XP hard crashes using WMP 8

Post by Les Alderso » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 05:44:41

I am running XP home edition with WMP 8. I have the latest
Divx codec from www.divx.com installed. The latest ATI
REDEON XP driver is installed for my graphics card. I have
512mb of memory installed with about 1 gig of vertual
memory. There is over 5 gigs of disk space in my XP
partition. I'm dual booting with Win98SE on C: and XP on
D:. The XP clean install set up dual boot.

My WMP is the only program that has caused a hard crash in
XP.

If I am playing a local AVI file and advance the playback
or exit while the AVI file is playing I "sometimes" get a
hard crash. Sometimes I get a soft crash of WMP and a lot
of the time everything works fine. The hard crashes are
happening often enough that I don't run WMP when any other
job is working.

My system is very stable except for this problem.

I can see that there are many variations of this problem
in the newsgroup. I found WMP to be prone to hard crashes
in Windows 98 on three different systems. I was hoping
that XP would cure that but it doesn't look like it will.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

XP hard crashes using WMP 8

Post by zachd [ms » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:31:18

Is the crash isolated out to just AVI files, or is it isolated out even
further to, say, a specific codec from a specific vendor?  If it's generic
to AVI files, that would eliminate the codec as a source of concern.
See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.
--

Quote:> I am running XP home edition with WMP 8. I have the latest

Post by Ted Harpe » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:34:47

>If I am playing a local AVI file and advance the playback
>or exit while the AVI file is playing I "sometimes" get a
>hard crash. Sometimes I get a soft crash of WMP and a lot
>of the time everything works fine. The hard crashes are
>happening often enough that I don't run WMP when any other
>job is working.

What error messages (on the Blue Screen of Death) are you seeing
on a hard crash of XP? I only ask because when I was having BSOD
problems with XP on my machine, the problem was with (an updated
version of) the NVidia graphics card driver (the "infinite loop"
error you may well have read about in these newsgroups and
elsewhere). Anyway, Media Player happened to be one of the apps
which stressed the driver enough to cause the crash, whereas
"normal" use of my machine (I don't play games much) didn't even
have it breaking into a sweat.

Perhaps in your case also it is because Media Player (in playing
back a video clip) is slamming data into your video driver/card
at a high enough rate to tip it - and hence XP - over the edge,
rather than the problem being within Media Player per se?

If you're just getting a sudden reboot, rather than the
"traditional" Blue Screen of Death on a hard crash, you should
change the settings such that "reboot immediately on error" (I
can't remember the exact name, but it's a checkbox) is turned
off. With this changed, you'll at least see the driver and the
nature of the problem, and it might give you some useful
keywords to go searching Microsoft and Google with...

ted.h.

p.s. If by any chance you *do* have an NVidia graphics card and
are using a newer/updated driver than the one on the XP CD, try
falling back to that original one and see if the error recurs.
My machine is 100% rock solid (no crashes at all in ~3 months
now) since falling back to that standard Microsoft-provided
driver for my card.

---
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)

Voice: +61-418-442-342

XP hard crashes using WMP 8

Post by zachd [ms » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:27:55

> p.s. If by any chance you *do* have an NVidia graphics card and
> are using a newer/updated driver than the one on the XP CD, try
> falling back to that original one and see if the error recurs.
> My machine is 100% rock solid (no crashes at all in ~3 months
> now) since falling back to that standard Microsoft-provided
> driver for my card.

This is funny to me because I know exactly what you're talking about - I
have the same card on my primary computer and just blue-screened myself with
the *original* driver yesterday.  I got the update from
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and my computer seems to be much happier now.

Post by Ted Harpe » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:03:49

>This is funny to me because I know exactly what you're talking about - I
>have the same card on my primary computer and just blue-screened myself with
>the *original* driver yesterday.  I got the update from
>windowsupdate.microsoft.com and my computer seems to be much happier now.

I had a rock-solid XP install, then got all e*d about the
super-duper "Detonator 4" drivers when NVidia announced them,
updated from the Microsoft-provided (12.7x?) drivers, had
sporadic "infinite loop" crashes under video stress - directx
screen savers, 3d graphics benchmark prgrams, playing back DVDs
(even starting Encarta 2002 and VisualStudio.net would you
believe), etc - THEN I gave up and rolled back to the original
Microsoft GeForce3 drivers, and literally *no* blue screen
crashes since (ie for MONTHS now), including a fair bit of heavy
graphics use.

I have seen the updated XP GeForce3 drivers on Windows Update
for the last couple of weeks, _but_ have so far resisted them.
Maybe I'll get brave this weekend after I finish all the things
I really have to get through (digital video editing and test
playbacks as WMV and VideoCD). Your good experience with the
WindowsUpdate ones gives me more confidence though!

NB: People seem to be saying the 27.xx beta/leaked NVidia
drivers are the most solid (behind the ones on the original XP
disc), but they are definitely a long way too "bleeding edge"
for me ;-) They might be a something-to-try option for the
original poster in the thread though if their hard XP crashes
during Media Player playback turn out to be caused by an NVidia
video driver going belly-up under stress on their machine...

ted.h.
---
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)

Voice: +61-418-442-342

XP hard crashes using WMP 8

Post by Les Alderso » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:35:43

Thanks for the reply. I have just been reading about how to identify codec
files. I'll collect some information and see where that takes me. I need a
time slot where I don't mind crashing.

Les

> Is the crash isolated out to just AVI files, or is it isolated out even
> further to, say, a specific codec from a specific vendor?  If it's generic
> to AVI files, that would eliminate the codec as a source of concern.
> --
> (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful
WMP
> info.
> --

> > I am running XP home edition with WMP 8. I have the latest
> > Divx codec from www.divx.com installed. The latest ATI
> > REDEON XP driver is installed for my graphics card. I have
> > 512mb of memory installed with about 1 gig of vertual
> > memory. There is over 5 gigs of disk space in my XP
> > partition. I'm dual booting with Win98SE on C: and XP on
> > D:. The XP clean install set up dual boot.

> > My WMP is the only program that has caused a hard crash in
> > XP.

> > If I am playing a local AVI file and advance the playback
> > or exit while the AVI file is playing I "sometimes" get a
> > hard crash. Sometimes I get a soft crash of WMP and a lot
> > of the time everything works fine. The hard crashes are
> > happening often enough that I don't run WMP when any other
> > job is working.

> > My system is very stable except for this problem.

> > I can see that there are many variations of this problem
> > in the newsgroup. I found WMP to be prone to hard crashes
> > in Windows 98 on three different systems. I was hoping
> > that XP would cure that but it doesn't look like it will.

> > Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

XP hard crashes using WMP 8

Post by Les Alderso » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:47:17

Thanks for the interesting ideas. I don't get an automatic reboot. Either a
hard crash or WMP is shut down by XP because it's in trouble. The problem
started on XP with it's driver for my card. After I upgraded  to ATI's XP
driver for the card there was no improvement.

My system is:

I am running XP home edition with WMP 8. I have the latest
Divx codec from www.divx.com installed. The latest ATI
REDEON XP driver is installed for my graphics card. I have
512mb of memory installed with about 1 gig of virtual
memory. There is over 5 gigs of disk space in my XP
partition. I'm dual booting with Win98SE on C: and XP on
D:. The XP clean install set up dual boot.

> If you're just getting a sudden reboot, rather than the
> "traditional" Blue Screen of Death on a hard crash, you should
> change the settings such that "reboot immediately on error" (I
> can't remember the exact name, but it's a checkbox) is turned
> off. With this changed, you'll at least see the driver and the
> nature of the problem, and it might give you some useful
> keywords to go searching Microsoft and Google with...

Where will I find this check box? Seems like a handy thing to know.

Les

1. Outlook 2000 crashes XP HARD HARD HARD!

Hmmm - puzzled over this one.  Yesterday, Outlook 2000
(fully updated via web) crashed - the mouse cursor got
jumpy, and I couldn't switch out of the program.  Could
not alt-tab to desktop, nor ctrl-alt-delete to quit
program.  Had to UNPLUG the computer to regain control.

Backed up the Outlook.pst database file, uninstalled,
then re-installed from CD.  Same thing.  Deleted,
uninstalled and scrubbed the registry, did an Antivirus
scan, Norton Win Doctor, Norton Disk Doctor, reinstalled -
 same thing.

What is going on here!!

-totally confused.

Suggestions welcome!

PS, you can email suggestions, as I have a Mac backup
machine that I can access email on.

ADVthanksANCE

2. Word and PC-Cillin suddenly don't work

3. WMP crashes system on start-up of WMP

4. Opinions on ArcServe for NT

5. WMP hangs and crashes...and will eventually crash system

6. server hard drives

7. Booting XP from CLean Hard Drive ie, Setup crashing old XP install not booting

8. Play Back Video

9. WMP XP crashes system when online

10. WMP Xp Streaming causes crash

11. embedded WMP in XP crashing IE6 on window close

12. Can I view a VCD using WMP with a DVD-rom in XP Pro?

13. Can't burn CD's using XP WMP