AVI File Format

Post by John » Tue, 20 May 2003 04:46:36

Is there a website or document that describes the AVI file format? I know
that AVI can contain many different codecs, but I'm wondering if there is a
general guide that explains how to parse a file to determine what codecs are
present and any other metadata.

Thanks!
John

AVI File Format

Post by Lucian Wischi » Tue, 20 May 2003 05:42:22

>Is there a website or document that describes the AVI file format? I know
>that AVI can contain many different codecs, but I'm wondering if there is a
>general guide that explains how to parse a file to determine what codecs are
>present and any other metadata.

The win32 API provides lots of functions/interfaces for accessing the
content of an AVI file. Read up in MSDN.

I wrote some code which creates an AVI file. Obviously this isn't
exactly what you're looking for... but maybe you might find it helpful
to look and my code and see what kinds of API functions/interfaces are
used.
   http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/avi_utils.html

--
Lucian

AVI File Format

Post by Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia » Tue, 20 May 2003 06:32:27

> Is there a website or document that describes the AVI
> file format? I know that AVI can contain many different
> codecs, but I'm wondering if there is a general guide
> that explains how to parse a file to determine what
> codecs are present and any other metadata.

> Thanks!
> John

Most MS SDKs (Platform, Library, DirectX...) contain the
original (somewhat outdated) document. Search for "RIFF
AVI".

1. AVI file format

Does anyone have any technical information about the format
of .avi (Video for Windoze) files.  I'm not interested in the
encoding formats, just the header information and general
structure.

Thanks

Ian
---

2. Apache 1.3 on Windows XP

3. Question on OS2 .AVI File Format Con

4. screen shot

5. Avi file format

6. Emulator causes Windows XP Professional to crash

7. AVI file format

8. Screen Dump

9. AVI file format needed

10. Question on OS2 .AVI File Format Conversion

11. Does AVI file format determines anyithing ?

12. looking for AVI file format

13. AVI File Format