App & agent when not using GUI

Post by Dave Collin » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:17:35

Trying to administer remote instances of encoder. I do
*not* need the UI (either remotely or locally).

The SDK docs are ambiguous on this. They suggest that the
App object can be used if you want to display the
interface. Well, I don't, so do I need the app object?

Do I need to use the Agent object or the App object at
all? i.e. Can I set and get the Encoders directly?

It seems that the agent is the only way to get the Encoder
instances into the Names Collection.

Dave

App & agent when not using GUI

Post by Dave » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:25:15

I should mention I'm working in VB.

Dave

App & agent when not using GUI

> Trying to administer remote instances of encoder. I do
> *not* need the UI (either remotely or locally).

> The SDK docs are ambiguous on this. They suggest that the
> App object can be used if you want to display the
> interface. Well, I don't, so do I need the app object?

> Do I need to use the Agent object or the App object at
> all? i.e. Can I set and get the Encoders directly?

> It seems that the agent is the only way to get the Encoder
> instances into the Names Collection.

> Dave

Hi Dave!

Well, with the WMEncoderAgent you get directly WMEncoder objects, which can
or cannot be used by a WMEncoderApp object.
So, you don't have to worry about this.

To get them remotelly, you first must create a WMEncAgentLocator object, and
use the GetAgent() method with the remote machine name as its parameter, to
get a WMEncAgent object.
Then you can use the IWMEncoderNamesCollection interface and the
GetEncoder() method to get the existing WMEncoder objects on that machine.

The tricky part resides on configuring the remote machine to allow other
machines to get its WMEncAgent object...
As it is said in the docs, you must configure DCOM, but I've done my best
and still haven't found how to configure this part.
If anyone knows about this, I'd be very glad if he/she explains the way to
perform this.

Adios!

1. Killing a console window created using AllocConsole() in an MFC GUI app

Hello all,

There have been numerous postings about how to use printf() and cout
in the context of a GUI application.  I have done such a thing in my
application, but I seem to have run into a stumbling block.  I have a
menu item that hides or shows my "log" window, which is nothing more
than a console created via AllocConsole().  Now what happens is if the
user closes the console window by clicking on the "x marks the spot
close area" up there in the upper right-hand corner my entire
application exits!  I would prefer to prevent this from occurring,
either one of two ways:

(a) Is there some Windows configuration that prevents the
minimize/maximize/close title-bar areas from appearing in console
windows?  Barring that, is there something in AllocConsole() or the
related console API that will prevent these from appearing?  Is there
a windows hook method I could use?

(b) Is there a way to catch the close event occurring, and then
perhaps re-AllocConsole() a new console?

To provide some more context, my MFC app spins off a little thread
that calls AllocConsole.  In this thread I use the FindWindow() Win32
function to grab and store an HWND, which I subsequently use to
hide/show the window depending on GUI menu callbacks.  My thread proc
is quite simple :

while (m_bRunning)

  WriteFile(hConOut, ...);

FreeConsole();

Of course, I've tried setting a breakpoint in a destructor, which sets
m_bRunning to FALSE, and then closed my console window.  The entire
application still terminates and the debugger never hits the
breakpoint.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.  I really don't want to
slap together a GUI entity that shuttles STDOUT and STDERR onto a rich
text-edit control.

-Shehrzad

2. RD port changed & Web Connection

3. Console style app using MFC and Windows GUI

4. dcom problems

5. Interface between 16Bit DOS or 32Bit Console App and Win GUI app under Windows NT

6. my headphones work but my speakers won't!

7. Mozilla, Agent & OE, which is best for using newsgroups?

8. VGA driver problem

9. Qst:: Distributing an MFC app which uses DAO & Access

10. netscape & eudora local apps using prefs on network

11. Windowblinds skin app killed Luna GUI

12. win2000服务器登陆后,客户端全部断开?

13. Launch desktop/GUI app from service?