Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by Matt » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 02:26:31

Hi all,
I've been seriously considering buying the Alienware Nav
Pro and nearly all of my MCE questions have been answered
by browsing the boards -- thanks!

One last question: My wife has to watch Friends AND
Survivor every Thursday night (both running at 8:00 EST on
different channels). We typically record one on a VCR and
watch the other live. Can MCE record one show while
simultaneously displaying another on the television that's
connected to MCE?

As you know, this is something that's been possible for
years on VCRs and I wouldn't think would be a problem for
MCE but just want confirmation.

Many Thanks!
Matt

P.S. no flames, please, regarding choice of television
shows, thanks :-)

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by WaltS [MVP WMC » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:18:22

Matt -

Unfortunately, no - MC will record the channel to which your Set Top Box is
set, therefore also displaying the program it is recording.

--

 - -              Online since CompuServe's MicroNET           ^  ---
 - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition       - -

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by Andy Vanosdale [MCE MVP » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:21:07

Matt,

Don't worry about the choice of TV shows.  That is a good combination :-).
However, MCE only allows for one tuner.  So you can only record a show or
watch a show live.  This is a drawback, but, since this is just the first
version of MCE, there is always the possibility of it becoming a feature for
a future version.  Microsoft is listening to your comments and comments like
this one can help them make a smart choice about what to put in for the next
version.  Thanks and sorry.

--
Andy Vanosdale
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition

Quote:> Hi all,
> I've been seriously considering buying the Alienware Nav
> Pro and nearly all of my MCE questions have been answered
> by browsing the boards -- thanks!

> One last question: My wife has to watch Friends AND
> Survivor every Thursday night (both running at 8:00 EST on
> different channels). We typically record one on a VCR and
> watch the other live. Can MCE record one show while
> simultaneously displaying another on the television that's
> connected to MCE?

> As you know, this is something that's been possible for
> years on VCRs and I wouldn't think would be a problem for
> MCE but just want confirmation.

> Many Thanks!
> Matt

> P.S. no flames, please, regarding choice of television
> shows, thanks :-)

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by John Elsbree [MS » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:32:05

Unfortunately, the Media Center PC can't do this by itself, because it has
only one TV tuner. But there is a workaround, provided you're not getting
your TV via satellite or digital cable.

First, let's recall why it's "been possible for years on VCRs". The reason
is that your VCR and your TV each have a TV tuner. So, while the VCR's tuner
is recording one show, your TV's tuner allows you to watch the other.

Here's the workaround:

If you want to record one show on your Media Center PC while watching
another live, you'll need to put a splitter on your cable or antenna feed,
and connect it to both the Media Center PC's tuner and the antenna input on
your TV. When you want to watch TV while the PC is recording something else,
you should switch to your TV's antenna input, and use your TV's remote
control. Of course, you won't have any of the Media Center benefits, such as
the pause feature, while operating this way. When you want to watch what's
on the PC, switch your TV to the input that's connected to the PC (e.g.,
Video 1, or whatever your TV calls it).

This technique will not work with satellite or digital cable, unless you
have two separate set-top boxes. Each set-top box will tune only one channel
at a time.

--
John Elsbree [MS]
Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these

Quote:> ... Can MCE record one show while
> simultaneously displaying another on the television that's
> connected to MCE?

> As you know, this is something that's been possible for
> years on VCRs and I wouldn't think would be a problem for
> MCE but just want confirmation.

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by Matt » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:36:16

FYI, I have no set top box -- would use MCE as the box.

I think I do have a solution, though. I was planning on
running audio and video from MCE through my AV Reciever
just as I do all of my other AV components to make use of
the optical audio.

If I split my coax connection (video source is cable here)
and send one feed to MCE and the other to the TV, I can
use my reciever to toggle between my standard cable source
(coax on the tv) and MCE as a component on the reciever (s-
video going from MCE to my input source on my tv via the
reciever).

To toggle the video signal, I'd just have to hit tv/vcr on
the television to switch the source from standard TV to
the MCE component on my receiver.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Matt

Blue(.) ---
> - -              Online since CompuServe's

MicroNET           ^  ---
Quote:> - -        Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Edition       - -
> ---                Associate Expert - Expert

Zone                ---
Quote:> - -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/        ---
Quote:> - - 52 Ken

http://www.dorsai.org/~walts/         Sun 57 - -
Quote:

>.

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by Matt » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:40:13

Thanks John!
I actually just posted a message describing the same
procedure as you recommend below, using my AV receiver to
manage the signal switching.

- Matt

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Unfortunately, the Media Center PC can't do this by

itself, because it has
Quote:>only one TV tuner. But there is a workaround, provided
you're not getting
>your TV via satellite or digital cable.

>First, let's recall why it's "been possible for years on
VCRs". The reason
>is that your VCR and your TV each have a TV tuner. So,

while the VCR's tuner
Quote:>is recording one show, your TV's tuner allows you to
watch the other.

>Here's the workaround:

>If you want to record one show on your Media Center PC
while watching
>another live, you'll need to put a splitter on your cable
or antenna feed,
>and connect it to both the Media Center PC's tuner and

the antenna input on
Quote:>your TV. When you want to watch TV while the PC is

recording something else,
Quote:>you should switch to your TV's antenna input, and use
your TV's remote
>control. Of course, you won't have any of the Media

Center benefits, such as
Quote:>the pause feature, while operating this way. When you

want to watch what's
Quote:>on the PC, switch your TV to the input that's connected
to the PC (e.g.,
>Video 1, or whatever your TV calls it).

>This technique will not work with satellite or digital
cable, unless you
>have two separate set-top boxes. Each set-top box will

tune only one channel
>at a time.

>--
>John Elsbree [MS]
confers no rights.
>Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions.
Please use these
>newsgroups.

>> ... Can MCE record one show while
>> simultaneously displaying another on the television
that's
>> connected to MCE?

>> As you know, this is something that's been possible for
>> years on VCRs and I wouldn't think would be a problem
for
>> MCE but just want confirmation.

>.

Thursday night recording (Friends v. Survivor)

Post by James Edelen [MVP » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:13:42

That should work.

--
James Edelen
Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Portal Server
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center
Microsoft Associate Expert

> FYI, I have no set top box -- would use MCE as the box.

> I think I do have a solution, though. I was planning on
> running audio and video from MCE through my AV Reciever
> just as I do all of my other AV components to make use of
> the optical audio.

> If I split my coax connection (video source is cable here)
> and send one feed to MCE and the other to the TV, I can
> use my reciever to toggle between my standard cable source
> (coax on the tv) and MCE as a component on the reciever (s-
> video going from MCE to my input source on my tv via the
> reciever).

> To toggle the video signal, I'd just have to hit tv/vcr on
> the television to switch the source from standard TV to
> the MCE component on my receiver.

> Does that make sense?

> Thanks!
> Matt

Post by RC » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 06:50:04

Matt,

We do just this same thing with our DirecTV receiver with TIVO built-in.
I'm surprised that the MCE won't do this.

Sounds like a cheaper out is to get DirecTV with TIVO!

Quote:> Hi all,
> I've been seriously considering buying the Alienware Nav
> Pro and nearly all of my MCE questions have been answered
> by browsing the boards -- thanks!

> One last question: My wife has to watch Friends AND
> Survivor every Thursday night (both running at 8:00 EST on
> different channels). We typically record one on a VCR and
> watch the other live. Can MCE record one show while
> simultaneously displaying another on the television that's
> connected to MCE?

> As you know, this is something that's been possible for
> years on VCRs and I wouldn't think would be a problem for
> MCE but just want confirmation.

> Many Thanks!
> Matt

> P.S. no flames, please, regarding choice of television
> shows, thanks :-)

1. Friend's Direct Friend's to AOL

Excuse you? AOL is $23.90 a month, not $22.00. And yes,
paying that much is totally worth it, because everything
about it is the best on the net. The other ISP out there
are just mad because they can not come up with anything
better than can beat what AOL has to offer. Everything
you said it that post was wrong, and was not close to
being right. I bet you wonder why AIM is the number 1
messaging service on the net, think about it. Also, you
need to know the facts before you speak.

2. SP1 - mucking about with internet connection

3. Friends don't let friends use AOL

4. Flash Instructors Needed/NYC

5. Friends don't let friends use Windows

6. Asymetrix Multimedia ToolBook 4.0

7. Friends pass along to friends...

8. How many files?

9. ATI Rage 128 and the Survivor Game

10. Survivor for PC

11. Programming Survivor Contest

12. GPF's and multiple threads; why no survivors?

13. Hartford, Ct. ACM meeting Thursday, 4/18/96