QT Musical Instruments and Director 4

Post by Chris McQuist » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 00:10:24

I am trying to use QT Instruments to play a score in the background.  I
can do by using a QT music movie as a cast member present in every frame.

BUT

The music interferes with the play of the Director movie, controls
sluggish while playing, etc.

Has anyone worked with this?
Anyone know how to fix it?
Or is there an alternate way of working with QTMI?

Please help.  Any response is appreciated.

QT Musical Instruments and Director 4

Post by John Dowdel » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 02:36:30

Chris McQuistin writes on March 2 of a sluggishness in response of a
Director movie when QuickTime Musical Instruments are used.

Sorry, Chris, no solid info on my part... I know that some
developers around the SF Bay Area have been using this combo to
great effect, but I haven't had the opportunity to work it myself
yet... I don't have the hands-on, cannot provide specific advice.

If it's of any help, then I have not heard of this issue before...
no red flags are raised. Best bet: try a new movie, with maybe a
ball animating across the Stage and a QT file playing, see if we can
get a baseline for success. Possibility: because QT streams from
disc, there may be conflicts with disc access for  other
materials... is all other media preloaded into RAM when QT starts?

Regards,
John Dowdell

Post by Chris McQuist » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 04:59:16

> Chris McQuistin writes on March 2 of a sluggishness in response of a
> Director movie when QuickTime Musical Instruments are used.
> If it's of any help, then I have not heard of this issue before...
> no red flags are raised. Best bet: try a new movie, with maybe a
> ball animating across the Stage and a QT file playing, see if we can
> get a baseline for success. Possibility: because QT streams from
> disc, there may be conflicts with disc access for  other
> materials... is all other media preloaded into RAM when QT starts?

> Regards,
> John Dowdell

Thanx John.

Most of the cast members are linked to the movie, then loaded into the
movie after the first frame.  The QT Music Movie I created to use the
Musical Instruments is NOT linked, but a permanent part of the Director
Movie.

I'll try inserting a chunk of video to see if a similar problem arises.
Meanwhile, anyone else have any ideas?

Post by Charles Wiltg » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 11:57:48

> Most of the cast members are linked to the movie, then loaded into the
> movie after the first frame.  The QT Music Movie I created to use the
> Musical Instruments is NOT linked, but a permanent part of the Director
> Movie.

That's not possible.  Any QuickTime media can only be linked, even if you
don't explicitly say so.  John's explanation is the most plausible cause
for your troubles.

--
Charles Wiltgen    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and

(INTP)              At night, the ice weasels come." - Nietzsche (Groening)

The QuickTime FAQ   The Apocalypso!  <http://www.mcs.net/~cwiltgen>

Post by Chris McQuist » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 15:42:12

> > Most of the cast members are linked to the movie, then loaded into the
> > movie after the first frame.  The QT Music Movie I created to use the
> > Musical Instruments is NOT linked, but a permanent part of the Director
> > Movie.

> That's not possible.  Any QuickTime media can only be linked, even if you
> don't explicitly say so.  John's explanation is the most plausible cause
> for your troubles.

> --
> Charles Wiltgen    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and

> (INTP)              At night, the ice weasels come." - Nietzsche (Groening)

> The QuickTime FAQ   The Apocalypso!  <http://www.mcs.net/~cwiltgen>

Thank you.  You are absolutely right about the linking.  I have since
learned more about Director and now know what the problem is.  I was
playing the music in a looping frame that included a long transition.  I
feel kind of stupid about it now, but there is no longer any problem with
using QT MI with the movie.  Just as long as I loop on a frame with no
transitions set.

Thanx to everyone that helped.

BTW, the potential for this in EASILY adding extensive soundtrack to a
movie is enormous.  I now include a soundtrack with over ten minutes of
non-repetitive music in my project.

Merci, tout le monde.

CMcQ

1. QT 2.0 Musical Instruments cross-platform?

I'm developing some stuff in Director to be cross-platform.  I'd love to
save a TON of space by using QT 2.0's Musical Instruments.  It's terrific
on a Mac.  Last I heard this still wasn't available on Windows yet.  is
this still true?  If so, are there any similar means of doing this, such
as addressing a sound board that can do MIDI?

--

2. USB Controllers

3. QT Musical Instruments only 8 bits?

4. Netscape has caused an error in Netscape.EXE

5. QuickTime Musical Instruments

6. ERRORS

7. Off By One Error in QT2.0 Musical Instruments?

8. Document Map is not legible

9. Quicktime Musical Instruments

10. help--bad sound from MS Musical Instruments

11. Processing musical instrument signal...

12. Musical Instrument Management software

13. QT MIDI instruments