DVD to a VCD or SVCD with a single click.  Only when you get it do you
realize that's not the case!!

It also tells you it will copy ps2 games etc. without a modchip, but
the instructions you get say you have to open your ps2 up (10 minute
job) every time you want to play a new game.  (It doesn't tell you any
of this until you have already paid!!)"

I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO MAKE BACKUP COPIES OF THEIR DVD's
and GAME CD-ROM's.  BUT, THE ABOVE IS DEFINITELY NOT THE ANSWER !!!

Their are legitimate reasons for copying YOUR CD's and DVD's as well
as illegal ones. My own kids scratch up their game CD's so bad they
quit working. I'd like to make duplicates of the original CD's for
them to use cheaply, but have long since given up trying with free
software and CD-R burner technology. Oh, Well!

I know a lot of game CD's can be replaced by the manufacturer if you
send them the old CD, receipts, and often postage and fees, etc! There
is also a lot of correspondence necessary to even get PERMISSION to do
this! When you have young kids frequently using and abusing multiple
game CD's the cost in TIME and MONEY to do this really adds up! I'm
glad I can still make Backups of their Music CD's!

I was tempted to try this solution also when I got their SPAM MAIL,
but thought to do a search of GROUPS first to see if it was legit!
Thank GOD for people helping others in "GROUPS" !!!