Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Jo » Mon, 27 May 2002 11:27:34

I'm running a recently installed (and fully updated / patched) Win-98
SE.  I connect to the internet through a D-Link DSL residential
gateway hub using a fixed IP address in my TCP/IP settings
(192.168.ect.ect).

No problems using IE, Netscape, Catraxx (CDDB / Grace-Note CD
detection), etc.

I just started to use Media Player and instead of connecting to any
media resources when I click on "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide", I get
the following message in Media Player's window:

Media Guide:   Use Media Guide to find entertaining and informative
content on the internet.  When you log on to Media Guide, you ... (etc
etc).  Get connected to the internet and experience the Media Guide.

Similar message when I click on Radio Tuner.

The version of Media Player I have is 7.01.00.3055 (for some reason
this is called 7.1 by microsoft).

For what it's worth, when I go to Tools - Download visualizations, it
opens up Netscape to access the WindowsMedia visualizations page.
Under Options-Network, I have Proxy: None for MMS and HTTP protocols.

When I force media player to open the URL "http://windowsmedia.com/",
after some hard-drive activity and a few seconds a box appears with
the message "! The data is invalid" with 2 buttons (close and
details).  When I click details, another box opens (Windows Media
Player Error Center) and tells me that "No more information is
available."

So, any tips on how to get Media Player to recognize that a live
internet connection is present?  I've fooled around a little with the
"Internet Connection Wizard" but that hasn't helped (just what is this
Wizard for ?).

Thanks for any help...

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Katsukha » Thu, 30 May 2002 21:32:57

I'm in the exact same boat. For some reason windows media player will
not detect my connection using DSL. I get the exact same error messages.
If you find anything out. PLease let me know too.

Kats

> I'm running a recently installed (and fully updated / patched) Win-98
> SE.  I connect to the internet through a D-Link DSL residential
> gateway hub using a fixed IP address in my TCP/IP settings
> (192.168.ect.ect).

> No problems using IE, Netscape, Catraxx (CDDB / Grace-Note CD
> detection), etc.

> I just started to use Media Player and instead of connecting to any
> media resources when I click on "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide", I get
> the following message in Media Player's window:

> Media Guide:   Use Media Guide to find entertaining and informative
> content on the internet.  When you log on to Media Guide, you ... (etc
> etc).  Get connected to the internet and experience the Media Guide.

> Similar message when I click on Radio Tuner.

> The version of Media Player I have is 7.01.00.3055 (for some reason
> this is called 7.1 by microsoft).

> For what it's worth, when I go to Tools - Download visualizations, it
> opens up Netscape to access the WindowsMedia visualizations page.
> Under Options-Network, I have Proxy: None for MMS and HTTP protocols.

> When I force media player to open the URL "http://windowsmedia.com/",
> after some hard-drive activity and a few seconds a box appears with
> the message "! The data is invalid" with 2 buttons (close and
> details).  When I click details, another box opens (Windows Media
> Player Error Center) and tells me that "No more information is
> available."

> So, any tips on how to get Media Player to recognize that a live
> internet connection is present?  I've fooled around a little with the
> "Internet Connection Wizard" but that hasn't helped (just what is this
> Wizard for ?).

> Thanks for any help...

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Jo » Fri, 31 May 2002 13:00:14

Well, it's been 4 days, and I've received no e-mail on this subject.

I guess nobody out there knows the answer.

> I'm in the exact same boat. For some reason windows media player will
> not detect my connection using DSL. I get the exact same error messages.
> If you find anything out. PLease let me know too.

> Kats

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Treebl » Fri, 31 May 2002 14:01:53

Joe - I am in the same boat as you too!  I don't get it.
Any help would be appreciated.

> Well, it's been 4 days, and I've received no e-mail on this subject.

> I guess nobody out there knows the answer.

> > I'm in the exact same boat. For some reason windows media player will
> > not detect my connection using DSL. I get the exact same error messages.
> > If you find anything out. PLease let me know too.

> > Kats

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Mike Beckerman [ms » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 12:45:24

Folks, does http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#offline help you out
with this?

> Joe - I am in the same boat as you too!  I don't get it.
> Any help would be appreciated.

> > Well, it's been 4 days, and I've received no e-mail on this subject.

> > I guess nobody out there knows the answer.

> > > I'm in the exact same boat. For some reason windows media player will
> > > not detect my connection using DSL. I get the exact same error
messages.
> > > If you find anything out. PLease let me know too.

> > > Kats

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Jo » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:47:40

I went right to the registry-entry fix (forceonline = 1).  It didn't
work (I verified that the registry entry had been performed, and
re-booted several times).

I ran the Internet Connection wizard as follows:

- 1'st choice = I want to set up my internet connection manually
- 2'nd choice = I connect through a local area network
- 3'rd choice = Automatic discovery of proxy server
              = (use automatic configuration script = un-checked)
              = (manual proxy server = un-checked)
- 4'th choice = set up internet e-mail now = no (screw-off macro$oft)
- 5'th choice = connect to the internet immediately (yea sure why-not,
                It's not like I'm already connected eh?)

MP still gives me stupid messages for Media Guide and Radio Tuner.
Note that when I access a media resource using IE, it will activate
media player and media player will "play" the file in question when
necessary.

Before all this, I was running Win-95 (with the most up-to-date MP
available (or allowable) which was 7.0 I think.  Media guide and Radio
Tuner worked then.

Quote:> Folks, does http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#offline help you out
> with this?

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by Jo » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:07:32

In case anyone's still following this thread...

While running IE, I went to Tools-Internet Options-Programs and set
the check-box "Internet Exploiter should check to see whether it is
the default browser".

At some point after that a dialog box jumped up asking if I wanted to
set IE as the default browser.  I said yes.  Later, on a hunch, I
tried Media Player, and low and behold, the radio tuner and media
guide came up with actual content.

The underhanded games from Macrosoft continues ...

Media Player doesn't connect to "Radio Tuner" or "Media Guide"

Post by james par » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:33:18

Joe,

Thanks.  Upon reading your posting, I did what you have done.
Ya. Radio Tuner now start to function.

Thanks.
james

Quote:> In case anyone's still following this thread...

> While running IE, I went to Tools-Internet Options-Programs and set
> the check-box "Internet Exploiter should check to see whether it is
> the default browser".

> At some point after that a dialog box jumped up asking if I wanted to
> set IE as the default browser.  I said yes.  Later, on a hunch, I
> tried Media Player, and low and behold, the radio tuner and media
> guide came up with actual content.

> The underhanded games from Macrosoft continues ...

1. Player Latency between "Connecting to Media" & "Buffering"

Hi All,

This problem I am having occurs both in pre-release and
in the latest versions of WMP9.  I am encountering this
frustrating problem when streaming live from a
multicasting router standing between the player and the
WMS.

Connection between the MMS and WMP is very quick and the
stream rate of 1Mbps I'm outputting from the streamer is
being received immediately, as displayed by the Network
monitor in the Task Manager Window (following a burst of
data at 3.5Mbps for one sec, a constand 1Mbps is
received).  However, the player displays a status message
reading "Connecting to Media" for a whole 9 secs.
Following that I read "Buffering" for 1 or 2 seconds
(which is great), and I am only then presented with the
live stream.

I must add that the I'm forced to run this player on PCs
with a restricted environment.  The said PCs, installed
with XP Home, are stripped down graphically and
functionally (using specific User Accounts) as not to
allow corporate users from fiddling about with customized
settings. 99% of these tweaks are only cosmetic (eg.
Removing User Access to Disk Drives in "My Computer"),
the other 1% I've temporarily removed.  Some specific
tweak, however, must still be badly affecting MPlayer,
since when I run an identical test machine with none of
this changes implemented, playing of content starts in
three seconds!!  Selectively removing every one of these
changes would take forever!!

Hence, and having said all that, I'm here asking, if
anyone at MS is able to tell me what's happening between
the "Connecting to Server" state and the "Buffering"
state, so that I can more clearly identify what
modification(s) in my environment I need to make...

If anyone has some clue or needs some additional
information, do not hesitate to post back, and ideally
copy my email address as to reply ASAP.

Thanks!!

2. popups

3. No "caption" or "media info" in radio

4. IE6 cache breakdown - tough question to MVPs.

5. how can i delete items in the "radio tuner presets" in windows media player?

6. Desktop Architect

7. PocketPC 2002 Emulator Memory

8. 25 second Pause between "Connecting To Media..." and "Buffering..."

9. REPOST: 25 second Pause between "Connecting To Media..." and "Buffering..."

10. 25 second Pause between "Connecting To Media..." and "Buffering..."

11. REPOST: 25 second Pause between "Connecting To Media..." and "Buffering..."

12. DirectX Media 6: Connect Upstreamfilter "MSVIDEO:Brooktree Bt848 Capture Driver" with "OVERLAYMIXER"