Again: Multiple encoding streams, multiple bitrates simultaneously => CRASH

Again: Multiple encoding streams, multiple bitrates simultaneously => CRASH

Post by Dirk Groo » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:14:31

I posted this message earlier, but I got no answer. Is there anybody from MS
who knows this?

Hi there,

I am writing an audiologging application which can continuously record from
multiple audio inputs, and it can also write to multiple different WMA
formats. For this application I use the WMFSDK 7.1.
Everything goes OK when the bitrates for all channels are the same (the
application runs for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks, it just doesn't
crash).
But my application has the possibility to select different WMA settings
(bitrate, samplerate, mono/stereo) for different audio inputs.
My problem is that when I mix up different bitrates, or when I mix up mono
and stereo in different channels, the application crashes within about 48
hours.

I already debugged the application to see if there is a bug in my own source
code, but when it crashes, an access violation occurs in one of the WMFSDK
Dll's, and not in my own source code.

So my question is: Do you have some tips about mixing up different WMA
bitrates/samplerates in multiple encoding sessions in 1 application, or is
it just not recommended to do this?

Greets,

Dirk Groot

Again: Multiple encoding streams, multiple bitrates simultaneously => CRASH

Post by Geoff Dunbar [MS » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 04:57:57

What you're describing _should_ work, so it must be some sort of bug, either
in your code or in the WMF SDK code itself. The first thing to do is to
check your code and be sure everything is functioning as planned.

If your code looks all right, you could either contact MS support to get
more help, or try to workaround the problem. A quick workaround that I can
think of would be to launch a new process for each encoding session.

Geoff

Quote:> I posted this message earlier, but I got no answer. Is there anybody from
MS
> who knows this?

> Hi there,

> I am writing an audiologging application which can continuously record
from
> multiple audio inputs, and it can also write to multiple different WMA
> formats. For this application I use the WMFSDK 7.1.
> Everything goes OK when the bitrates for all channels are the same (the
> application runs for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks, it just doesn't
> crash).
> But my application has the possibility to select different WMA settings
> (bitrate, samplerate, mono/stereo) for different audio inputs.
> My problem is that when I mix up different bitrates, or when I mix up mono
> and stereo in different channels, the application crashes within about 48
> hours.

> I already debugged the application to see if there is a bug in my own
source
> code, but when it crashes, an access violation occurs in one of the WMFSDK
> Dll's, and not in my own source code.

> So my question is: Do you have some tips about mixing up different WMA
> bitrates/samplerates in multiple encoding sessions in 1 application, or is
> it just not recommended to do this?

> Greets,

> Dirk Groot

Again: Multiple encoding streams, multiple bitrates simultaneously => CRASH

Post by Dirk Groo » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:30:50

My code is tested thouroughly in house and by customers who already use the
product for a couple of years, so that shouldn't be the problem. I tested
the program for memory leaks, writing to invalid memory, etc, but that's not
the problem.

I think launching a separate process for each stream is not an option,
because that means that I have to start my application for every stream I
want to compress.
Can it also be sufficient that I launch each encoding session in a different
thread?

What is the best way to contact MS support about this problem?

> What you're describing _should_ work, so it must be some sort of bug,
either
> in your code or in the WMF SDK code itself. The first thing to do is to
> check your code and be sure everything is functioning as planned.

> If your code looks all right, you could either contact MS support to get
> more help, or try to workaround the problem. A quick workaround that I can
> think of would be to launch a new process for each encoding session.

> Geoff

> --
rights.

Post by Dirk Groo » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:30:21

My code is tested thouroughly in house and by customers who already use the
product for a couple of years, so that shouldn't be the problem. I tested
the program for memory leaks, writing to invalid memory, etc, but that's not
the problem.

I think launching a separate process for each stream is not an option,
because that means that I have to start my application for every stream I
want to compress.
Can it also be sufficient that I launch each encoding session in a different
thread?

What is the best way to contact MS support about this problem?

> What you're describing _should_ work, so it must be some sort of bug,
either
> in your code or in the WMF SDK code itself. The first thing to do is to
> check your code and be sure everything is functioning as planned.

> If your code looks all right, you could either contact MS support to get
> more help, or try to workaround the problem. A quick workaround that I can
> think of would be to launch a new process for each encoding session.

> Geoff

> --
rights.

Post by Dirk Groo » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:31:52

My code is tested thouroughly in house and by customers who already use the
product for a couple of years, so that shouldn't be the problem. I tested
the program for memory leaks, writing to invalid memory, etc, but that's not
the problem.

I think launching a separate process for each stream is not an option,
because that means that I have to start my application for every stream I
want to compress.
Can it also be sufficient that I launch each encoding session in a different
thread?

What is the best way to contact MS support about this problem?

> What you're describing _should_ work, so it must be some sort of bug,
either
> in your code or in the WMF SDK code itself. The first thing to do is to
> check your code and be sure everything is functioning as planned.

> If your code looks all right, you could either contact MS support to get
> more help, or try to workaround the problem. A quick workaround that I can
> think of would be to launch a new process for each encoding session.

> Geoff

> --
rights.

Post by Dirk Groo » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:22:47

Again: Multiple encoding streams, multiple bitrates simultaneously => CRASH

Post by Geoff Dunbar [MS » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 06:15:41

Very strange. Well, you could try launching it on a different thread, but I
suspect that will have the same trouble. It's worth trying, though.

I don't know the exact steps to contact Microsoft support, but
http://support.microsoft.com seems to be a good place to start.

Geoff

> [...]

> doesn't
> > > crash).
> > > But my application has the possibility to select different WMA
settings
> > > (bitrate, samplerate, mono/stereo) for different audio inputs.
> > > My problem is that when I mix up different bitrates, or when I mix up
> mono
> > > and stereo in different channels, the application crashes within about
> 48
> > > hours.

> > > I already debugged the application to see if there is a bug in my own
> > source
> > > code, but when it crashes, an access violation occurs in one of the
> WMFSDK
> > > Dll's, and not in my own source code.

> > > So my question is: Do you have some tips about mixing up different WMA
> > > bitrates/samplerates in multiple encoding sessions in 1 application,

1. Again: Multiple channels, multiple bitrates

[...]

2. Same as on Macintosh?

3. how to encode files in multiple bitrates for streaming

4. comp.lang.javascript

5. Hot swap

6. Multiple channels, multiple bitrates

7. WinXP/infinite loop

8. multiple bitrate encoding

9. encoding multiple bitrate audio only

10. Multiple Bitrate Streaming Problem

11. Multiple streams encoded live and synchronized

12. Multiple Video Input - Encoding / Streaming