Media Player 9 locking up WinXP Home (possibly causing overheat?)

Media Player 9 locking up WinXP Home (possibly causing overheat?)

Post by Stephen Naylo » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:42:28

I have had the same problem several times recently.

I am playing back files in Media Player 9.

During playback, the sound skips a bit, I click on the progress bar for the
track I am playing to repeat the section of track that went wrong to see if
the glitch was in the file or a result of the system being busy. A little
while later, the track starts repeating a second or so of the track and the
whole machine locks up and has to be physically reset.

When I reboot, I cannot get into the system, I get part way into the boot
process and then the system stops responding again, i,.e. black screen or
stuck on the "Loading your personal settings screen". I can try to boot many
times and can never get into the system.

I usually throw a tantrum at this point and go to bed / watch tv instead.
When I come back, after at least 30 minutes, the system will boot normally.
When I look in the event log, there are usually a number of Hard Disk errors
reported, listing that the disk did not respond within a certain period or
that the firmware is out of date. I do not get these errors when I have not
had the lockups.

This is obviously some kind of overheat problem, but I was interested to
find out if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, have they found
a solution. It's very strange to get a harware overheat caused by software.

My system specs are as follows;

AMD (t.Bird) 1400
ASUS A7V133 Mother board (Bios 1009)
Sound: Audigy 2 (Latest Drivers)
Graphics: Geforce 3 TI 200 (41.09 Drivers).
Network: D-Link
Internet: Broadband - NTL 600k

Media Player 9 locking up WinXP Home (possibly causing overheat?)

Post by zachd [ms » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:10:18

Are you using Folder Monitoring?  That's the biggest background task WMP
might turn on that I'm aware of...

What's the perf look like at the time of lock-up?  Does it happen with WMP6
(mplayer2.exe)?

-Zach
See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
All e-mail to this account will bounce or be deleted - *use the newsgroups*.
--

Quote:> I have had the same problem several times recently.

> I am playing back files in Media Player 9.

> During playback, the sound skips a bit, I click on the progress bar for
the
> track I am playing to repeat the section of track that went wrong to see
if
> the glitch was in the file or a result of the system being busy. A little
> while later, the track starts repeating a second or so of the track and
the
> whole machine locks up and has to be physically reset.

> When I reboot, I cannot get into the system, I get part way into the boot
> process and then the system stops responding again, i,.e. black screen or
> stuck on the "Loading your personal settings screen". I can try to boot
many
> times and can never get into the system.

> I usually throw a tantrum at this point and go to bed / watch tv instead.
> When I come back, after at least 30 minutes, the system will boot
normally.
> When I look in the event log, there are usually a number of Hard Disk
errors
> reported, listing that the disk did not respond within a certain period or
> that the firmware is out of date. I do not get these errors when I have
not
> had the lockups.

> This is obviously some kind of overheat problem, but I was interested to
> find out if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, have they
found
> a solution. It's very strange to get a harware overheat caused by
software.

> My system specs are as follows;

> AMD (t.Bird) 1400
> ASUS A7V133 Mother board (Bios 1009)
> Sound: Audigy 2 (Latest Drivers)
> Graphics: Geforce 3 TI 200 (41.09 Drivers).
> Network: D-Link
> Internet: Broadband - NTL 600k

Media Player 9 locking up WinXP Home (possibly causing overheat?)

Post by Stephen Naylo » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:16:43

I was using folder monitoring, though I only have 225 folders in the
particular area that was being monitored. I have now turned it off

Not sure about performance at the time of lock up, though I have not noticed
a general decrease in performance prior to the machine bombing out. It's
something that has happened about 3 or 4 times now and puts my machine out
of action for a couple of hours, so I'm not trying to reproduce it if I can
help it :)

Having said that, you've awakened the tinkerer in me.......

CPU performance when using Media Player 6 (mplayer2.exe) is only 5% with
213MB in use. No glitches playing back. CPU Temp 57 MB Temp 45

CPU Performance playing the same track in MP 9 was 2 to 30%, but nothing
above that. 229 MB in use. No Glitches playing back. CPU Temp unchanged. MB
Temp unchanged.

Turned folder monitoring back on. CPU briefly moved to 53%, no other
changes. CPU now evened off below 10%.

Thoughout all this, I had no noticable problems.

I just remembered something that may be relevant. A short while back I
started Media Player 9 and the media library seemed to have disappeared as
there were no CD's or artists in it. This was just after attempting a
restore of some Media Player 7 License files that caused MP9 to crash.

Thinking back, it was just after this that I started to get problems. I
would also note that not long before this, I changed the sound card on my
machine to an Audigy 2, though I have done a complete rebuild of Windows
since doing this, so its not a conflict with my old sound card driver.

Stephen Naylor

> Are you using Folder Monitoring?  That's the biggest background task WMP
> might turn on that I'm aware of...

> What's the perf look like at the time of lock-up?  Does it happen with
WMP6
> (mplayer2.exe)?

> -Zach
> --
> (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
rights.
> All e-mail to this account will bounce or be deleted - *use the
newsgroups*.
> --

> > I have had the same problem several times recently.

> > I am playing back files in Media Player 9.

> > During playback, the sound skips a bit, I click on the progress bar for
> the
> > track I am playing to repeat the section of track that went wrong to see
> if
> > the glitch was in the file or a result of the system being busy. A
little
> > while later, the track starts repeating a second or so of the track and
> the
> > whole machine locks up and has to be physically reset.

> > When I reboot, I cannot get into the system, I get part way into the
boot
> > process and then the system stops responding again, i,.e. black screen
or
> > stuck on the "Loading your personal settings screen". I can try to boot
> many
> > times and can never get into the system.

> > I usually throw a tantrum at this point and go to bed / watch tv
instead.
> > When I come back, after at least 30 minutes, the system will boot
> normally.
> > When I look in the event log, there are usually a number of Hard Disk
> errors
> > reported, listing that the disk did not respond within a certain period
or
> > that the firmware is out of date. I do not get these errors when I have
> not
> > had the lockups.

> > This is obviously some kind of overheat problem, but I was interested to
> > find out if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, have they
> found
> > a solution. It's very strange to get a harware overheat caused by
> software.

> > My system specs are as follows;

> > AMD (t.Bird) 1400
> > ASUS A7V133 Mother board (Bios 1009)
> > Sound: Audigy 2 (Latest Drivers)
> > Graphics: Geforce 3 TI 200 (41.09 Drivers).
> > Network: D-Link
> > Internet: Broadband - NTL 600k

Media Player 9 locking up WinXP Home (possibly causing overheat?)

Post by B.Fared » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:37:14

Look up for the logfile of DrWatson open it maybe
there is some indication in there.
Your GF3-drivers may not been  reconnized because the're Beta version?
Something that may help is to install the Windows Media player Bonus pack!
If you are using a personal firewall or virusscanner, try to disable them
and
expirience the behavior of WMP.
Gl, Edo

> [...]

> > errors
> > > reported, listing that the disk did not respond within a certain
period
> or
> > > that the firmware is out of date. I do not get these errors when I
have
> > not
> > > had the lockups.

> > > This is obviously some kind of overheat problem, but I was interested
> > > find out if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, have they
> > found
> > > a solution. It's very strange to get a harware overheat caused by
> > software.

> > > My system specs are as follows;

> > > AMD (t.Bird) 1400
> > > ASUS A7V133 Mother board (Bios 1009)
> > > Sound: Audigy 2 (Latest Drivers)
> > > Graphics: Geforce 3 TI 200 (41.09 Drivers).

1. Media player lock ups

I am having a problem with 98 locking up when I play MP3 files using WMP7. I
am using a AMD 750 athalon on a ABIT Ka7-100 mb. I have the ATI Rage Fury
Max video card and I/O Magic sound card. I have 128mg ram and a 30gb hard
drive.
It will play the first couple of songs then my whole system locks and I have
to do a hard boot.

Any Suggestions??

Rowland Marshall

2. Slave not showing up?

3. CD-ROM causes lock-ups and re-boots

4. how to stream audio/video over the internet

5. WinXP-SP1 Lock ups

6. // CFileDialog can't select directory ????

7. Random Hang ups (not lock ups)

8. Crazy Stop Error last evening...you must read

9. Real player one cause that media player can't display the multimedia guide...

10. MEDIA PLAYER 7.1 LOCKS UP WHEN I TRY TO SELECT MEDIA LIBRARY

11. Windows Media Player 7.1 Locked on Locating Media

12. WinXP cd player (not Media Player) - does it exist?

13. Establishing VPN between WinXP Pro computer (at home) and WinXP Home computer (at work)