videocapture cards, compression & format?

videocapture cards, compression & format?

Post by Ian Ro » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 01:23:56

Could someone give me a brief introduction to the above subject? I assume that
each bitstream format (avi, mov, mpeg) has a particular form of compression so
my first question is:

Which format gives the best compression? What are the rspective ratios?
(Assuming the avi has no sound interleaved).

Which Video Capture Cards produce the most compressed file? Is the compression
produced by the chip or is it the software that does it?

Is there an elementary video capture card that merely converts from analog to
digital and then relies on software to do the compression?

Thanks,
Ian Rowe

Post by Charles Wiltg » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:56:41

> Could someone give me a brief introduction to the above subject? I assume that
> each bitstream format (avi, mov, mpeg) has a particular form of compression

Not true.  Video for Windows ".avi" and QuickTime ".mov" files can using
different compression methods (even within the same file, in QuickTime's
case at least).

MPEG movies can even be in QuickTime format, which would allow them to
have a closed captioned text track as well, for example.

--
Charles Wiltgen    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and

(INTP)              At night, the ice weasels come." - Nietzsche (Groening)

The QuickTime FAQ   The Apocalypso!  <http://www.mcs.net/~cwiltgen>