Again...some sites say I don't have WMP..when I do, and it works....

Again...some sites say I don't have WMP..when I do, and it works....

Post by dphuntsma » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:19:49

"You do not have the plug in to play the
'text/html'.....click her to get the plug-in...' etc.

Of coure, the page it takes me to...is the wrong one;
'cause it takes me to a Windows 95 plug in page, when in
fact I am on an iMac with the latest WMP for OS 9 (which is
WMP 7.1x).

This happens frequently. I successfully use WMP
daily...except, at those websites where it tells me that I
don't have WMP! What's the problem?
(my 'problem site for today' is playing back one of the
news items on robtv.com, the first time I'm trying to
playback something from this site).

Would appreciate someone steering me in the direction of
how I can find out answers to this on my own; it's
frustrating to have the software, use it..and then be told
by 40% of sites you don't have it. (NOTE: I've tried all my
browswers; Netscape/Mozilla; IE; iCab, etc.  Same thing).

Standing by waiting for a kind soul to help.....

dph

Again...some sites say I don't have WMP..when I do, and it works....

Post by Corentin Cras-Méne » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:29:00

        Hi,

Quote:> "You do not have the plug in to play the
> 'text/html'.....click her to get the plug-in...' etc.

> Of coure, the page it takes me to...is the wrong one;
> 'cause it takes me to a Windows 95 plug in page, when in
> fact I am on an iMac with the latest WMP for OS 9 (which is
> WMP 7.1x).

I suspect two things:
Either the page uses a codec that is not supported in WMP 7.1 (eg WMP9)
or the site has a lousy mechanism to detect whether you have the plug-in
active and redirects you to the error page.
You can try using a browser that can trick the pages into believeing you
are using IE under Windows (I thing Mozilla does it and iCab might as
well) and it ***might*** do the trick. If it is a codec issue, then you
are out of luck....

        Corentin

--
 - Mac MVP (Francophone) -