QT Musical Instruments only 8 bits?

Post by Lawrence D1Olivei » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:53:16

I recently got a NuMedia2 sound card for my Centris at home. This gives me
16-bit stereo in and out, plus a digital signal processor that I intend to
learn how to program at some stage. I've got QuickTime 2.0 installed with
QuickTime Musical Instruments and the Multimedia Tuner 2.0.1.

I tried playing some QuickTime movies that I had previously created from a
bunch of MIDI files before I got the NuMedia2 card, and I noticed that the
quality of the instruments wasn't all that wonderful--they sounded
distinctly 8-bit-ish.

By contrast, I tried speaking some text with different voices using the
Speech Manager, and there was a definite difference in quality between the
Macintalk Pro voices and the Macintalk 2/3 ones--the latter had that
typical 8-bit background noise, while the former were very clear (apart
from interesting clicks whenever there was a pause in the speech).

The output from the NuMedia2 was connected to an NAD 3020e amp feeding a
pair of Infinity RS2001 speakers. (I'm not rich...)

Are those QuickTime Musical Instruments samples really only 8 bits in quality?

Lawrence
enjoying having 3 sound inputs (2x8-bit mono, 1x16-bit stereo) and 2 sound
outputs (1x8-bit stereo, 1x16-bit stereo) on one machine

Post by Chris Manu » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 05:57:29

> Are those QuickTime Musical Instruments samples really only 8 bits in quality?

Yes.

There have been some posts about replacing the 8 bit samples with better
stuff using ResEdit. You might try experimenting with SND resources in the
QuickTime Musical Instruments extension. I don't know if SND resources can
be 16 bit though ...

Good luck!

--
Chris Manuel                    "Opinions expressed above are mine!"

Post by Mark Conigl » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 07:37:27

> Are those QuickTime Musical Instruments samples really only 8 bits in quality?

Yes - QT Musical Instruments are 8 bit samples.

--
Mark Coniglio -- Troika Ranch / Dance Theater

http: www.art.net/Studios/Performance/Dance/Troika_Ranch/TroikaHome.html

1. QT Musical Instruments and Director 4

I am trying to use QT Instruments to play a score in the background.  I
can do by using a QT music movie as a cast member present in every frame.

BUT

The music interferes with the play of the Director movie, controls
sluggish while playing, etc.

Has anyone worked with this?
Anyone know how to fix it?
Or is there an alternate way of working with QTMI?

Please help.  Any response is appreciated.

2. Screen goes to blank text mode after a while

3. QT 2.0 Musical Instruments cross-platform?

4. tape drivers for nt

5. QuickTime Musical Instruments

6. JPEG 2000

7. Off By One Error in QT2.0 Musical Instruments?

8. errors

9. Quicktime Musical Instruments

10. help--bad sound from MS Musical Instruments

11. Processing musical instrument signal...

12. Musical Instrument Management software

13. QT MIDI instruments