What are Xerox up to (was MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia)

Post by Alex Kashk » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> >         Actually, the GUI came from Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center).
> > The concepts behind the Mac GUI *AND* Windows *AND* many other environments
> > (anyone know if X eventually came from work done at PARC?) was developed at
> > PARC, not Apple.

> The Apple engineers went there to see a demo of CrossTalk (sic) and came
> away with visions of the future in their eyes...

> Thanks, Xerox!  Thanks for the MacOS, thanks for ethernet!

        Since Xerox have set the pace so much in the past I'd like to see
what they are up to now, if they still exist. Do they have a web page or
ftp site or a source for preprints?
--
Alex Kashko

What are Xerox up to (was MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia)

Post by David Ca » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   Xerox PARC are currently into ubiquitous computing. They are no longer
making homegrown OSs (they use mostly Unix/ X I think). They have things
like wireless nets, small pager type computers (but that can also do
things like work out where the wearer is, and are fully integrated into
the network), X window sessions that can change display without exiting,
networked electronic whiteboards (so you can do computer mediated
collaboration without everyone needing a laptop in front of them).
Interesting. Stuff like if mail that is marked urgent arrives, the pager
will let you know, and you can then use it to bring your mail window up on
any x term in the room (or any of your other stuff).
   They also did some stuff fairly recently about 3D/ VR user interfaces.
Directories that are hierarchies of spinnable wheels, etc.

   They are still doing interesting stuff!

   Cheers

         David