QuickTime Musical Instruments

Post by chri » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I need to know if the sounds on Apple's Quicktime Musical Instruments
extension is General MIDI compatible and where I might find a list of
what the sounds are if it is not GM compatible.  Thanks.

Chris

QuickTime Musical Instruments

Post by Dave Scarbroug » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

having trouble geting my qt movie on
a web site.  8bit audio, cinepak compression,
made on a mac 840av - tried ftp'ing (fetch)
up to server using 'raw data', 'binary'; neither
is playable on pc.  what am i doing wrong?
e-mail any ideers...  thanx in advance.

Post by Keith P. Evert » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I need to know if the sounds on Apple's Quicktime Musical Instruments
> extension is General MIDI compatible and where I might find a list of
> what the sounds are if it is not GM compatible.  Thanks.

> Chris

Apple's Quicktime Musical Instruments extension IS GM compatible.

QuickTime Musical Instruments

Post by Randy Robertso » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

You need to do what is called "flatten" the movie.  Adobe Premiere
will do this as well an many other programs.

Post by Irv » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> You need to do what is called "flatten" the movie.  Adobe Premiere
> will do this as well an many other programs.

Flatten, AND "Make Cross Platform".  These are usually separate steps.

Irv

Post by Dr. Dieg » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I need to know if the sounds on Apple's Quicktime Musical Instruments
> extension is General MIDI compatible and where I might find a list of
> what the sounds are if it is not GM compatible.  Thanks.

> Chris

For full info on the QTMA (QuickTime Musical Architecture), see David
Van Brink's material at http://www.srm.com/qtma/index.html.

see Lingo scripts and MultiMedia tips
at the XtraMedia Web Site...
http://www.xtramedia.com

Post by SMF on the N » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I need to know if the sounds on Apple's Quicktime Musical Instruments
> extension is General MIDI compatible

Yes, They are GM compatible.
Not quite a complete set, but the substitutions are OK.

Charles.

% Standard MIDI Files on the Net
% http://www.aitech.ac.jp/~ckelly/SMF.html

Post by Niel Lo » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> having trouble geting my qt movie on
> a web site.  8bit audio, cinepak compression,
> made on a mac 840av - tried ftp'ing (fetch)
> up to server using 'raw data', 'binary'; neither
> is playable on pc.  what am i doing wrong?

You have to flatten the movie and make it cross-platform compatible.

You probably have MoviePlayer.  When you save a movie there, the dialogue
box has three options:  save normally, make movie self-contained, and
playable on non-Apple computers.

The first one saves a reference copy that takes up hardly any file space.
This is good on your computer only.

The second one saves a full copy any other Mac can play.

The third does exactly what it says it does.  Specifically it takes out
any resource forks in the file.  PCs can't handle them.

As for actually flattening a non-flattened movie, you need another
program.  However, if you are simply producing a movie in Premiere or
something similar, it has an option to flatten the movie.

Flattening, by the way, is taking a movie that has multiple video and/or
audio tracks and making them into just one of each.  PCs can't handle
multiples.  More than one shot doesn't mean you have multiple tracks.
Again, if you render a movie in a program like Premiere, it's probably
already flat.

--Niel

--
Turner Broadcasting Company is not Turner Broadcasting Corporation.

QuickTime Musical Instruments

Post by Dr. Karlheinz Ess » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way to include new instruments into the Quicktime MIDI
Synthesizer? Is there also a complete General MIDI Synthesizer for
Quicktime available? The one which is included is only a subset of the GM
specification.

Dr. Karlheinz Essl
SAMT - Studio for Advanced Music & Media Technology
Bruckner-Konservatorium Linz / Austria

www:   http://www.ping.at/users/essl/index.html

1. Quicktime Musical Instruments

Hi,

You need some shareware to start!

All Midi 1.2.1 is a drag&drop utility  which alows you to convert standard
or GM Midi files to QuickTime movies...
After conversion just start them like ordinary movies and listen.

Quickmovie alows change/edit instruments (if it is not a GM file you
always have default instruments -piano/drums)

Its quite easy!

_Luc_

Natural Sound & Pictures         Phone:              00352/329877
Mulimedia and More in            Fax:                      326370

2. OEM Disk

3. QT Musical Instruments and Director 4

4. Internet Information Services in Windows XP

5. QT 2.0 Musical Instruments cross-platform?

6. Microsoft Interactive Training

7. QT Musical Instruments only 8 bits?

8. Printing problems

9. Off By One Error in QT2.0 Musical Instruments?

10. help--bad sound from MS Musical Instruments

11. Processing musical instrument signal...

12. Musical Instrument Management software

13. Quicktime Musical Inst. and Virtual Memory