Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Matt Calder [MSFT » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:44:23

Today we released the final version of the Windows Media Video 9 VCM codec,
designed to meet 2 important needs:

1. Legacy encoding and editing applications can now support the WMV9 codec
in file containers such as AVI.

2. WMV 9 content can now reach desktops running Windows Media Player 6.4

For customers using the 6.4 player, the WMV9 VCM decoder will be
automatically downloaded  the first time the player attempts to play content
that has been encoded in WMV9. For installation on a PC where internet
access or administrator privileges are not available, we have released a
standalone installer package that can be scripted to install using any
software distribution software.

The standalone package containing the codec, EULA and documentation
outlining how to incorporate the VCM codec into applications is available
for download at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/codecs/vcm.aspx

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Lawrenc » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:19:25

I don't think there is a calculator that is available for
calculating the right bitrate to use for a WM9 2 pass
encode session. There is one for xvid, RV9, and divx5. Do
anyone here know a formula to determining the right
bitrate? I made a post in the doom9 forum and a microsoft
employee name MingCl mention the following:

"The way to calculate the bitrate for 2-pass VBR is
pretty much the same as CBR (except the factor of buffer
size in CBR).

However, one key factor, which we didn't seem to document
in the help of the VCM beta release (and I will make sure
that we add this in RTM), is that there is no frame
dropping allowed in the VBR mode on the encode side. That
is, if the specified bitrate is too low and the ecoder
can't meet this target even when using the lowest
quality, it will exceed the bitrate. This is documented
in WMEncoder 9, but not WMV 9 VCM beta.

But I am not sure whether this is the cause of Crabba's
issue since it is strange that the bitrate is decreased
when the key frame distance is reduced. It should be the
other way. So I do need to get Crabba's settings and
possibly source as well to repro the problem here."

I'm hoping that one of you at least have a clue in what
he's saying and clearify this for me. Thx

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>Today we released the final version of the Windows Media
Video 9 VCM codec,
>designed to meet 2 important needs:

>1. Legacy encoding and editing applications can now

support the WMV9 codec
Quote:>in file containers such as AVI.

>2. WMV 9 content can now reach desktops running Windows
Media Player 6.4

>For customers using the 6.4 player, the WMV9 VCM decoder
will be
>automatically downloaded  the first time the player

attempts to play content
Quote:>that has been encoded in WMV9. For installation on a PC
where internet
>access or administrator privileges are not available, we
have released a
>standalone installer package that can be scripted to
install using any
>software distribution software.

>The standalone package containing the codec, EULA and
documentation
>outlining how to incorporate the VCM codec into

applications is available
Quote:>for download at
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/cod
ecs/vcm.aspx

>.

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by MVP » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:23:38

WOW!! That really sounds great - I think!! When I figure out what that
really means, I'm sure that I'll be expanding my website someplace to add
the info.

PapaJohn

Quote:

> Today we released the final version of the Windows Media Video 9 VCM
codec,
> designed to meet 2 important needs:

> 1. Legacy encoding and editing applications can now support the WMV9 codec
> in file containers such as AVI.

> 2. WMV 9 content can now reach desktops running Windows Media Player 6.4

> For customers using the 6.4 player, the WMV9 VCM decoder will be
> automatically downloaded  the first time the player attempts to play
content
> that has been encoded in WMV9. For installation on a PC where internet
> access or administrator privileges are not available, we have released a
> standalone installer package that can be scripted to install using any
> software distribution software.

> The standalone package containing the codec, EULA and documentation
> outlining how to incorporate the VCM codec into applications is available
> for download at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/codecs/vcm.aspx

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Alex Zambelli [MSFT » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:55:44

A DivX/Xvid/whatever bitrate calculator should work just fine. Bitrate
is only data throughput.

--
Alex Zambelli [MSFT]
WMP Test Team

Quote:> I don't think there is a calculator that is available for
> calculating the right bitrate to use for a WM9 2 pass
> encode session. There is one for xvid, RV9, and divx5. Do
> anyone here know a formula to determining the right
> bitrate? I made a post in the doom9 forum and a microsoft
> employee name MingCl mention the following:

> "The way to calculate the bitrate for 2-pass VBR is
> pretty much the same as CBR (except the factor of buffer
> size in CBR).

> However, one key factor, which we didn't seem to document
> in the help of the VCM beta release (and I will make sure
> that we add this in RTM), is that there is no frame
> dropping allowed in the VBR mode on the encode side. That
> is, if the specified bitrate is too low and the ecoder
> can't meet this target even when using the lowest
> quality, it will exceed the bitrate. This is documented
> in WMEncoder 9, but not WMV 9 VCM beta.

> But I am not sure whether this is the cause of Crabba's
> issue since it is strange that the bitrate is decreased
> when the key frame distance is reduced. It should be the
> other way. So I do need to get Crabba's settings and
> possibly source as well to repro the problem here."

> I'm hoping that one of you at least have a clue in what
> he's saying and clearify this for me. Thx

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Smudg » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:34:10

> Today we released the final version of the Windows Media Video 9 VCM
> codec, designed to meet 2 important needs:

Is it possible to clarify some things about WMV9 VCM?

I have written a small application that enables a user to compress raw video
streams (YUV 4:2:0, in an AVI container) by making use of the Video for
Windows API. I would like to make use of WMV 9 but I am experiencing a
serious quality degradation: after some initial images with a good quality,
the rest of every video sequence looks very blurred and the quality does not
compare at all with what is produced by for example Virtual Dub (except for
the very first frames).

Therefore, I am asking the following question:

can I make use of WMV9 VCM in combination with the following function calls:

AVIFileInit()
AVIFileOpen()
AVIFileGetStream()
AVISaveOptions()
AVISave()
AVISaveOptionsFree()
AVIStreamRelease()
AVIFileRelease()
AVIFileExit()

Encoding and decoding succeeds, but the resulting quality is far from good.

Any pointer is more than welcome.

Kind regards,
Smudge

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Smudg » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:50:25

>> Today we released the final version of the Windows Media Video 9 VCM
>> codec, designed to meet 2 important needs:

> Is it possible to clarify some things about WMV9 VCM?

> I have written a small application that enables a user to compress
> raw video streams (YUV 4:2:0, in an AVI container) by making use of
> the Video for Windows API.

A little correction: it are RGB frames, stored in an AVI container...

Kind regards,
Smudge

Final Release of WMV 9 VCM

Post by Smudg » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:52:09

> Today we released the final version of the Windows Media Video 9 VCM
> codec, designed to meet 2 important needs:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utiliti...
also needs an update, since it is still discussing the beta version of WMV9
VCM ;-).

Kind regards,
Smudge

1. PalmPC SDK Preview release vs Final release

I have been using the PalmPC SDK Preview Release.  I just downloaded the
latest version which appears to be the actual released version.  Does any
know of any major changes between the two or have had any problems with
installing the final release over the preview release?

Thanks,

-Rob

2. Program Files list too big for screen

3. WMV 9 VCM codec

4. ATI and Windows

5. Can't get mpg4c32.dll to work with Win2000 final release

6. Where have all the printers gone, long time passing

7. Final Release of Windows Media 9 Series

8. help : task manager system idle process

9. WMP 9 Final Release: Sound level fluctuations

10. Media Player 9 Final release date?

11. Final Release

12. Changing WMP beta to final release

13. Santa Cruz WIN2K final release driver now available