QT 2.0 Musical Instruments cross-platform?

QT 2.0 Musical Instruments cross-platform?

Post by Mitch Coh » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I'm developing some stuff in Director to be cross-platform.  I'd love to
save a TON of space by using QT 2.0's Musical Instruments.  It's terrific
on a Mac.  Last I heard this still wasn't available on Windows yet.  is
this still true?  If so, are there any similar means of doing this, such
as addressing a sound board that can do MIDI?

--

Post by Gretchen Macdowal » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I'm developing some stuff in Director to be cross-platform.  I'd love to
>save a TON of space by using QT 2.0's Musical Instruments.  It's terrific
>on a Mac.  Last I heard this still wasn't available on Windows yet.  is
>this still true?  If so, are there any similar means of doing this, such
>as addressing a sound board that can do MIDI?

If the sound board can do MIDI, the QT2.0 midi movies will play back
using the card to synthesize the sounds. This is easier than using
MCI through Director to play back the MIDI files because you can
use the same code cross-platform with the QT.

Post by David Ritt » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> I'm developing some stuff in Director to be cross-platform.  I'd love to
> save a TON of space by using QT 2.0's Musical Instruments.  It's terrific
> on a Mac.  Last I heard this still wasn't available on Windows yet.  is
> this still true?  If so, are there any similar means of doing this, such
> as addressing a sound board that can do MIDI?

> --

I believe the QT 2.0 Musical Instruments are a subset of the GM (General
MIDI) spec. If you use the original MIDI files (before conversion to QT
movie), they should playback "appropriately" on any GM compatible sound
card - (Sound Blaster 16, RAP-10, & most others). Be aware that different
implementations of GM can sound completely different....  Cheers!   =-)

1. QT Musical Instruments and Director 4

I am trying to use QT Instruments to play a score in the background.  I
can do by using a QT music movie as a cast member present in every frame.

BUT

The music interferes with the play of the Director movie, controls
sluggish while playing, etc.

Has anyone worked with this?
Anyone know how to fix it?
Or is there an alternate way of working with QTMI?

Please help.  Any response is appreciated.

2. DUN precedence over LAN

3. QT Musical Instruments only 8 bits?

4. JServ

5. Premiere 4.2.1. QT cross-platform problems

6. XP media player

7. Compiler Fortran 77 on WindowsNT platforms - Cross Compiler from SunSolaris2.5 platform to WindowsNT platform

8. Strange Problem with CD Reader...

9. QuickTime Musical Instruments

10. Off By One Error in QT2.0 Musical Instruments?

11. Quicktime Musical Instruments

12. help--bad sound from MS Musical Instruments

13. Processing musical instrument signal...