How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by Russell W. Coove » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:46:47

I just installed the new beta version of Windows Media Player 9.0. It failed
to completely install. I reinstalled it again, but was unable to reinstall
it completely. What I have is WiMP 9.0 Beta without some of the features. I
would like to uninstall it and go back to version 8, but I have not figured
out a way to do this short of deleting the   C:\Program Files\Windows Media
Player file and then cleaning the registry. There is no mention of WiMP in
the Add/Delete Programs portion of the Control Panel.

Of course, I could reinstall Win XP, but that would mean a complete
reinstall of all the updated components, too - a process that would take
several hours.

Is there an easier way to uninstall WiMP Beta 9 and reinstall WiMP 8?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Russell W. Coover

How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by Russell W. Coove » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:58:48

I just found an article indicating that the way to uninstall WiMP 9.0 was to
use System Restore. Unfortunately, because of the small size I gave to
System Restore, the Restore Point prior to the first installation no longer
exists. I shall increase the space for System Restore in the future, but
what do I do now?

Russ Coover

Quote:> I just installed the new beta version of Windows Media Player 9.0. It
failed
> to completely install. I reinstalled it again, but was unable to reinstall
> it completely. What I have is WiMP 9.0 Beta without some of the features.
> would like to uninstall it and go back to version 8, but I have not
figured
> out a way to do this short of deleting the   C:\Program Files\Windows
Media
> Player file and then cleaning the registry. There is no mention of WiMP in
> the Add/Delete Programs portion of the Control Panel.

> Of course, I could reinstall Win XP, but that would mean a complete
> reinstall of all the updated components, too - a process that would take
> several hours.

> Is there an easier way to uninstall WiMP Beta 9 and reinstall WiMP 8?

> Thank you very much for any help you can give.

> Russell W. Coover

How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by zachd [ms » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 04:13:08

Per DRH-
===
Take your windows XP disk, and insert it.  after you enter the CD Key
it will ask if you want to do a upgrade or a full install.  you can click
either but Full install will give you information an option to repair
the version of windows you have on the system.

After it reboots and starts the install, you will come to the first part
asking
if you want to enter repair console.  you want to continue at that point.
after that point, it will search system for a previous version of windows.
when it finds the previous windows xp build, it will ask if you want to
repair it.

It will reset the system to 2600 range and you will have to go to windows
update to get all of the updates afterwards.  Although if you have updated
any of the drivers and done that from the hard drive and still have it on
the
hard drive it will load those drivers on install.

Saves the Format and start over scenario. and does a fairly good job of not
messing up the system.
===

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is helpful.
--

> I just found an article indicating that the way to uninstall WiMP 9.0 was
> use System Restore. Unfortunately, because of the small size I gave to
> System Restore, the Restore Point prior to the first installation no
longer
> exists. I shall increase the space for System Restore in the future, but
> what do I do now?

> Russ Coover

> > I just installed the new beta version of Windows Media Player 9.0. It
> failed
> > to completely install. I reinstalled it again, but was unable to
reinstall
> > it completely. What I have is WiMP 9.0 Beta without some of the
features.
> > would like to uninstall it and go back to version 8, but I have not
> figured
> > out a way to do this short of deleting the   C:\Program Files\Windows
> Media
> > Player file and then cleaning the registry. There is no mention of WiMP
in
> > the Add/Delete Programs portion of the Control Panel.

> > Of course, I could reinstall Win XP, but that would mean a complete
> > reinstall of all the updated components, too - a process that would take
> > several hours.

> > Is there an easier way to uninstall WiMP Beta 9 and reinstall WiMP 8?

> > Thank you very much for any help you can give.

> > Russell W. Coover

How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by Haze » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 04:37:21

USE A HAMMER
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just installed the new beta version of Windows Media

Player 9.0. It failed
Quote:>to completely install. I reinstalled it again, but was
unable to reinstall
>it completely. What I have is WiMP 9.0 Beta without some
of the features. I
>would like to uninstall it and go back to version 8, but
I have not figured
>out a way to do this short of deleting the   C:\Program
Files\Windows Media
>Player file and then cleaning the registry. There is no
mention of WiMP in
>the Add/Delete Programs portion of the Control Panel.

>Of course, I could reinstall Win XP, but that would mean
a complete
>reinstall of all the updated components, too - a process
that would take
>several hours.

>Is there an easier way to uninstall WiMP Beta 9 and
reinstall WiMP 8?

>Thank you very much for any help you can give.

>Russell W. Coover

>.

How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by Russell W. Coove » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 04:52:20

I deserved that!

I really hope you can repair your upside down WiMP, Hazel, but honestly,
have no idea how to do that short of a OS reinstall. I was just trying to
add a little humor to the situation. I guess it was too "little humor."

Russ

Quote:> USE A HAMMER

Post by john » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 06:48:51

the only way to uninstall is to to do a sytem restore to
a point prio to installing beta 9
hope this  helps
john

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just installed the new beta version of Windows Media

Player 9.0. It failed
Quote:>to completely install. I reinstalled it again, but was
unable to reinstall
>it completely. What I have is WiMP 9.0 Beta without some
of the features. I
>would like to uninstall it and go back to version 8, but
I have not figured
>out a way to do this short of deleting the   C:\Program
Files\Windows Media
>Player file and then cleaning the registry. There is no
mention of WiMP in
>the Add/Delete Programs portion of the Control Panel.

>Of course, I could reinstall Win XP, but that would mean
a complete
>reinstall of all the updated components, too - a process
that would take
>several hours.

>Is there an easier way to uninstall WiMP Beta 9 and
reinstall WiMP 8?

>Thank you very much for any help you can give.

>Russell W. Coover

>.

How do I uninstall WiMP 9.0 Beta?

Post by Sidewind » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:46:48

Unless you have SP1...then you can unistall it using the component remove feature.

> the only way to uninstall is to to do a sytem restore to
> a point prio to installing beta 9
> hope this  helps
> john

1. Clean Uninstall WiMP 6.4

Target Question: How do I cleanly permanently remove Windows Media Player
6.4 - all files and registry entries so that I can reinstall it and make it
functional again.

Here is a message that I had posted to win98.apps and was told to check
here.

<<
Hi everyone. I usually don't post to the microsoft newsgroups (for those of
you who are reading this message there); this is my last resort. yet no one
else 'round usenet seems to know...

Since last week, IIRC it was then, i've been having trouble with Windows
Media Player 6.4. It won't start. When I put in its path or simply 2click
the icon, the 'busy-in-background' cursor flickers for a sec and then
nothing. When I try to open any streaming file (ASF, MPG, etc), windows says
it can't open it - it doesn't say can't find app to open it with. I
downloaded the wimp 6.4 installer from microsoft's site. The first time I
tried it, the installer halted the entire system (so much for protected
mode) once it got to the 'installing media player' stage. I tried this a
couple of more times, and then had another thought. I used M$ RegClean, and
sweeped the registry. The installer successfully installed everything after
that sweep, but still no go as far as RUNNING the player was concerned. I do
not have any idea what I did to have this start happening all of a sudden,
and the only thing that I think I had installed beforehand were some winamp
plugins. I'll try reinstalling them and see if WiMP starts working just to
see if somehow they snuck in a dependency problem. But meanwhile, anyone
have any suggestions??? I don't want to use WiMP 7, cause it's bloated,
ugly, and a memory killer, nor do I want to use real player, for the same
reason.

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm desperate for a solution, and I think I
'cross-posted' the 'right way'...
Also, if you have an opinion about one of my opinions in this letter, rather
than an actual answer to the question, please respond to my email.

Thanks in advance!
hello

extra information:
<<
sorry, forgot to mention that I /did/ check the associations, and it's all
pointing in the right direction. When windows tries to open the file, it
tries running the program, and the same results as with manually running the
program occur.

<<
is dead.. ugh. just when you need something you get a 404...

Thanks in Advance
hello

2. error message on netscape

3. error after installing windows media player 9.0 beta

4. Win 98/95

5. - Question regarding WMP 9.0 Beta (can I have 7.1 too?)

6. How to reset button assignment in Media player

7. Media Player Version 9.0 Beta

8. install nt 4 next to 98 : would like to find info on that

9. WinRip 2.1 stopped working after I installed Windows Media Player 9.0 beta

10. WMP 9.0 Beta will not play video

11. codec wmp 9.0 beta

12. Direct X 9.0 NON beta that was pulled last night

13. Windows Media Player Beta ver. 9.0